GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 or Doom 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 22:08
Regular
Sorry for the poor quality and cheesy nature of this thread but I only plan on buying one.

On one side, Half Life 2 got 96% and is rated the best game of all time on gamerankings.com. The grav gun and enemies, not to mention the jaw dropping visuals sound sublime.

On the flip side, I want to scare the be-jesus out of myself with my swanky new Medusa 5.1 headphones and am eager to play some Doom for old times sake.

I thought I'd ask people that have actually played them. I did play half a level of Doom 3 on a mates PC and it was pant fillingly good.

Also, what's the multiplayer like on Doom 3, does it have any? - can you have Co-op? I hear the multiplayer on HL2 is nowhere near as good as the single player.

So - weech won doo yu thnk iz da best?

[S]sorry
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:08
Regular
Sorry for the poor quality and cheesy nature of this thread but I only plan on buying one.

On one side, Half Life 2 got 96% and is rated the best game of all time on gamerankings.com. The grav gun and enemies, not to mention the jaw dropping visuals sound sublime.

On the flip side, I want to scare the be-jesus out of myself with my swanky new Medusa 5.1 headphones and am eager to play some Doom for old times sake.

I thought I'd ask people that have actually played them. I did play half a level of Doom 3 on a mates PC and it was pant fillingly good.

Also, what's the multiplayer like on Doom 3, does it have any? - can you have Co-op? I hear the multiplayer on HL2 is nowhere near as good as the single player.

So - weech won doo yu thnk iz da best?

[S]sorry
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:11
Regular
Doom 3 bored the hell out of me. And I was only 40 mins in.

Half-Life 2 is the way to go.
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:13
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Doom 3 is dull dull dull.
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:14
Regular
I'm not hearing a lot of praise for Doom 3.
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I played doom 3 for about 20 mins.

I played HL2 for erm, about 25 hours.
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:59
Regular
"Captain to you."
Doom 3 i thought was really good, I didn't think muchof halflife it looks pretty and has nice effects but got bored driving all over the place and no really doing anything for about 70% of the game. Wish i had got 25 hours out of it i mite have felt like i got my moneys worth.

why only buy one? It's xmas get both and painkiller and farcry if you haven't got them. Go on do it.

Get them both but i like the atmosphere that doom 3 had. Doom 3 multiplayer isn't very good. Where as you get counterstrike:source and the new deathmatch with hl2 which are pretty good.
Sun 19/12/04 at 23:09
Regular
"We are the dead"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> I'm not hearing a lot of praise for Doom 3.

You won't hear anything considering we're miles away from you.
Mon 20/12/04 at 00:55
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Half-Life 2 is perhaps the best game I've played this Millenium, whereas Doom III was almost certainly the biggest letdown I've had this Millenium. Ravenholm in Half Life 2 is far scarier than anything in Doom III (well, anything that I saw, I only got a few hours in before I uninstalled it and gave it back).
Mon 20/12/04 at 01:40
Regular
"Captain to you."
Basically it all depends on the type of FPS game you want to play as doom3 and halflife 2 give very different experiences.

Halflife 2 has alot of outside levels mixed with some resonable inside areas. It also has some driving of a buggy and a boat. Ravenholme was the one level in halflife 2 that i thought was really good. Loads of headcrab zombies coming wave after wave. but this was the only part of halflife 2 that had atmosphere in it. All the rest was run around blasting things. Fighting the striders or flying things (don't know their name) came down to finding a rocket crate and hiding somewhere near it till you can get a shot (not very exciting).

Doom 3 is a inside corridor game, it doesn't try to scare it goes for cheap jumpy scares much like all the "horror" films of late. It has a good atmosphere and is a good game if you play it all the way through before judging. There is alot of story in the game too in the PDA's in the audio log and e-mails.

I'd say most people like halflife 2 so thats probably the one you should go for as your more likely to like it. But in the end it's all down to personal preference.
Mon 20/12/04 at 08:53
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
HL2 gripped me from start to finish.

Doom3, while having astoundinly good gfx, bored me senseless at the half way point. Still finished it, but it became a chore. Empty room. Monster spawns. Cheap scare. Back off, no room to manouver. Kill monster. Empty room. Monster spawns. repeat to fade.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.