GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 or Doom 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 22:08
Regular
Sorry for the poor quality and cheesy nature of this thread but I only plan on buying one.

On one side, Half Life 2 got 96% and is rated the best game of all time on gamerankings.com. The grav gun and enemies, not to mention the jaw dropping visuals sound sublime.

On the flip side, I want to scare the be-jesus out of myself with my swanky new Medusa 5.1 headphones and am eager to play some Doom for old times sake.

I thought I'd ask people that have actually played them. I did play half a level of Doom 3 on a mates PC and it was pant fillingly good.

Also, what's the multiplayer like on Doom 3, does it have any? - can you have Co-op? I hear the multiplayer on HL2 is nowhere near as good as the single player.

So - weech won doo yu thnk iz da best?

[S]sorry
Sat 05/02/05 at 17:33
hey dudes

im new to the forum but this conversation hit me as being the coolest I have bothe the games and I think there both equally cool and great to play games I love doom 3 but it is a bit too dark for my taste(well what do you expect its doom)you never see the light of day.You do have a flash light but the only problem with that is if a demon comes jumping out of the darkness and your armed only with a flashlight your slightly screwed lol anyway great game 10/10.
Half life 2 is a fantastic game i love the graphics and the gameplay rocks
you can also get a couple of cool veicles too witch is awesome. The gravity gun is also totally cool lol.
Wed 02/02/05 at 11:02
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Spirit14 wrote:
> Miserableman wrote- "At the risk of sounding pendantic"
>
> pendantic isnt a word...its pedantic...

I assume you're aware of the crushing irony of your post.
Tue 01/02/05 at 15:56
Regular
"object"
ive only played the demo of them but half life 2 is the best in gameplay but doom 3 is best atnosphere, ive just ordered doom 3 for 16£ online with free postage
Tue 28/12/04 at 20:32
Regular
Miserableman wrote- "At the risk of sounding pendantic"

pendantic isnt a word...its pedantic...
Mon 27/12/04 at 18:50
Regular
Also, the half-life 2 deathmatch feature is incredible. Amazing, in more ways then one. And the graphics for HL2 aren't bad as a side note, so yeh i think in many ways half life 2 is better. But doom 3 does its job too well. It scared me witless. I suppose you've just got to choose what u rather want...
Wed 22/12/04 at 18:02
Regular
Doom3 for me was terribly repetitive, and too much like the classics.

"Ooh, eery sound effects, dark corridor, scary monster jumping out of the shadows"

Repeat ad infinitum.
Wed 22/12/04 at 17:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Doom 3 isn't a bad game, it's just staggeringly average once the "What excellent graphics" wears off.
Predictable gameplay that doesn't test you at all, just shootshootshoot
Wed 22/12/04 at 15:58
Regular
"A man with a stick"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> D) I genuinely hope it will scare the crap out of me with all the
> lights turned off and the sound turned to ear bleeding level.

It will. At first, but it gets to a point where Id seemed to have given up building atmosphere and gone for all out, non stop action, which gets routinely dull. Some nice level design towards the end though, especially after the day trip to hell and back.
Wed 22/12/04 at 13:27
Regular
I Thoroughly enjoyed Doom 3 from start to finish, myself.
Wed 22/12/04 at 08:29
Regular
"Captain to you."
I think you made the right choice

a)Make sure the room is completely dark or it's near impossible to see anything.
b)Remember all FPS games are run in to area kill everything, continue to next area.
c)It is just like the games of old :')

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.