GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm back! Nintendo DS Rocks and Merry Christmas everyone!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/12/04 at 19:20
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Well it's been a VERY long time since i created a topic on here!

Just to let you know i'm still a HUGE Nintendo fan, i now have a imported DS with:

Wario Ware Inc
Super Mario 64 DS
Feel The Magic
Ridge Racer
Asphalt Urban Racing
Mr Driller
Jam With The Band
The Sims Urbz
Zoo Keeper
One Line Puzzle

All games are FANTASTIC, any questions please ask!

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone on here, i hope you have a good one! :-)
Thu 23/12/04 at 19:57
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> That is the first time that you have admitted that console games on
> handhelds are not necessarily what people want. Thankyou.

I for one would rather have the PSP. So I guess I want at least some console games on hand held. The WipeOut game would be a start.
Thu 23/12/04 at 19:53
Regular
"bit of a brain"
That is the first time that you have admitted that console games on handhelds are not necessarily what people want. Thankyou.
Thu 23/12/04 at 19:39
Regular
"and PC user"
How do you know people wont want Wipe Out and RR on handhelds?

True, some games simply dont work so good on hand helds - but there are lots of things that could be used on hand helds, but is not at the moment.

As much as I have to consider the chance people will stick with small hand held games like on the GBA, others must consider that people are waiting for something new.
Thu 23/12/04 at 19:09
Regular
"-_-"
Top score wrote:
> The trouble for Nintendo it does not matter how good the DS software
> is it branding that will let it down in the long run. Not say that
> this is justified although I don't like a lot of Nintendo games.
>
> Sony Playstation branding will be key in the war.

HAHAHAHAHA thats the biggest load of tosh youve ever wrote.
Let me see nintendo, people associate with gamecube and GAMEBOY (come on everyone i know has one apart from a few) so they will associate with DS good quality console and games, being in the business along time and fun.
Then there's sony, people are supposed to think "Wow the newcomers to the hand held market they're cool and hip so im going to buy whatever they sell especially the PSP coz its shiney and we can talk about it in the playground".

Gimme a break
Thu 23/12/04 at 15:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> Things have moved on a bit since "Tetris" type games. Cant
> see many people going out to buy that type of game anymore.

Thats the problem though, don't you see? Your narrow minded view of the industry won't allow you to see anything but the future that you yourself have decided. You look at the Playstation and say it pushed Nintendo out of the market, and then make the completely illogical conclusion that the same will happen with the PSP. Then you say things like "I can't see people buying that sort of game" and "people want more graphically intense games", but you really don't know anything about it. What basis have you got for this idea that people want console games on handhelds? Is it just a feeling that you have? It's completely contradictory to the way things have worked in the past, with simple ideas with scope for a lot of depth, things like Tetris and Pokemon, being the biggest selling handheld games. I'm not saying that this is what the DS offers, with Mario 64 DS being a prime example, but games like Feel the Magic and Wario Ware DS, games that offer you something new, something intuitive, something intruiging, something different are what it should really be about, not which console does the best port of Ridge Racer or Fifa.
Thu 23/12/04 at 11:58
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Macintosh wrote:
> Thats one example, but you started of by saying it was a "fact,
> that older people just dont want to play handheld games".
> Something of a genrallisation.

Yeah, I'll admit that, because that's something I've been slating Top Score for.

But, from my experience, the audience the PSP is aimed at don't have teh time for handhelds.
Thu 23/12/04 at 11:52
Regular
"and PC user"
mattributé wrote:
> The fact is, though, that older people just don't want to play
> handheld games. My uncle, as an example, is around about the average
> age of a gamer now, around 28.
>
> He owns a PS2.
>
> Last Christmas I bought a GP32 (korean handheld) and, when he came
> round, I offered him a play. Which he did - replaying some of the
> finest moments of his gaming youth via the NES, SNES and Commodore 64
> emulators. When I asked him his views he simply stated that it was
> 'alright' but he simply didn't like handhelds.

Thats one example, but you started of by saying it was a "fact, that older people just dont want to play handheld games". Something of a genrallisation.
Thu 23/12/04 at 11:47
Regular
"tokyo police club"
The fact is, though, that older people just don't want to play handheld games. My uncle, as an example, is around about the average age of a gamer now, around 28.

He owns a PS2.

Last Christmas I bought a GP32 (korean handheld) and, when he came round, I offered him a play. Which he did - replaying some of the finest moments of his gaming youth via the NES, SNES and Commodore 64 emulators. When I asked him his views he simply stated that it was 'alright' but he simply didn't like handhelds.
Thu 23/12/04 at 11:45
Regular
Back of the net Macintosh
Thu 23/12/04 at 11:44
Regular
"and PC user"
Indeed, I would agree the hand held market has not yet changed in the same way. There's only Nintendo (well, and the N-GAGE). But what I would be concerned about, if I were Nintendo, is that Sony could change the market as they did with the PlayStation (home market) first time round.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.