GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Powersuply blown up. No Literally"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/12/04 at 17:33
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Ok, I was playing HL2 after replacing a power supply which burnt out earlier in the day so the case was of. This was an older and less powerful PSUso I had the neon’s and case fans unplugged. About 10 minuets in it powered of, just everything went of. I left for it for a few seconds pressed the power button and there was a big spark inside the power supply and like a loud popping sound followed by a little smoke. This was my 3rd power supply in less than a week two burring out and the other one sparking. The two that burnt out were brand new 400wat ones and the older one was a 300. Would the spark take anything down with it such as the processor? And could the problem be my 9800pro which looks like it needs the most power? What power supply would u recommend considering I have a 9800pro a pair of neon’s and 4 case fans, three of them with LED’S on?
Sun 05/12/04 at 00:12
Regular
Why make the same mistake again for the third when the first 2 burnt out ...
Sat 04/12/04 at 22:57
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Well i should have it monday after school.
Sat 04/12/04 at 22:51
Regular
"Bicycle"
Well, as soon as you can, get it.
Sat 04/12/04 at 22:46
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
I cant really afford that much until after Christmas but in the mean time I’ll get my dad to pop over the local computer shop to pick me a half decent one up. I realise now that the wattage doesn’t matter as much but the amps do. I’m getting the same as my dad's, it has lasted a while and been running around 14 hours a day with no problems, plus he is running 3 case fans and a set of neon’s and it looks nice (Blue case with two blue LED fans. I’m sure it isn’t my electricity supply as its only been eating power supply’s since my last major revamp.
Sat 04/12/04 at 20:20
Regular
"Bicycle"
gaybys wrote:
> Have a look at Tagan PSUs. A few people here seem to recommend them.

That includes me!

I'm currently running my PC with a Tagan 480W Whisper PSU. It's soo good. Not only that, but (not being overly geeky) Custom PC crowned it PSU king, for the moment at least, in reliability and power.

So yeah, have a look (www.scan.co.uk --> Power Supply Units --> Tagan), it's damn pricey at £70, but it's worth it - you don't want your PSU spazzing out and destroying you're kit.
Sat 04/12/04 at 20:12
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Thats quite a lot of PSUs. Maybe your electricity supply isn't stable and keeps spiking, try getting someone from the electricity board to come and have a look or get a power surge protector.
Sat 04/12/04 at 18:12
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Then it was most likely the power supplies at fault.

Have a look at Tagan PSUs. A few people here seem to recommend them.
Sat 04/12/04 at 17:37
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
No they were cheap crap ones, the two 400wat ones i got with a £30 case so they must be basicly made from cardboard.
Sat 04/12/04 at 17:35
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Were they good PSUs?
A high wattage doesn't necessarily mean it's any good.
Sat 04/12/04 at 17:33
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Ok, I was playing HL2 after replacing a power supply which burnt out earlier in the day so the case was of. This was an older and less powerful PSUso I had the neon’s and case fans unplugged. About 10 minuets in it powered of, just everything went of. I left for it for a few seconds pressed the power button and there was a big spark inside the power supply and like a loud popping sound followed by a little smoke. This was my 3rd power supply in less than a week two burring out and the other one sparking. The two that burnt out were brand new 400wat ones and the older one was a 300. Would the spark take anything down with it such as the processor? And could the problem be my 9800pro which looks like it needs the most power? What power supply would u recommend considering I have a 9800pro a pair of neon’s and 4 case fans, three of them with LED’S on?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.