GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Magazines"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/05/01 at 21:24
Regular
Just something I've noticed when reading over a lot of contributions, is that the biggest moan about the PS2 is waiting for the hyped games to be released.
I think that the main cause of this is the fault of the magazines that month after month print updates on the big games of the future. I mean, we've all marvelled at the delights of Metal Gear Solid 2 (every month in every magazine in the last 4 months, but the update we really want to know is the release date (not likely until the end of the year - at the earliest!!!!).
I understand that the hype will help sell the hardware, but this will also lead to another disgruntled PS2 owner wondering when the game that they bought the machine for will be coming out.
Another effect is that current releases get compared - unfairly - to games which may be in the shops for 9-12 months. Surely the standards reviews should follow are those already set by games already released.
As time goes on games are expected to develop, and therefore standards will be continually growing i.e. a rating of 9/10 now may only be 7/10 in a years time when developers may realise greater achievements from the PS2.
One example is Operation Winback. Nearly all reviews I have seen say it isn't a patch on what MGS2 will be. What we really want to know is how it compares to what we already have to choose from - especially when the comparitor is some 9 months off.
I am an avid magazine reader - always looking for the latest news and reviews - but I have given up buying many because the new items would take up about 5 pages. I suggest others do the same and read them in the local shop instead.
Sun 13/05/01 at 15:33
Regular
I think the point you made about not having to read it says it all really. You don`t have to look at the cheats if you don`t want to.

Also, on the subject of confining them to solutions mags only, that would mean that if you did get stuck, you`d then have to buy a whole new magazine, just to find out one small thing.

Personally, I give a quick scan of the cheats section so I know what games are in there, but I never use the cheats unless I`m really stuck. The only time I`ve used a cheat on PS2 was for the running man cheat on SSX.
Sun 13/05/01 at 13:15
Don't know if anyone out there will agree with me on this one or not, but another problem I have with games magazines in general are the way they print cheats/guides/tips etc so quickly after a game has been released. In some cases, e.g. Unreal Tournament, cheats were printed before the UK release.

I realise this may have been caused by delays in the release and the fact that the magazine contents are finalised some time before being issued, but the fact that they are printed at all does annoy me.

I think cheats should be limited to being in the 'Solutions' series of magazines, the internet, Action Replay codes or given a minimum period after release before being printed.

It may just be me, but I get put off buying a game if a game winning cheat (e.g. invincibility) is already in print. It could be that I have no will power and that the moment I get stuck I would resort to cheating because I knew I had a code in a magazine, but I think gamers should be given the opportunity to explore all avenues before the temptation is put before them.

Some magazines issue help to specifically asked questions - which is fine - but usually as a supplement to their cheat zone.

I know that no-one is forcing me to look at the magazine pages in question, and that some cheats give new life to some games, but we should have to work for it.

A good example is Goldeneye on N64. There were a series of complex codes for invincibility, level select, infinite whatevers, but Rare didn't release details of these until some 2-3 years after release.

I know I have no will power - this has lead to years of smoking and alcohol abuse - but this is a gaming discussion site (maybe I'll try the 'life in general' one later).

Does anyone support this view, or am I on my own (again).
Sat 12/05/01 at 20:03
Regular
adrian wrote:
> I havent bought PSM2 but I might get the latest issue, if you guys
> think its the best. Is it the mag with the free DVD movie disc like
> PSW? When does the latest issue come out, or has it just come
> out?

I certainly think it is the best. It usually comes out in the last week of each month, so we are just approaching the mid point between the releases of the issues. The next one should be out towards the end of the month. (Late 20s probably).
Sat 12/05/01 at 18:49
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
Dunno either of ya questions but it is the best magazine with the official one in a close second.
Sat 12/05/01 at 18:43
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I havent bought PSM2 but I might get the latest issue, if you guys think its the best. Is it the mag with the free DVD movie disc like PSW? When does the latest issue come out, or has it just come out?

Sat 12/05/01 at 15:06
Regular
144 wrote:
> PSM2 is my best magazine.

True for me to. I think the mag is great. Also, the only mention of MGS2 in the latest issue (as far as I can remember) is the little tips section at the back for the demo. They are focusing more on stuff like Crazy Taxi, Code Veronica and GT3 (games that aren`t that far off).
Sat 12/05/01 at 14:45
Regular
PSM2 is my best magazine..
Sat 12/05/01 at 14:35
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I was wondering where it was. It hasnt been in my local store yet, maybe its been delayed a few days.

IMO I think that PSW is very good. There may be better magazines that have better Reviews or write ups, but I spend £2.99 on the DVD. I use to buy games magazines alot but then stopped. I thought why spend about £5-10 a month on magazines when I can get all the information and more from the internet for free. I only buy the magazine for the DVD as the movies on there are very good quality and if avaiable on the internet would take ages to get.
Sat 12/05/01 at 13:34
Has anyone found the new issue of PSW yet? It was supposed to be on sale on the 10th May but i can't find it anywhere. I only want it for the Smackdown Exclusive
Sat 12/05/01 at 13:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
Wòókiee Møn§Ý€R wrote:

'PSM'

Poor_Scouser_Murphy?

:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.