GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS graphics"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/12/04 at 15:35
Regular
"Underbean"
this is probably old news but what graphics does it have looks to me its better than n64!
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:24
Regular
PDAs are designed to be PDAs, not gaming systems. Nintendo have incorporated the touch screen idea to create a new style of game. Thinking of it in terms of just a stylus wouldn't be seeing the whole picture, there are other methods of using it e.g. the thumbstrap for Metroid Prime: Hunters.

And look, I'm not going to do your homework for you. Considering you haven't seen videos of it running, I'm going to take a guess that you haven't read up on it much either. How will the touch screen enable better games to be made? Go and read some articles or watch it in action and you'll see.

Also, I did mean innovative features. Don't think the touch screen is the only thing that makes the DS a new experience - the very idea of dual screens is another, alongside wireless multiplayer, Wi-Fi and Pictochat.
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:23
Regular
Because PDAs are essentially high tech diaries for businessmen.

Surely even you could have figured that one out without assistance.
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:12
Regular
"and PC user"
Mav wrote:
> I wouldn't say N64 standard is poor quality. Have you even bothered to
> look at some of the videos for the DS games, rather than just
> screenshots? The graphics are actually really nice.
>
> And I don't see why Nintendo will need a "truck load" of
> fun games, or any more for the PSP has for that matter. The
> innovative new gameplay features will appeal to lots of people, and
> looking at the planned games it looks like enjoyable ones that use
> this system will be in abundance.

Darn, people really are putting all their hope on the Stylus idea. I guess thats what you mean by "inovative" - or at least thats the main part. So, can anyone explain how the stylus will change/make better driving games, or FPS type games. What advantage is there compared with just normal buttons?

And if this is such a big time idea - why dont we have a runaway games market for current PDA's - which already use a stylus?
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:06
Regular
I wouldn't say N64 standard is poor quality. Have you even bothered to look at some of the videos for the DS games, rather than just screenshots? The graphics are actually really nice.

And I don't see why Nintendo will need a "truck load" of fun games, or any more for the PSP has for that matter. The innovative new gameplay features will appeal to lots of people, and looking at the planned games it looks like enjoyable ones that use this system will be in abundance.
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:00
Regular
"and PC user"
Mav wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> Well at least someone else has actualy admited to the PSP having
> better graphics. We are making progress. Am I right in thinking the
> PSP screen/graphics engine has more colors compared with DS?
>
> Who ever denied it?
>
> What matters is how fun the console will be to play and what new
> gameplay ideas it presents. The DS may not have superb graphics, but
> at N64 standard they're impressive and more than suitable for what
> the machine wants to do.
>
> You can't sell a handheld on brilliant graphics - if people want
> that, they can go home and fire up a console or PC game.

N64 standard? Thats poor quality. But thats not to say I didnt read all the post - all I can say is the DS is going to need a truck load *fun* to keep players on the console. And from what we have seen with N64, PS, and now GameCube and PS2, the kinda *fun* games Nintendo have on their hardware is not what most people want anymore.
Thu 16/12/04 at 20:52
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> Well at least someone else has actualy admited to the PSP having
> better graphics. We are making progress. Am I right in thinking the
> PSP screen/graphics engine has more colors compared with DS?

Who ever denied it?

What matters is how fun the console will be to play and what new gameplay ideas it presents. The DS may not have superb graphics, but at N64 standard they're impressive and more than suitable for what the machine wants to do.

You can't sell a handheld on brilliant graphics - if people want that, they can go home and fire up a console or PC game.
Thu 16/12/04 at 20:48
Regular
"and PC user"
The new engine on PSP is not about simple Anti-alasing. Heck no, I have had that on my computer for many years. PSP does have a new polygon based technology when smooths out anchor points on vector type images (car wheels, etc).

UMD movies is a bit of an unknown. It is a smaller screen than a tv, so I guess than could drop the quality, and by the time the size is scaled down to fit the smaller screen, you wont notice. But this would save disc space. I would also expect to see some sort of video/audio compression, which would further reduce data size.
Thu 16/12/04 at 17:52
Regular
"Pwned"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> And I doubt many film companies would put their movies on UMD anyway.

Exactly. Becides, there's no way full length dvd-stlye movies will fit on to a UMD. It's just not possible. You would have to fit 9GB of data onto a tiny little disc.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It'll just be the Sony owned corporations and anyone that they pay money to. I see UMDs and Blu-Ray going the same way as MiniDiscs and Betamax.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:46
"period drama"
And I doubt many film companies would put their movies on UMD anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.