GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 or Doom 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 22:08
Regular
Sorry for the poor quality and cheesy nature of this thread but I only plan on buying one.

On one side, Half Life 2 got 96% and is rated the best game of all time on gamerankings.com. The grav gun and enemies, not to mention the jaw dropping visuals sound sublime.

On the flip side, I want to scare the be-jesus out of myself with my swanky new Medusa 5.1 headphones and am eager to play some Doom for old times sake.

I thought I'd ask people that have actually played them. I did play half a level of Doom 3 on a mates PC and it was pant fillingly good.

Also, what's the multiplayer like on Doom 3, does it have any? - can you have Co-op? I hear the multiplayer on HL2 is nowhere near as good as the single player.

So - weech won doo yu thnk iz da best?

[S]sorry
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Tsk tsk Borat, every single post said to get Half-Life 2 as Doom 3 is little more than a tech-demo.
Still, your choice and your £.

I'm interested to see how long it takes before you can't be bothered to continue playing because you know exactly where monsters will spawn from, get annoyed/bored with having to swap between flashlight & weapon and sigh as yet another roomful of lights switch of before a red-vapour occurs and 20secs of mindless bulletspray occurs before healthing and repeating.

Still, the intro is good, and the first hour once everything goes wrong is good. But 60mins of good game vs can't be assed to finish isn't my cuppa.
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:05
Regular
Hey Borat, how much did you get your Medusa's for?
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:09
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> I picked up Doom 3 today at the budget price of 25 quid, not because I
> thought you were all talking nads, but because it was about time I
> faced up to the fact that I'll be getting both sooner or later and
> may as well snap up the good deal.

You've paid 25 quid for 1 hours good entertainment, that slowly tapers off into "I'll continue, but I'm a little bored......." territory.

If you had paid for Half Life 2 at 29 quid, you'd have paid for 16+ hours quality entertainment on Half Life 2, and god know how many hours on Counterstrike : Source (If you're an online gamer.)

I usually have at least an hour of CS:S a night, more at the weekends, and have been for about three weeks now. Still find it incredibly good fun (If you're in a good team / find the groove and dont get shot in the face within three seconds every round.)

Doesn't sound like such a good deal to be honest.

[Edit] And of course HL2 is the best pc game to have been released to date.
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:20
Regular
You will wish you had listened to us mate over Doom 3.

It all seems a good idea at the time but you will be bored sh*tless within the first hour wondering how many jock straps you will have to tighten in order to keep yourself awake.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The audio in Doom 3 is a bit pants to be honest, especially compared with Half Life 2. I was amazed to find almost every object in HL2 has it's own sound, the thud of wood, the clang of metal, excellent stuff, makes me want to update my soundcard and speakers just to appreaciate more.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:41
Regular
I did, set me back £180 for an Audigy 2 ZS and I-Trigue 3600 2.1 system.
Tue 21/12/04 at 19:03
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Oh dear, Borat goes under fire...

He did say he was going to get both Doom 3 and HL2.

Anyway Im sure you'll agree once you've got round to buying HL2 that it runs rings around Doom 3 in terms of pure enjoyment, graphics, sound and atmosphere. Ok so strictly speaking graphically Doom 3 is the more graphically advanced, but without a doubt Valve possess much better texture artists, and so HL2 actually look msmuch better than boring old Doom 3.

I have to agree with most people in here, Doom 3 will make your jaw drop on the right hardware, but this awe is hort lived as it will bore you mindless.

Important: If you plan to use 5.1 sound with Doom 3 turn off any motherboard and graphics card temperature monitoring programs. If you use ATItool turn off the temp monitor. Otherwise the sound will either revert to 2 channel sound or cut out after about 5 minutes.
Tue 21/12/04 at 19:41
Regular
"313>>>ukchatforums"
From what I've heard Doom 3 gets boring quickly. I love HL2 so HL2 all the way!
Wed 22/12/04 at 00:37
Regular
Yes I've got money burning holes in my pockets at the moment. I think the reason I made the purchase is :

A) It was 10 quid cheaper than HL2 in the shop I was in.
B) I have nothing but fond memories of my Geeky 4 hour Doom sessions with a mate using my 14400 modem and wanted to take a trip down nostalgia lane.
C) I hoped it would showcase my new 5.1 'phones better than HL2 (which according to you lot isn't the case).
D) I genuinely hope it will scare the crap out of me with all the lights turned off and the sound turned to ear bleeding level.
E) I'm a fool.

You're probably right, it'll get a bit dull after a while, but there's always our good friend, ebay.
Wed 22/12/04 at 08:23
Regular
I think every PC gamer played and loved the original Doom at some point. The thing is, nothing has changed, and they have kept pretty much exactly the formula only with really annoying re-spawning enemies that you have no idea about until they bend you over and take you in the ass.

There is a good 15-20 hours on none stop enemies, a pretty sh*g story and really linear corridors of endless similarity. I am a massive fan of FPS games but I really couldn't bring myself to continue playing it for more than a couple of hours after I had got over how good it looked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.