GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 or Doom 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 22:08
Regular
Sorry for the poor quality and cheesy nature of this thread but I only plan on buying one.

On one side, Half Life 2 got 96% and is rated the best game of all time on gamerankings.com. The grav gun and enemies, not to mention the jaw dropping visuals sound sublime.

On the flip side, I want to scare the be-jesus out of myself with my swanky new Medusa 5.1 headphones and am eager to play some Doom for old times sake.

I thought I'd ask people that have actually played them. I did play half a level of Doom 3 on a mates PC and it was pant fillingly good.

Also, what's the multiplayer like on Doom 3, does it have any? - can you have Co-op? I hear the multiplayer on HL2 is nowhere near as good as the single player.

So - weech won doo yu thnk iz da best?

[S]sorry
Mon 20/12/04 at 09:48
Regular
"\\"
Miserableman wrote:
> Half-Life 2 is perhaps the best game I've played this Millenium,
> whereas Doom III was almost certainly the biggest letdown I've had
> this Millenium.

You know what games are coming in the next 995 years then?

But yes. Get Half Life 2.
Mon 20/12/04 at 10:35
Regular
"bing bang bong"
eye'Aoe wrote:
> You know what games are coming in the next 995 years then?
>
> But yes. Get Half Life 2.

At the risk of sounding pendantic, please re-read what I wrote carefully, particularly the tense.
Mon 20/12/04 at 10:37
Regular
"\\"
Miserableman wrote:
> eye'Aoe wrote:
> You know what games are coming in the next 995 years then?
>
> But yes. Get Half Life 2.
>
> At the risk of sounding pendantic, please re-read what I wrote
> carefully, particularly the tense.

Shush. I've got a cold.

Sarcasm requires me to be in perfect health :(
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Half-Life 2.

Doom 3 is good for about an hour until you realise that all you'll do is
(a) Walk into room
(b) Kill spawned monster
(c) Onto next room.
It looks very nice, don't get me wrong, but it's simply room/kill/room/kill. It is literally a nice-looking version of the original game. No innovation, no "Wow".
Just lots and lots of shooting in very dark rooms at monsters that weren't there a second ago until you walked over the trigger point.

The intro/train station of Half-Life 2 has more atmosphere, style and verve than the 4-5hrs I bothered with Doom3. Haven't progressed beyond the Alpha Labs and have no real desire to.

Multiplayer is limited to 8 people per level. No Co-Op.

Half-Life 2 comes with CS:Source, the best online shooty there is.
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:22
Regular
So Borat, in conclusion, get Half-Life 2 :D
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:34
Regular
Problem with Doom 3 is that it is too 'old skool' for its own good. The times have changed and to be brutally honest the formula in Doom 3 isn't too dissimilar to that of the original - technical aspects aside.

You run shoot, run shoot and then run some more down linear corridors that are dimly lit - too dim for their own good in a fashion hat was popular 10 years a go. Half-Life 2 isn't a whole lot different but what you do get with Half-Life 2 is unbelievably good character interaction, a cracking story and a seemingly interesting goal at the end of it.

The first 30 minutes of Doom 3 are excellent, you interact with NPC's, get a great feeling for the excellent atmosphere and you think it is going to be one hell of a game. Unfortunately it quickly turns into a really dull blast fest that sees you awkwardly switching between weapon and flash light in order to see who the hell you are shooting at and it quickly becomes a complete pain in the ass.

From a technical point of view it blew me at first and then it blew me away shortly after ;) it looks extremely polished and the physics are pretty decent to boot. Audio/Visually it owns and between Half-Life 2 and this it is really difficult to compare them as they both excel beyond any other game on the market for different reasons. What you get with Doom 3 is close quarters combat with a tense atmosphere where as with Half-Life 2 you get a mixture of indoor and massive outdoor sections with an incredible sense of pace.

Half-Life 2 to be brutally honest destroys Doom 3. It grips you from the start, the level design is top-notch, as mentioned the NPC interaction is superb, visually awesome, handles superbly, very very very few grey areas that mar the gameplay and overall is definitely in 5 top 5 favourite games of all time. I know that is a heavily over used term but in this case the proof is the pudding.

Personally I would grab both and then you can see for yourself where I am coming from (no not behind the bed sheet).

On a solo purchase though most definitely Half-Life 2.
Mon 20/12/04 at 14:22
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Doom 3 is a scary game, but the more you progress, the less effective it is at maintaining these scares. Nice story, nice atmosphere, very repetitive game-play, it eventually gets to a point where you constantly have to look behind you every three minutes to kill yet another batch of monsters who have stupidly spawned all around you, hurling great big chunks of health before you have time to react.

Half Life 2 is a constantly varied game, with a great physics engine to boot. It's also got it's fair share of scary moments, a trip through a zombie infested town, one creepy section through a tunnel and so on. Multiplayer is also allot better than Doom 3'sw very limited offerings, If counter Strike doesn't do much for you then there's always the prospect of Grav gun deathmatch games, not to mention the dozens of multiplayer mods already being developed.

Get Half Life 2, save Doom 3 for a budget buy.
Tue 21/12/04 at 01:09
Regular
I picked up Doom 3 today at the budget price of 25 quid, not because I thought you were all talking nads, but because it was about time I faced up to the fact that I'll be getting both sooner or later and may as well snap up the good deal.

Not tried it yet as I've been setting up my Medusa Headphones which was a ball ache considering I had no manual for my audigy 2.

Still, got there in the end, the results are awesome.
Tue 21/12/04 at 01:13
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
My brother had the same ache when setting up his medusa's as well. :)
Tue 21/12/04 at 01:25
Regular
"Captain to you."
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> I picked up Doom 3 today at the budget price of 25 quid, not because I
> thought you were all talking nads, but because it was about time I
> faced up to the fact that I'll be getting both sooner or later and
> may as well snap up the good deal.
>
> Not tried it yet as I've been setting up my Medusa Headphones which
> was a ball ache considering I had no manual for my audigy 2.
>
> Still, got there in the end, the results are awesome.

I take this as he listerned to me and ignored all other posts :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.