GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tried a couple of new games today."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 22:56
Regular
My brother came home with Resident Evil, a Christmas present from a friend.

I always new I'd be a bit :-S with the control system, but I was sort of prepared for that. Still, I was sort of looking for some great cinematics. I noticed that the graphics were a little dated now, but I didn't mind that.

What I DID mind was the FMV.

Noticed how it's split into lots of little videos (because some are just Jill's, some are just Chris' and some are for both so there's a lot of mix 'n match) and the reason I noticed because the flit in between them is anything but smooth. It sort of does my head in...

And I was expecting the controls but I was expecting to get along with them a little better. I did use "Type C" but even that's a pain.
So that game lasted me a whole 5 minutes.
I'll come back to it someday. :-)

I also got F-Zero as a pressie for my brothers and thought I'd test drive.
I know it's early days but I don't think it's a patch on F-Zero X on the N64. It IS a lot better in a lot of ways, but I prefer X's slightly grittier but smoother feel, compared to GX's slippy bumper plastic feel...

I sort of wish Sega hadn't made it. Not that I think they did a bad job, it's just it sounds like you're in Super Bowl with the loud music and commentator. Typical Sega/Capcom noiseness which is the character of the arcades but is it right for F-Zero?

But perhaps the new style just takes a bit more getting used to.
I dont think I'll ever rate it better than X though!
An F-Zero X "port" on the DS with all the garage options and track building ideas? That would be nice, especially with the option of uploading and downloading tracks online.

Talking of DS, does it have a slot for external memory?
Perhaps the GBA slot could be of use...
Thu 16/12/04 at 22:56
Regular
My brother came home with Resident Evil, a Christmas present from a friend.

I always new I'd be a bit :-S with the control system, but I was sort of prepared for that. Still, I was sort of looking for some great cinematics. I noticed that the graphics were a little dated now, but I didn't mind that.

What I DID mind was the FMV.

Noticed how it's split into lots of little videos (because some are just Jill's, some are just Chris' and some are for both so there's a lot of mix 'n match) and the reason I noticed because the flit in between them is anything but smooth. It sort of does my head in...

And I was expecting the controls but I was expecting to get along with them a little better. I did use "Type C" but even that's a pain.
So that game lasted me a whole 5 minutes.
I'll come back to it someday. :-)

I also got F-Zero as a pressie for my brothers and thought I'd test drive.
I know it's early days but I don't think it's a patch on F-Zero X on the N64. It IS a lot better in a lot of ways, but I prefer X's slightly grittier but smoother feel, compared to GX's slippy bumper plastic feel...

I sort of wish Sega hadn't made it. Not that I think they did a bad job, it's just it sounds like you're in Super Bowl with the loud music and commentator. Typical Sega/Capcom noiseness which is the character of the arcades but is it right for F-Zero?

But perhaps the new style just takes a bit more getting used to.
I dont think I'll ever rate it better than X though!
An F-Zero X "port" on the DS with all the garage options and track building ideas? That would be nice, especially with the option of uploading and downloading tracks online.

Talking of DS, does it have a slot for external memory?
Perhaps the GBA slot could be of use...
Thu 16/12/04 at 23:10
Regular
Nintendo should have never let Sega make a game for one of their franchises. Sega make crap games, the only decent thing to come from them since the DC era is Skies of Arcadia.
Thu 16/12/04 at 23:12
Regular
I really liked Soccer Slam.

Even then, I don't know it would've worked as a Nintendo game.
Two completely different styles...
Fri 17/12/04 at 06:39
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Nintendo should have never let Sega make a game for one of their
> franchises. Sega make crap games, the only decent thing to come from
> them since the DC era is Skies of Arcadia.

All is forgiven once you play Feel The Magic on DS...
Fri 17/12/04 at 09:11
Regular
Soccer Slam is alright for five minutes, but after that becomes unplayable.

F-Zero GX is a bit crap. Can't believe it was so highly rated to be honest; the biggest praise seemed to be the speed, which wasn't all that fast anyway. It only started to get fast when you got to the hardest difficulty. The story mode was also crap.
Fri 17/12/04 at 23:07
Regular
I'll defend Soccer Slam as for me it got better the more you played it and got into the tricks and tactica of the game.
Infact, out of all the multiplayer games I took to Uni, it's the only one that's been played more than once (infact it's all anyone will play, no matter how much I try and beg for just a single round of Smash Brothers or Timesplitters...)
Sat 18/12/04 at 02:24
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Soccer Slam has to be the most obvious rent-out game of ages. It can be all seen and done in a weekend; its bleeding fun while it lasts though.
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:25
Regular
Super Monkey Ball and Jet Set Radio are damn good reasons to like SEGA.

Resident Evil rules Strafio... sort it out :)
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:26
Regular
"boom boom click"
 ßulle†† wrote:
> All is forgiven once you play Feel The Magic on DS...

was that the one originaly called project rub or is that still to come?
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:29
Regular
It was originally called Project Rub. In fact over here it is still called Project Rub.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.