GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grabbing life by the gonads and giving them a squeeze."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/11/04 at 13:35
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
So I'm quitting University after 3 years of a 4 year course, and I don't regret it. I think 'quitting' is the wrong word there, because I've actually been offered a very good job doing design work: maybe 'shelving' would have been better.

So I'm shelving University after 3 years of a 4 year course, and I don't regret starting this new sentence. Towards the end of the second year I was growing increasingly frustrated at the boring, tedious, monotonous workload. I really wasn't enjoying it. Then I started doing some part-time web design work for a company run by a mate (ironically, I met him through another mate at Uni), and it turns out that this company is well established, has a long list of loyal clients, and they desperately need an in-house designer. Cue me desperately trying to get out of Uni.

I gradually found myself sticking to the design work deadlines (albeit loosely), and letting my Uni work slip, until eventually I just stopped caring about Uni because I was having such a good time with the design work. And afterall, why was I studying - to get a decent job? I was being handed a decent job on a golden platter, with the added incentives of being my own boss, working from home, wearing what I wanted, snacking when I wanted, necking when I wanted... I can always go back to the degree later. I've seen people join courses in the second or third years because of their previous experiences, so I can do the same.

So rather than let the opportunity pass for the sake of my education, I've decided (after a good few months of thought, this is no gut reaction) to go for it. It's such a good chance to establish myself with a company that seems to be on the grow. I know the land of web design is a fickle, short-lived place, but they do other things too which ensures my stability (mentally and fiscally), which is why their web department is the last to grow, but is going to become one of their main sources of income. And I'm bringing with me a fountain of ideas that has impressed them already.

I wasn't even failing at Uni. I had a bad semester about a year ago, and agreed to add another semester after I was meant to have finished the course (this would have meant 4 and a half years total at Uni), but last semester I got a few A's and B's, and was well on my way to getting at least a 2:1. So I can't be accused of quitting because I was failing - the exact opposite, I was doing really well! I just need a new challenge, something more positive and satisfying.

I think it partly stems from my attention span - I get bored of things quickly. But this suits design work well. All the results are immediate, and you can change stuff whenever you feel like it. With Uni it was taking months to get anywhere, then if you stuffed it, that was it, no more chances (after any retakes, etc). I don't even play computer games anymore, except with my mates, because I haven't got the attention span. But it's not like I could never go back, which is why I feel I can leave Uni without regret, because I'll be back there to finish the course one day.

After reading that back, it makes me sound like I'm writing as a means to get permission. Hahahahaha, as if I'd ever listen to any of you lot! I've thought this through properly, with my mind, and sometimes by counting fingers, and I don't see a downside. What's a degree worth now anyway? Hardly any graduates waltz into jobs, and when they do they find themselves working with people that have worked their way up, regardless of their education. The only downside is the debt. I've accumulated £11,000 worth of loans that need to be paid back to the SLC. I've still got to arrange all the paperwork for leaving. It may turn out that I can just suspend the whole process for a few years. I doubt it, but at the end of the day (God, I hate that phrase), I shouldn't even notice the payments going out each month. My loan hasn't even come this year yet, so I might be able to wangle it so that I get the loan, but leave the course, and can use the money as a buffer until I start earning proper.

And there you go. A long post featuring feelings and sentiments, and I'm not suicidal, in love, a gay, or a goth/mime. My thoughts are clear, and my boxers are clean, and this is probably the biggest decision I've ever made with my adult brain. I just hope my Mummy doesn't mind making me a packed lunch everyday.
Thu 25/11/04 at 23:01
Regular
Well done Monkey_Man.

As Brian says, it\'s a race, a race for rats, a race for rats to die.
I\'m still figuring out how to run away. But it seems easier every time I see someone (you, light and goaty mainly!) do it.

Good luck.
Thu 25/11/04 at 11:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, the toast was great.
Thu 25/11/04 at 09:15
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Congratulations.
Wed 24/11/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I need some cheese on toast.
Wed 24/11/04 at 14:54
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Nah, I already had both series on DVD before it came out.
Wed 24/11/04 at 14:53
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
monkey_man wrote:
> Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Oh jah, I haddun fott of dat
>
> /drunk
>
> Hah, beat you too it. Started drinking late today, haven't you?

Never stopped since last night to be honest. Wow, what a wacky life I lead! And now I'm on the cyberspace intranert telling 12yr olds that drinking is responsible and necessary! That's irresponsible!

impeccable spelling though
Wed 24/11/04 at 14:49
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Have you seen the new Spaced documentary disk with the new box set? Corking...
Wed 24/11/04 at 14:38
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Oh jah, I haddun fott of dat
>
> /drunk

Hah, beat you too it. Started drinking late today, haven't you?
Wed 24/11/04 at 14:36
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Oh jah, I haddun fott of dat

/drunk
Wed 24/11/04 at 14:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that!

You answered your own question.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.