GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Powersuply blown up. No Literally"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/12/04 at 17:33
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Ok, I was playing HL2 after replacing a power supply which burnt out earlier in the day so the case was of. This was an older and less powerful PSUso I had the neon’s and case fans unplugged. About 10 minuets in it powered of, just everything went of. I left for it for a few seconds pressed the power button and there was a big spark inside the power supply and like a loud popping sound followed by a little smoke. This was my 3rd power supply in less than a week two burring out and the other one sparking. The two that burnt out were brand new 400wat ones and the older one was a 300. Would the spark take anything down with it such as the processor? And could the problem be my 9800pro which looks like it needs the most power? What power supply would u recommend considering I have a 9800pro a pair of neon’s and 4 case fans, three of them with LED’S on?
Tue 07/12/04 at 20:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Seems ok there, that crosshair is a bit gayby though.
Tue 07/12/04 at 20:15
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
[URL]http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews2/taurus450-2.html[/URL]

I think this must be it.
"Coolmax Taurus 450 watt"
Tue 07/12/04 at 20:01
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
poopots wrote:
> Taurus X 450wat

Who?

Get a multimeter and check the rails.
Tue 07/12/04 at 18:11
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Ok, I’ve been and got myself a Taurus X 450wat. Seems quite a high quality one compared to what I had, the one that burnt out I took apart and found that this big thick coil in an ark shape was the culprit. It burnt a big black patch on the other side of the board. I think that the one that went with a bang was a blown capacitor but I haven’t checked yet. Though it did come with a huge 120mm fan but it has a 4 pin connector on, do I need an adapter?
Sun 05/12/04 at 18:13
Regular
"Bicycle"
Sorry, it's acually gone down to £61.69 inc vat.

And Enermax is good - but lets have a look on the reliably efficient German chart... Not quite as stable rails, not bad, but not quite there.

And their main competitor is slightly pricier too... So...

[S]PSU fanboy? Me?[/S]
Sun 05/12/04 at 17:33
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Coin wrote:
> Like the Tagan 480W!
>
> Now on sale at OCuK @ £64 inc. Vat.

Enermax Myself. Nice stable rails, loads of Molex points and a dinky blower exhaust. Does my fine, and I sill happily in the thought my mb isn't going to pop.
Sun 05/12/04 at 16:48
Regular
"Bicycle"
Like the Tagan 480W!

Now on sale at OCuK @ £64 inc. Vat.
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Most commonly overlooked piece of equipment.

Personally, I'd rather pay 100 quid for a good quality 480w than a cheap 550w. I'd hate fot the psu to take out my expensive mb / cpu / mem etc.
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:33
Regular
"Back For Good"
Usually the thing most at risk when the power supply blows, bangs or causes a smoke cloud (my favorite) is the motherboard.
Sun 05/12/04 at 00:49
Regular
"Bicycle"
Aye.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.