GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*OFFICIAL* HALF-LIFE 2 THREAD"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/11/04 at 18:35
Regular
Well there already seems to be quite a few Half-Life 2 threads cluttering up the PC Forum and I have no idea how many more will be made after the game gets released. So, I made this thread which can be used to talk about everything that is Half-Life 2 related and I hope you will all use it instead of making a thread for every problem/query you have.
So if you have any questions, links, general info about the game or you need help after its release tommorow, please use this thread :)
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:05
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tyla wrote:
> Probably not the same for those who bought the hard copy.

But once the product is registered, surely it doesn't matter? For example, I registered my five year old copy of Half Life (only half life) with steam and it let me download CS, DOD, Richochet, Codename Gordon etc.

[edit] Or should I say I registered the cd-key, and it let me downlaod HL and all of the above. No idea how to get a previously installed version talking to steam.
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:03
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
tigamilla wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
>
> Activation is tied to your Steam account, so yes, you can install it
> wherever you want as you have to be logged into Steam to play it i
> think.
>
>
> You only need to log into Steam the first time you install, then you
> can play it "offline".

Ah... there's the difference. Steam distributed versions of HL2 are more flexible. As soon as you log into a your Steam account on another PC, it checks to see what you haveinstalled and auto dowloads all the games you have paid for into that machine.

Probably not the same for those who bought the hard copy.
Tue 16/11/04 at 09:56
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Tyla wrote:
> think.

Oh yeah, that's probably true.
I just wondered if it was like the XP activation where you can only install it on one computer. Doesn't really matter to me anyway, I don't have any other computers that could run it.

> BTW, the teacher being ill sounds a little iffy? Today of all days!;)

Very true, hadn't thought of that :p
Tue 16/11/04 at 09:56
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Tyla wrote:

> think.
>

You only need to log into Steam the first time you install, then you can play it "offline".
Tue 16/11/04 at 09:38
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Damn that sucks.
> Meant to have a lesson this morning, but the teacher was ill so it
> got cancelled. Of course, had I had any money on me I could have
> wandered into town and picked this up. Oh well...
>
> Oh and what's the deal with the activation? I mean, will it let you
> install it on more than one computer?

Activation is tied to your Steam account, so yes, you can install it wherever you want as you have to be logged into Steam to play it i think.

BTW, the teacher being ill sounds a little iffy? Today of all days!;)
Tue 16/11/04 at 09:03
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Damn that sucks.
Meant to have a lesson this morning, but the teacher was ill so it got cancelled. Of course, had I had any money on me I could have wandered into town and picked this up. Oh well...

Oh and what's the deal with the activation? I mean, will it let you install it on more than one computer?
Tue 16/11/04 at 08:53
Regular
"\\"
Unlocking now.

I'll be back in several hours or so.
Tue 16/11/04 at 08:35
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Lipe wrote:
> And yeah, reading the review did leave me feeling a little
> dissapointed but that might have been because I have such high
> expectations for the game, or it could just be Gamespot who are
> extremelly harsh since I was left with the same feeling after reading
> their Metroid Prime 2 review last night. But just to be on the safe
> side I think I'll lower my expectation level just a little bit :)

9.2 - superb. Dont understand.

If story and glitchy AI are the only worries. I'm happy. Story is entirely up to the tastes of the individual. Nothing new? Well, I expected that. Doom3 was if anything a step backwards to simpler gameplay.

Hmmm, in the beta I played, you went through a tutorial where you could "use" people by selecting them and telling then what yo do with a cursor on the map RTS stylee. Must have been removed. A shame, as THAT would have raised it years ahead of the competition. Still, I'll have my grubby little mitts on it later. My five year wait is over
Tue 16/11/04 at 08:33
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yes, I Have got Half Life: Source, but no Day of Defeat yet :( No matter, HL2 is finally playable. See you in a few, long hours.
Tue 16/11/04 at 07:36
Regular
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> I haven't read any reviews/previews or anything for a long time.
> I got hold of that leaked version of it ages and ages ago but never
> really explored it very much. So I don't know what to expect.
> Probably won't even get it tommorow anyway.

The beta version was rubbish. It had no storyline and all you could do was explore the levels.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.