GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Magazines"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/05/01 at 21:24
Regular
Just something I've noticed when reading over a lot of contributions, is that the biggest moan about the PS2 is waiting for the hyped games to be released.
I think that the main cause of this is the fault of the magazines that month after month print updates on the big games of the future. I mean, we've all marvelled at the delights of Metal Gear Solid 2 (every month in every magazine in the last 4 months, but the update we really want to know is the release date (not likely until the end of the year - at the earliest!!!!).
I understand that the hype will help sell the hardware, but this will also lead to another disgruntled PS2 owner wondering when the game that they bought the machine for will be coming out.
Another effect is that current releases get compared - unfairly - to games which may be in the shops for 9-12 months. Surely the standards reviews should follow are those already set by games already released.
As time goes on games are expected to develop, and therefore standards will be continually growing i.e. a rating of 9/10 now may only be 7/10 in a years time when developers may realise greater achievements from the PS2.
One example is Operation Winback. Nearly all reviews I have seen say it isn't a patch on what MGS2 will be. What we really want to know is how it compares to what we already have to choose from - especially when the comparitor is some 9 months off.
I am an avid magazine reader - always looking for the latest news and reviews - but I have given up buying many because the new items would take up about 5 pages. I suggest others do the same and read them in the local shop instead.
Tue 15/05/01 at 09:37
ssxpro - I agree. But as an example PC Gamer have the cheats on the disc just as text format, so they are easy to read. The advantage the PC currently has over the PS2 in this respect is that it's easy to print files off on the PC, or to run the cheats and the game in seperate windows (if you were hard pushed to print stuff). Thinking about it, I guess having complex cheats on PS2 discs is of limited use at the moment (unless you resorted to viewing them elsewhere whilst using the PS2). And will be until we get a printer, or some other handy peripheral. It's just a lot easier having a full archive every issue, than having to find the right mag.
Mon 14/05/01 at 22:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Ok thanx for that, as everyday I walk into the shop and its not there. Now I know to go this thursday.
Mon 14/05/01 at 20:38
After sending them (PSW) an email, they replied by saying that "Due to re-scheduling the June issue will be released on 17th May".
Mon 14/05/01 at 20:10
Regular
PSM2 has cheats on the DVD and also in the mag. The mag has a few pages of walk through, and a coupe of pages containing codes and stuff. I think that is the best way, because its easier to read a code than to see it on screen with things happening in the background.
Mon 14/05/01 at 18:25
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
Think theres one in my local WHsmith. If it says may 10th it must be out.
Mon 14/05/01 at 16:07
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Does anyone know is PSW is out yet? As it was supposed to come out 10th May. But so far I havent seen it any where.
Mon 14/05/01 at 10:58
Unless the PS2 mags are desperate to make up their page numbers (and I don't see why they should be at the moment), I think they should put the cheats onto the DVD. I mean there's a huge amount of space on DVDS, and surely someone in house could knock up a fairly simple archive database from YABASIC? PC Gamer (still *the* best games mag out there IMHO - though still prone to 'console games are for lightweights' type comments) has a cheats and reviews archive on their disc.

As far as PS2 mags are concerned, the only ones I get regularly are PSM2 (the best magazine, good DVD), and OPS2M (good magazine, and playable demos). The others aren't bad, but I only tend to get them if they have a really interesting feature. There's only so many times you can read the same information about the same game.
Sun 13/05/01 at 15:53
Regular
There is no reason why mags shouldn`t print a few cheats. PSM2 say next to their cheats (especially the SSX ones) that these cheats should only be used if you are totally stuck and want to lower yourself to that level. I hated using the running man cheat, but it was necessary as I do not know of any way of accomplishing this without the code.
Sun 13/05/01 at 15:53
Regular
There is no reason why mags shouldn`t print a few cheats. PSM2 say next to their cheats (especially the SSX ones) that these cheats should only be used if you are totally stuck and want to lower yourself to that level. I hated using the running man cheat, but it was necessary as I do not know of any way of accomplioshing this without the code.
Sun 13/05/01 at 15:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I dont mind cheats in magazines as you dont need to use them. If you get stuck and want to cheat you will go and find a cheat on the internet as its so easy to get them if they arent in a magazine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.