GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Swearing on the forums"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/12/04 at 10:20
Regular
"serenity now!"
For some reason, over the last few weeks, therehas been a marked increase in the amount of swearing on the boards, coming from both newbies and some regulars.

If you are new, please take a look at the rules: [URL]http://ukchatforums.com/forumrules.php[/URL]. Even if you're not, it might not hurt to review them again.

Just to get it clear, swearing in any form is not allowed. That includes starring out letters and replacing letters with ! characters etc. The swear filter in place will catch some but it is only a backup tool. In reality someone has to go through and edit or delete your post.

First offence will be a warning, repeated violations will result in a banning. It is such a stupid thing to be banned for because it is utterly preventable.

Please bear in mind that this is a family forum, visited by people of all ages, and it is irresponsible (and unnecessary) to use bad language around here.

Thanks.
Wed 01/12/04 at 12:47
Regular
"..."
On a serious note, I really don't see the problem with swearing. It's become used in such a widespread manner now that it has ceased to be shocking or in the least bit offensive to me.

Havingsaid that, as long as it is in the rules that we can't, I won't.
Wed 01/12/04 at 12:56
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Timmargh wrote:
> Serious question: when you say "starring out letters isn't
> acceptable" does this mean that ****ing is allowed
> whereas f***ing isn't? Or is neither allowed?

I would say the second one is not allowed, whilst we all may know the intention behind ****ing there are other words which could fill the stars.
Wed 01/12/04 at 13:23
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
Cong_Man wrote:
> On a serious note, I really don't see the problem with swearing. It's
> become used in such a widespread manner now that it has ceased to be
> shocking or in the least bit offensive to me.

true, but i guess SR need to take into account the fact the you might get small children on here who have never seen swearing and may think that is acceptable... leading to unhilarious consequences.
Wed 01/12/04 at 13:26
Regular
"..."
Vampyr wrote:
> Cong_Man wrote:
> On a serious note, I really don't see the problem with swearing.
> It's
> become used in such a widespread manner now that it has ceased to be
> shocking or in the least bit offensive to me.
>
> true, but i guess SR need to take into account the fact the you might
> get small children on here who have never seen swearing and may think
> that is acceptable... leading to unhilarious consequences.

That's my point though, I think swearing is more acceptable now than it was when I was a kid. In 20 years or so, all swearwords will probably just be accepted by everyone as normal words.
Wed 01/12/04 at 13:31
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
... but that's in 20 years. I don't have a problem with swearing. The air in our office is often blue when I have to scream my foul language louder than my boss to be heard.

As a general rule I do not swear a lot at all and I don't actually like reading it unnecessarily in posts. There have been other sites I've browsed though and just given up because of the vast amounts of swearing on them.
Wed 01/12/04 at 13:35
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
It's no big deal that we're not allowed to swear. Besides, it's funnier to make up your own swearwords.

"Take that, engine eyes!"

"Go flip yourself, motherfather!"
Wed 01/12/04 at 13:43
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
so true, you fish finger
Wed 01/12/04 at 14:23
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Lets not forget Flibbles wonderful use of the word "kitten"
Wed 01/12/04 at 14:31
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I would be one of the main offenders, point taken though.
Wed 01/12/04 at 14:35
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Haldisa wrote:
> Lets not forget Flibbles wonderful use of the word "kitten"

Yeah, but that was for comical effect in the story of my day.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.