GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm back! Nintendo DS Rocks and Merry Christmas everyone!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/12/04 at 19:20
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Well it's been a VERY long time since i created a topic on here!

Just to let you know i'm still a HUGE Nintendo fan, i now have a imported DS with:

Wario Ware Inc
Super Mario 64 DS
Feel The Magic
Ridge Racer
Asphalt Urban Racing
Mr Driller
Jam With The Band
The Sims Urbz
Zoo Keeper
One Line Puzzle

All games are FANTASTIC, any questions please ask!

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone on here, i hope you have a good one! :-)
Fri 24/12/04 at 01:25
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> Indeed, I would agree the hand held market has not yet changed in the
> same way. There's only Nintendo (well, and the N-GAGE). But what I
> would be concerned about, if I were Nintendo, is that Sony could
> change the market as they did with the PlayStation (home market)
> first time round.

All Sony really changed was bringing in competitive marketing.

Nintendo and Sega had gotten complacent and were charging small fortunes for the consoles and the games. They also made the consoles very awkward to devellop for and alienated most third party devellopers so they could concentrate on getting their own games out.
If the Playstation hadn't been there, the Saturn would've been the only console on the market for 2 years and milked it.
And then the N64 would've taken the next big step and milked it some more.
All at the expense of your wallet.

Sony's approach made it all that little bit more affordable and reasonable.
Infact, it forced both Nintendo and Sega to do a hell of a lot better the next time round (Gamecube and Dreamcast) but the damage was done to reputations and Sony owned the market.

Now Sony DO have the advantage in brand, because although the Gameboy brand is big, I think the Playstation one is a little bigger.
The thing is, this time Nintendo aren't resting on their laurels.
They're going to put up a fight this time.
They're releasing their handheld first, at a cheaper price and with more games available.

Secondly, the PSP has flaws.
More expensive. Lower battery life. If has a lot of features but some are almost pointless (like the films you can't play on normal DVD players) and others are done a lot better on independant devices (MP3 for example).

Lastly, Nintendo know the handheld market. Sony don't. And it shows.
All the PSP offers is the chance to buy inferior versions of your PS2 games to play again on a smaller screen. The DS offers a whole lot of things that big screen consoles can't offer.

But the PSP does have an analogue stick...
Which would mean it would have a better Perfect Dark conversion...
But Rare seem to have been assigned to the Gizmondo by Microsoft.

Now THERE'S a travesty of a console.
Combine the worst of the DS with the worst of the PSP...
The sooner it fails, the sooner MS will let Rare start playing touch screen, and then I might have to buy them...

And seeing as you're a big fan of "adult" games, I think the next generation of truly "adult" games will almost certainly use the touch screen! ;-P
Fri 24/12/04 at 01:12
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I'll be beaten down by the Ninties for saying this, but handhelds are
> for kids. And Nintendo do kids stuff better than anyone else. The PSP
> in some ways has more promise in that it "wants" to be
> "grown up". Reality is it will just disappoint if it can't
> do anything other than rehash old PC games.

All games are ultimately for kids.
I don't care how old you are.
If that's not Who Wants to be a Millionaire you're booting up then you've not completely grown up.

And what's wrong with that?
No rush for the pipe and slippers now! ;-)
Thu 23/12/04 at 22:38
"I love yo... lamp."
Macintosh wrote:

> Thats one example, but you started of by saying it was a "fact,
> that older people just dont want to play handheld games".
> Something of a genrallisation.

At what point does it stop being a generalisation? For instance, out of everybody I know who plays video games, only one has a handheld, at least that they actually play. Some have things like Sega Game Gears or original Gameboys etc. Only on has a GBA. Look at my age - I'm what is now considered the average gamer, or at least what both Microsoft and Sony want as the average gamer.

If you had spent the last month standing in GAME watching people buy GBAs as presents, how many do you think would have been for people older than 15? I'd guess very few.

Of course you could argue that the reason they, the average twenty something gamer, doesn't want a GBA is that they lack grown up games. This could in fact be partly true. But do you think that these games will change that?

> Multiplayer Quake 3.
> WipeOut with multiplayer option.
> GTA-VC
> The Sims
> Tekken 4 (with multiplayer option)
> Civilization 3.

My problem with that list is that there is nothing new there. I've played everything on that, and the clones, on a variety of formats for years. I want something different. Because like it or not, handhelds will never be able to offer the same experience that a home console can. They need to do something different. Imagine trying to play PGR2 or Burnout 3 or Metroid Prime or Halo 2 etc on a handheld. You just couldn't because of the size of the screen. It's a factor.

So originality is needed for handheld games, to make them appeal to older gamers. There are only so many rehashes you can do of Donkey Kong and Mario. There will always be kids out there that love them, because there will always be young kids who missed out on the glory years of the SNES. But the games you listed appealed to older gamers more than young gamers and these older gamers have already played them. Since I have severe doubts over how well most of those games will port to a handheld, then older gamers are most likely in for a disappointment.

I'll be beaten down by the Ninties for saying this, but handhelds are for kids. And Nintendo do kids stuff better than anyone else. The PSP in some ways has more promise in that it "wants" to be "grown up". Reality is it will just disappoint if it can't do anything other than rehash old PC games.
Thu 23/12/04 at 21:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> Multiplayer Quake 3.
> WipeOut with multiplayer option.
> GTA-VC
> The Sims
> Tekken 4 (with multiplayer option)
> Civilization 3.

What's wrong with playing them on their original platform?
Thu 23/12/04 at 20:56
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Quake 3 is rubbish on anything other than PC.
And Unreal Tournament is far better anyway.
Thu 23/12/04 at 20:55
Regular
"tokyo police club"
On a handheld, it probably would be.
Thu 23/12/04 at 20:53
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Macintosh wrote:
> Multiplayer Quake 3.

hahahahaha.
That would be DIRE.
Thu 23/12/04 at 20:48
Regular
"tokyo police club"
And how many of these have been confirmed or, indeed, even speculated?
Thu 23/12/04 at 20:46
Regular
"and PC user"
Multiplayer Quake 3.
WipeOut with multiplayer option.
GTA-VC
The Sims
Tekken 4 (with multiplayer option)
Civilization 3.
Thu 23/12/04 at 20:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
What other games are you looking forward to on the PSP then?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.