GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tried a couple of new games today."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 22:56
Regular
My brother came home with Resident Evil, a Christmas present from a friend.

I always new I'd be a bit :-S with the control system, but I was sort of prepared for that. Still, I was sort of looking for some great cinematics. I noticed that the graphics were a little dated now, but I didn't mind that.

What I DID mind was the FMV.

Noticed how it's split into lots of little videos (because some are just Jill's, some are just Chris' and some are for both so there's a lot of mix 'n match) and the reason I noticed because the flit in between them is anything but smooth. It sort of does my head in...

And I was expecting the controls but I was expecting to get along with them a little better. I did use "Type C" but even that's a pain.
So that game lasted me a whole 5 minutes.
I'll come back to it someday. :-)

I also got F-Zero as a pressie for my brothers and thought I'd test drive.
I know it's early days but I don't think it's a patch on F-Zero X on the N64. It IS a lot better in a lot of ways, but I prefer X's slightly grittier but smoother feel, compared to GX's slippy bumper plastic feel...

I sort of wish Sega hadn't made it. Not that I think they did a bad job, it's just it sounds like you're in Super Bowl with the loud music and commentator. Typical Sega/Capcom noiseness which is the character of the arcades but is it right for F-Zero?

But perhaps the new style just takes a bit more getting used to.
I dont think I'll ever rate it better than X though!
An F-Zero X "port" on the DS with all the garage options and track building ideas? That would be nice, especially with the option of uploading and downloading tracks online.

Talking of DS, does it have a slot for external memory?
Perhaps the GBA slot could be of use...
Mon 20/12/04 at 23:46
Regular
RE pwns Starfox Adventures
Mon 20/12/04 at 23:26
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Strafio wrote:
> But when people talk about Resident Evil, do they talk about how
> fantastically playable it was

In what way was it fantastically playable? :| I think I played Starfox twice as much as I did Resi. At least you could control Fox easily.
Mon 20/12/04 at 20:51
Regular
JFH wrote:
> Anybody that can complete everything in SSBM in one weekend is truly
> fantastic at playing the game. It is a huge game with all the
> trophies, events, etc.

Well, you know what I mean.
You can complete the basics - get the characters, finish most of the challenges, play through each mode once...
After that it's just replay value repetition.

You'd barely come back for that if it wasn't for the multiplayer modes.
Mon 20/12/04 at 20:49
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Starfox Adventures better than Resident Evil???

Well yes... technically...
But when people talk about Resident Evil, do they talk about how fantastically playable it was, or do they mention the creepy atmosphere, the great set pieces (you loved those window crashing dogs!) and blowing a Zombie's head off with a shotgun?

Starfox had nothing like that to take your mind off the mediocrity.
Sun 19/12/04 at 16:45
Regular
"kill my enemys"
i love ssbm
Sun 19/12/04 at 16:44
Regular
"kill my enemys"
ssmb is one of the best games i have played and also metroid prime 1 and 2!
Sun 19/12/04 at 13:18
Regular
Starfox Adventures better than Resident Evil???

It is an aquired taste.
Sun 19/12/04 at 11:04
Regular
"0228"
Anybody that can complete everything in SSBM in one weekend is truly fantastic at playing the game. It is a huge game with all the trophies, events, etc.
Sun 19/12/04 at 00:56
Regular
Ashman wrote:
> Soccer Slam has to be the most obvious rent-out game of ages. It can
> be all seen and done in a weekend; its bleeding fun while it lasts
> though.

In single player, yes.
I could say the same thing about Mario Kart though, and maybe even Smash Brothers.

As to Resident Evil, I've given it another go.
I found the ink cartriges for the typewriter so it's not so bad now... atleast I can save my game instead of starting again each time.

It's growing on me a little bit but fact:
The only things it has going for it are storyline and atmosphere.
Otherwise it's worse than Starfox Adventures in EVERY way!
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:39
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Project Rub is a stupid name. I want Madden DS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.