GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why PC gaming annoys me sometimes..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 21:46
Regular
Wanted to play Medal of Honor the other day, installed it, went to run it and an error, send error report and that was it, I couldn't play.

I had a look around the net and yes the error was there but no one knew a fix. Tried with and without the patch, some said virus so tried Norton 2005 and AVG, nothing returned. So I decided to do a full system scrap and start again in case this was something bigger than I thought.

So after a full boot I tweaked everything and set it all up the way I had it, installed the game and played it, no error and I could play it. Issue solved.

Since then ABSOLUTELY nothing has been installed or done to it part from looking around the net. I haven't edited the registry etc. Came back to it tonight and EXACTLY the same error.

Went to Microsoft.com as they have a help for this exact error, solution contact EA support. Off I go to contact EA support, "This is a Windows problem, please contact Microsoft". Went back to Microsoft with the response and I was told to go back to EA.

So absolutely no f**ing fix, me really pi**ed off as I have no idea what this error is caused by, all my other games work absolutely fine.

So there we have it, you buy a game full price, it doesn't work and no one can help you with it. Can't even get into the main menu. I wouldn't care but it has sat un-played for so long and I really fancied having a bash on it.

Fantastic stuff, how w**k PC gaming can be at times, or should that be attempted PC gaming...
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:56
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Bugs can indeed be fixed, if developers actually get off their ass and provide a patch. It seems in Vampire's case that Activision and developers Troika are more concerned with blaming each other as to the games problems than actually setting about fixing them.

Reminds me of EA and Battlefield Vietnam earlier this year, buggy game that I paid £30 for, yet thanks to bugs and some horrendous un-balancing, I couldn't force myself to play it for six months when EA where kind enough to provide a patch., that still didn’t fix everything.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:46
Regular
Bugs can be fixed, especially on new games. When you get an already old game with a crap patch the doesn't properly install and a game that when you uninstall it requires you to then go into the registry and remove a series of entries in order to get a reasonable re-installation it goes a little beyond a joke.

I will give it one last bash tonight and then f**k it.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:04
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I get annoyed sometimes, most recently with Vampire the Masquerade. Great game, has me totally hooked, yet I just can't get around to playing as much as I want. It's buggy, glitchy and has loading times that really do take the biscuit.

I can persevere through these problems though, they aren't what bother me, what does bother me however is that Activision, the publisher, saw fit to force the release of the game six months before it was ready, possibly to ride of the success of Half Life 2. Thanks for that, I've paid £30 for a game not yet complete, and to top it all off I have yet to receive a patch that fix’s these problems that where forced on me.
Tue 21/12/04 at 11:58
Regular
ÂLÂS†ÂÎR

...??
Tue 21/12/04 at 10:41
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Apart from the Half life 2 steam debarcle, I don't think I've ever had problems of this nature.
Tue 21/12/04 at 10:37
Regular
"serenity now!"
Had to change the title.
Mon 20/12/04 at 18:08
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
Do you have windows service pack 2 installed? That could possibly mess things up.
Sun 19/12/04 at 21:46
Regular
Wanted to play Medal of Honor the other day, installed it, went to run it and an error, send error report and that was it, I couldn't play.

I had a look around the net and yes the error was there but no one knew a fix. Tried with and without the patch, some said virus so tried Norton 2005 and AVG, nothing returned. So I decided to do a full system scrap and start again in case this was something bigger than I thought.

So after a full boot I tweaked everything and set it all up the way I had it, installed the game and played it, no error and I could play it. Issue solved.

Since then ABSOLUTELY nothing has been installed or done to it part from looking around the net. I haven't edited the registry etc. Came back to it tonight and EXACTLY the same error.

Went to Microsoft.com as they have a help for this exact error, solution contact EA support. Off I go to contact EA support, "This is a Windows problem, please contact Microsoft". Went back to Microsoft with the response and I was told to go back to EA.

So absolutely no f**ing fix, me really pi**ed off as I have no idea what this error is caused by, all my other games work absolutely fine.

So there we have it, you buy a game full price, it doesn't work and no one can help you with it. Can't even get into the main menu. I wouldn't care but it has sat un-played for so long and I really fancied having a bash on it.

Fantastic stuff, how w**k PC gaming can be at times, or should that be attempted PC gaming...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.