GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game of 2004"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/12/04 at 11:35
Regular
To be honest there's been a lot of decent releases on the Gamecube this year.

Nintendo's finest efforts have come in the form of Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario 2. Pikmin 2 is near pin point perfection in everway, a purly addictive and well structured stratagy title which everyone should own whilst Paper Mario 2 is one of the finest RPG's since Pokemon.

Ubi-Soft have published Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia this year and they all deserve a mention (especially the former) and they also published Harvest Moon, one of the most refreshing games this year (Whether you agree or not). Pacman Vs., although not a full game, should get a mention also.

But my game of the year goes to Free Radical Design's Second Sight. Not only fresher than Nintendo's superb sequels but in terms of pure freedom and fun it kicks even Ubi-Soft's master duo to the curb.

Excellent graphics, stunning story, original physics and in fact probably the greatest game released this year.

What is yours?
Fri 24/12/04 at 12:01
Regular
"bit of a brain"
But for £13 (the pricve that a certain game playing retailer has it for) it probably IS the best game of the year (although Metroid Prime 2 is way better)
Fri 24/12/04 at 12:15
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand-Year Door gets the vote from me.

Beyond Good and Evil and several others... While I have played and found myself very much immersed and impressed by what each had to offer, even in the smallest of ounces, "The Nintendo Difference" makes it all count.
Fri 24/12/04 at 13:56
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Pikmin 2. Immensely detailed and incredibly enjoyable game. A true classic. Beautiful and very well designed levels, all the improvements from the first one (*Caves*, 2nd Party member, Battle and Co-Op, so much more to do, the fun Piklopedia and Treasure Lists) make this my game of the year.

Although I have yet to play Echoes.
Fri 24/12/04 at 20:52
"period drama"
I'd go for Paper Mario 2.
The most I've enjoyed playing a game in a long time - and it constantly throws up fantastic surprises.

I thought getting each star would be like the first: go through a dungeon, fight the boss, repeat. How wonderfully wrong I was.
Fri 24/12/04 at 22:08
Regular
My Gamecube Game of 2004 goes to Pikmin 2

Because it is:

Absorbing
Challenging
Fun
Unique
Visually Stunning
Bizarre

And it's got little creatures with flowers on their heads that kick the ass out of huge, scary beasts god damn it!

My message to Nintendo: Pikmin 3 2005
My improvements: Kung-foo Pikmin
Sat 25/12/04 at 11:07
Regular
I'd normally have picked Pikmin 2 or Paper Mario 2... but Second Sight is so... well different and refreshing.

To be fair Paper Mario 2 does personify Nintendo perfectly. It is one of those games only Nintendo can make.
Sat 25/12/04 at 14:16
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
gerrid wrote:
> What the hell are "original physics"?
Sat 25/12/04 at 23:42
Regular
The entire concept of lifting everything and slamming it around the room was refreshing.

Get over it.
Sat 25/12/04 at 23:45
Regular
So not at all like any games where you play as a Jedi then?
Sat 25/12/04 at 23:46
Regular
Or System Shock 2...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.