GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo are idiots"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/12/04 at 11:13
Regular
Firstly, they decide to not release the Nintendo DS over here until god knows when AND then they decide to put this in the Nintendo Newsletter: -

"Nintendo’s new dual-screened handheld, the Nintendo DS, has launched to a rapturous reception in both the US and Japan – selling more than a million units in just a few weeks!

In fact, the touch-screened system is flying off shelves so much that Nintendo of America has had to bring in extra stocks by air, to keep up with demand.

The Nintendo DS hit US stores on November 21, followed by the Japanese launch at the beginning of December. European gamers can get their hands on a DS in the first quarter of 2005 (exact date to be confirmed – watch this space). In fact, we’re planning to shift five million units worldwide by the end of March 2005 – so it’s gonna be big!"

I mean come on, this is just rubbing it in. They have the cheek to send us how well the DS is doing over in America/Japan when they know full well that it isn't out over here for a while.

Why do they insist on doing this?
Sun 26/12/04 at 13:58
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
It must be said that the Cube launch line-up was nothing special. Monkey Ball was decent fun and Luigi's was good while it lasted but there was nothing that lasted well in the long term. Smash Bros did - but only for multiplayer. In fact, in terms of long term fun I can't find a single Cube game that surpasses PGR2 or Rainbow Six 3 on the Xbox.
Sun 26/12/04 at 13:14
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> True there were no AAA games, but it was a damn smart launch line up.
> Damn Smart!

Hahahaha.

The GC's launch was rubbish.

Rubbish

I mean come on, Fifa world cup? You must be joking mate.

After Super Mario Sunshine came out, thats when it started to pick up.
Sat 25/12/04 at 15:14
Regular
"bit of a brain"
we might, but seeing as all our games are made in Germany and then shipped throughout Europe, I doubt it. The US processing plants are just too far away to be viable for shipping etc of games. The cost would be too high for Nintendo to ship everything accross the Atlantic.

As for the original post, I find controlling Mario DS to be quite simple. Sometimes it's annoying when you're running top speed and your finger is at the edge of the screen but that's about it. Side jumps, backflips, all the jumps are pretty easy to make, and the game is just wonderful. As for the minigames - genius! Especially the one with the falling Mario faces and the parachuting Bob-ombs. I can't wait for Yoshi's Touch & Go/ Balloon Trip.
Sat 25/12/04 at 14:48
Regular
mattributé wrote:
> I don't think that's true.
>
> We'd still be lumped in with the rest of Europe like was always are.
> Region simply isn't an issue with the DS - it can be PAL, NTSC..
> whatever it likes. I think the reason that teh DS isn't out over here
> until next year is the problem of localising it for all those
> different countries.

What I meant was, if the UK was NTSc - not all of Europe, we'd just get everything when America gets it - we speak the same language, sort of, and if we're the same region, there would be no need to wait 3 months before releasing it here.

Stuff.
Sat 25/12/04 at 14:35
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
It wasn't smart at all.
I looked at the Gamecube launch lineup and went "those games are all pretty rubbish, I'm not getting a GC to play that crap" and waited until it was really, really cheap before I bought one.

Then I sold it.
Sat 25/12/04 at 11:18
Regular
N64 Fan wrote:

>
> We're talking about Nintendo here! When was the last time Nintendo
> had a good 'plan' for a European launch? By the time any thing
> launches in the UK people have already imported it because they're
> sick of waiting. And as for a 'better line up' pah! Not that i'm
> getting cynical of course!!

The Gamecube was launched cunningly, dropping the price just before launch to over-shadow Microsoft's price cut. And the price drop was the exact price of a game, meaning those already planning to get one could get another game. Software money.

The console was launched with Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 (the same time a certain star wars film came out) and FIFA world cup, in time for the world cup. And Nintendo first brought Resident Evil into the equasion here with the RE movie being debuted in Europe.

True there were no AAA games, but it was a damn smart launch line up. Damn Smart!
Fri 24/12/04 at 19:54
Regular
"thursdayton!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Ashman wrote:
> Tphi wrote:
> I think Nintendo will be aggressive and get the PSP out *before*
> then.
>
> Oh my God it was Nintendo making the PSP the whole time!?
>
> The fiends!

>__<

Buggery.
Fri 24/12/04 at 18:36
"period drama"
Ashman wrote:
> Tphi wrote:
> I think Nintendo will be aggressive and get the PSP out *before*
> then.
>
> Oh my God it was Nintendo making the PSP the whole time!?

The fiends!
Fri 24/12/04 at 17:40
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Tphi wrote:
> I think Nintendo will be aggressive and get the PSP out *before* then.

Oh my God it was Nintendo making the PSP the whole time!?
Fri 24/12/04 at 15:08
Regular
"8==="
Import.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.