GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo are idiots"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/12/04 at 11:13
Regular
Firstly, they decide to not release the Nintendo DS over here until god knows when AND then they decide to put this in the Nintendo Newsletter: -

"Nintendo’s new dual-screened handheld, the Nintendo DS, has launched to a rapturous reception in both the US and Japan – selling more than a million units in just a few weeks!

In fact, the touch-screened system is flying off shelves so much that Nintendo of America has had to bring in extra stocks by air, to keep up with demand.

The Nintendo DS hit US stores on November 21, followed by the Japanese launch at the beginning of December. European gamers can get their hands on a DS in the first quarter of 2005 (exact date to be confirmed – watch this space). In fact, we’re planning to shift five million units worldwide by the end of March 2005 – so it’s gonna be big!"

I mean come on, this is just rubbing it in. They have the cheek to send us how well the DS is doing over in America/Japan when they know full well that it isn't out over here for a while.

Why do they insist on doing this?
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:13
Regular
Firstly, they decide to not release the Nintendo DS over here until god knows when AND then they decide to put this in the Nintendo Newsletter: -

"Nintendo’s new dual-screened handheld, the Nintendo DS, has launched to a rapturous reception in both the US and Japan – selling more than a million units in just a few weeks!

In fact, the touch-screened system is flying off shelves so much that Nintendo of America has had to bring in extra stocks by air, to keep up with demand.

The Nintendo DS hit US stores on November 21, followed by the Japanese launch at the beginning of December. European gamers can get their hands on a DS in the first quarter of 2005 (exact date to be confirmed – watch this space). In fact, we’re planning to shift five million units worldwide by the end of March 2005 – so it’s gonna be big!"

I mean come on, this is just rubbing it in. They have the cheek to send us how well the DS is doing over in America/Japan when they know full well that it isn't out over here for a while.

Why do they insist on doing this?
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:26
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Because of localisation to the god knows how many languages there are in the EU?

As I've always said - if the UK wants to get anywhere, they'll have to eminiate France sometime or another.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'll eminitate you if you're not careful. What the UK really needs is to be separate from Europe, so that we would get our games at the same time as the Americans and not have to wait for all the manuals to be printed up in Dutch and Italian
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:29
Regular
The thing is due to the screen shortage it was pratically impossible to launch the system with enough units worldwide.

Europe did not get the DS at Christmas to ensure that America and Japan got a solid launch.

The thing is there will be no shortages in UK, the launch can be planned better with a better line up.

But overall it is a shame it didn't make it out for Christmas.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:30
Regular
That won't happen as long as we're a PAL region.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:32
Regular
"tokyo police club"
But the fact that handhelds are region free kind of discounts that.

And damn my typos
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:37
Regular
I know, but if we were an NTSC region, we'd have it now, but we're a PAL region, so we have to wait, so that Germany doesn't go to war with Nintendo or something.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:43
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I don't think that's true.

We'd still be lumped in with the rest of Europe like was always are. Region simply isn't an issue with the DS - it can be PAL, NTSC.. whatever it likes. I think the reason that teh DS isn't out over here until next year is the problem of localising it for all those different countries.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:47
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Well Europe is a pretty big market (the biggest possibly) and the localisation with the games is another factor.

I think Nintendo need to send these type of emails. There are a lot of silly misinformed people out there who do not know what a Nintendo DS is, releasing publicity emails detailing the success in other Continents is a sure fire way of getting the message out there.

Put it this way, the PSP is releasing around the same time as the DS in Europe, Sony have the money, they have the advertising-they have the Champions League to Advertise the PSP as well around that time. People will be getting to know about the PSP, possibly more so than Nintendo's system. That's why Nintendo needs to do this now, they need to build up the anticipation, build up the knowledge of the DS itself.

As for the release date I can't see them releasing any info on the on it until they have an inkling of the PSP's release. They don't want to be seen releasing it after the PSP, they certainly want it out there before the PSP has a firm grasp.
Or maybe i'm wrong?
They could be waiting on a date from Sony so they could release it at the same time or days after? They possibly could be waiting on Sony making a move first.
Or Sony could be waiting on Nintendo moving with a date, geez it does get confusing. Either way both systems will be in a healthy state, both companies have the time to get the games prepared and ready, with the DS library rumoured to be atleast 15 on the shelves.
I think they aren't Idiots, but they are playing their cards right even if they are close to their chest.
Fri 24/12/04 at 11:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
PSP is released on the 25th of March.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.