GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo are idiots"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/12/04 at 11:13
Regular
Firstly, they decide to not release the Nintendo DS over here until god knows when AND then they decide to put this in the Nintendo Newsletter: -

"Nintendo’s new dual-screened handheld, the Nintendo DS, has launched to a rapturous reception in both the US and Japan – selling more than a million units in just a few weeks!

In fact, the touch-screened system is flying off shelves so much that Nintendo of America has had to bring in extra stocks by air, to keep up with demand.

The Nintendo DS hit US stores on November 21, followed by the Japanese launch at the beginning of December. European gamers can get their hands on a DS in the first quarter of 2005 (exact date to be confirmed – watch this space). In fact, we’re planning to shift five million units worldwide by the end of March 2005 – so it’s gonna be big!"

I mean come on, this is just rubbing it in. They have the cheek to send us how well the DS is doing over in America/Japan when they know full well that it isn't out over here for a while.

Why do they insist on doing this?
Fri 24/12/04 at 14:36
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
> The thing is there will be no shortages in UK, the launch can be
> planned better with a better line up.

We're talking about Nintendo here! When was the last time Nintendo had a good 'plan' for a European launch? By the time any thing launches in the UK people have already imported it because they're sick of waiting. And as for a 'better line up' pah! Not that i'm getting cynical of course!!
Fri 24/12/04 at 14:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
If Nintendo release the DS over here with Mario Kart and Yoshi's Touch & Go as the launch games, plus that puzzler that that guy said was the most addictive thing ever, and they could be on to a winner. Especially if they release it early March.
Fri 24/12/04 at 14:07
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Thing is, though, that neither company wants to be embaressed by the other.
Fri 24/12/04 at 14:06
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
gerrid wrote:
> PSP is released on the 25th of March.

Mmmm interesting, maybe if they could release it on that exact day things would become more clear as to what the public want. Now there is an idea.
Fri 24/12/04 at 14:00
Regular
"tokyo police club"
A day after my Birthday?

Oh ho ho ho.

If I end up spending my birthday money on that, I'll mutilate myself.
Fri 24/12/04 at 13:58
Regular
"thursdayton!"
gerrid wrote:
> PSP is released on the 25th of March.

Exactly, I think Nintendo will be aggressive and get the DS out *before* then. Maybe only by a couple of weeks but as happend in Japan, it seems to have helped the huge sales.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:50
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I've always classed Nintendo as the 3rd market as far as value per game goes.

An awful lot more money must be spent on localising and advertising fir each gam in every differebt country, where as in America, a simple mention of a product on Will and Grace can get the word around quick enough.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
PSP is released on the 25th of March.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:47
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Well Europe is a pretty big market (the biggest possibly) and the localisation with the games is another factor.

I think Nintendo need to send these type of emails. There are a lot of silly misinformed people out there who do not know what a Nintendo DS is, releasing publicity emails detailing the success in other Continents is a sure fire way of getting the message out there.

Put it this way, the PSP is releasing around the same time as the DS in Europe, Sony have the money, they have the advertising-they have the Champions League to Advertise the PSP as well around that time. People will be getting to know about the PSP, possibly more so than Nintendo's system. That's why Nintendo needs to do this now, they need to build up the anticipation, build up the knowledge of the DS itself.

As for the release date I can't see them releasing any info on the on it until they have an inkling of the PSP's release. They don't want to be seen releasing it after the PSP, they certainly want it out there before the PSP has a firm grasp.
Or maybe i'm wrong?
They could be waiting on a date from Sony so they could release it at the same time or days after? They possibly could be waiting on Sony making a move first.
Or Sony could be waiting on Nintendo moving with a date, geez it does get confusing. Either way both systems will be in a healthy state, both companies have the time to get the games prepared and ready, with the DS library rumoured to be atleast 15 on the shelves.
I think they aren't Idiots, but they are playing their cards right even if they are close to their chest.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:43
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I don't think that's true.

We'd still be lumped in with the rest of Europe like was always are. Region simply isn't an issue with the DS - it can be PAL, NTSC.. whatever it likes. I think the reason that teh DS isn't out over here until next year is the problem of localising it for all those different countries.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.