GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why PC gaming annoys me sometimes..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 21:46
Regular
Wanted to play Medal of Honor the other day, installed it, went to run it and an error, send error report and that was it, I couldn't play.

I had a look around the net and yes the error was there but no one knew a fix. Tried with and without the patch, some said virus so tried Norton 2005 and AVG, nothing returned. So I decided to do a full system scrap and start again in case this was something bigger than I thought.

So after a full boot I tweaked everything and set it all up the way I had it, installed the game and played it, no error and I could play it. Issue solved.

Since then ABSOLUTELY nothing has been installed or done to it part from looking around the net. I haven't edited the registry etc. Came back to it tonight and EXACTLY the same error.

Went to Microsoft.com as they have a help for this exact error, solution contact EA support. Off I go to contact EA support, "This is a Windows problem, please contact Microsoft". Went back to Microsoft with the response and I was told to go back to EA.

So absolutely no f**ing fix, me really pi**ed off as I have no idea what this error is caused by, all my other games work absolutely fine.

So there we have it, you buy a game full price, it doesn't work and no one can help you with it. Can't even get into the main menu. I wouldn't care but it has sat un-played for so long and I really fancied having a bash on it.

Fantastic stuff, how w**k PC gaming can be at times, or should that be attempted PC gaming...
Thu 23/12/04 at 22:35
Regular
Fixed the b*stard. Trueform technology with the X800 cards conflicts with the boot sequence of the game. Turned it off for OpenGL and shazam, up and running.
Wed 22/12/04 at 20:37
Regular
"I hate steam!"
Yeah, pc's are starting to give me a cramp in my a**. I'm thinking of switching over to xbox Why? 1: I'ts cheaper
2: Don't need to upgrade
3: No bugs, errors or viruses
4: No installiation
Sure pc's have their advantages, but seeing how long i've been strugling to get H-L2 to work, i've given up all hope!
Wed 22/12/04 at 15:53
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
PsYİHo FoX 19 wrote:
> A bad thing about PC games is that you have to always know your system
> requirements and know when your PC can't handle a new game.

This isn't a problem ALASTAIR has :' }
And most PC gamers know their system specs exactly anyway, since the majority tend to build their PCs themselves, specifically for gaming.
Wed 22/12/04 at 15:50
Regular
"A man with a stick"
You're not missing much. Medal of Honor pales to Call of Duty, and while Pacific Assault does have a few nice new touches, it's still a repetitive, un-exciting action game with a few decent levels.
Wed 22/12/04 at 08:27
Regular
Gutted the lot again and went with Service Pack 1a last night. Installed the game and hit the same error. There seems to be no way around it. Either I have dodgy discs or it is something with the hardware I have. Seeing as it has worked a couple of times my bet is the former.

I will wait until I can be assed to go and buy the Warchest after I have finished with some other games I am playing at the moment. If it wasn't for the fact I had bled the Call of Duty games to death I wouldn't bother at all.
Wed 22/12/04 at 00:38
Regular
"Captain to you."
Service pack to has been a problem since it's release. People who played freedom force suddenly can't play it if they install service pack 2 or so i read on the offical forums. But my copy works on my service pack 2 intergrated windows xp just fine. It's such a hit and miss problem :(
Wed 22/12/04 at 00:26
Regular
I'd say your PC was doing you a favour by not letting you play MOH.
Tue 21/12/04 at 19:09
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
In response to the last 2 posts below; Thats not the problem in this case, as I happen to know that Alastair's machine trounces anything on these forums.

All I can say is; serves you right Alastair for buying into that Medal of Honour crap. :P
Tue 21/12/04 at 18:45
Regular
"Unretired"
PsYİHo FoX 19 wrote:
> A bad thing about PC games is that you have to always know your system
> requirements and know when your PC can't handle a new game.
>
> Whereas with a console any game that is produced is already ready for
> use and you know it from the get go so you either buy it or you don't
> without weighing the possibility you can;t even play it when you get
> it home coz your grpahics card isn't compatible, or you don't have a
> good enough monitor to do it justice.

It's a price you have to play to enjoy superior gaming.
Tue 21/12/04 at 16:22
"The Will of D."
A bad thing about PC games is that you have to always know your system requirements and know when your PC can't handle a new game.

Whereas with a console any game that is produced is already ready for use and you know it from the get go so you either buy it or you don't without weighing the possibility you can;t even play it when you get it home coz your grpahics card isn't compatible, or you don't have a good enough monitor to do it justice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.