GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War, Glorious War!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/12/04 at 19:11
Regular
We live in a depressing time, I tell you all. Everytime you turn on/recieve/buy/steal the TV/Radio/Internet/Newspaper there will always be some sort of announcment about some conflict in somefar-away country, and it seems that games developers are now getting a buzz out of creating games that involve you playing in the cold, depressing, ramdon wars this world has had/may have.

Everywhere you look there's a game with bloody war in it. Medal of Honor, Ghost Recon 2, Call of Duty, Conflict, Full Spectrum are just a minority of the titles on offer. It's quite scary to think that games developers feel the need to swamp the market with depressing, harsh crap only our grandads understand.

Don't get me wrong, some of these games are good. I enjoyed Full Spectrum and Call of Duty, but is there really a need to highlight what a brutal past this world has had?

If developers do want to create a game about shooting and death, I feel they should lay of the history and follow the likes of Halo 2 and it's Covenant, which 'hopefully' will never happern. And developers should also start creating games that challenge the mind and not the finger.

There really isn't a need for all these harsh and brutal reminders of the cold past that haunts this world, and I would really like to see a decrease in the amount of war-related games that are created for our own and our childrens' sake.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:09
Regular
Crumble wrote:
> Now, a small thing such as a video game shouldn't cause that much
> trouble.

Isn't that Korea's fault and not the developer.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:08
Regular
But games developers shouldn't advertise the harsh reality of war.

Look what happened with Ghost Recon 2. The North Korean dictator had a go at America over that game, claiming America hated them so much and actually wanted a war with them.

Now, a small thing such as a video game shouldn't cause that much trouble.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:07
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Crumble wrote:
>
> There really isn't a need for all these harsh and brutal reminders
> of
> the cold past that haunts this world, and I would really like to see
> a decrease in the amount of war-related games that are created for
> our own and our childrens' sake.
>
> Bwahahahahahahahahahaahaha!

Please send 250 copies of the Daily Mail to Mr. Crumbles house.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:06
Regular
"\\"
But no one is getting hurt, so it doesn't matter. If it was video camera strapped to the head of some poor bloke who's given a gun, and you have control over him, and you had to kill other people with him, It would be entirely different.

But they're not real people. They may be based on real people that had been in those real positions, but they AREN'T.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:05
Regular
Crumble wrote:

> There really isn't a need for all these harsh and brutal reminders of
> the cold past that haunts this world, and I would really like to see
> a decrease in the amount of war-related games that are created for
> our own and our childrens' sake.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaahaha!
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:02
Regular
Crumble wrote:
> Liking the atmosphere of people dying is just as bad as killing
> people.
>
> You violent child, you.

Apart from I would soil myself in such a situation in real life.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:01
Regular
Liking the atmosphere of people dying is just as bad as killing people.

You violent child, you.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:00
Regular
Crumble wrote:
> So, you don't like War to a point where it gets sickening, but you
> enjoy bullets whizzing past with people dying around you.
>
> Hmmmm...

Atmosphere , not enjoyment from killing a person.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:59
Regular
So, you don't like War to a point where it gets sickening, but you enjoy bullets whizzing past with people dying around you.

Hmmmm...
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:57
Regular
*Highly Excitable* wrote:
> Mode is a good example of my point.
>
> He enjoys killing people.
>
> ...

No, no far from it. I don't enjoy it on such a level that it becomes sickening, I just enjoy the atmosphere - bullets whizzing past you, people dying around you and bullets hitting walls and making great sounds.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.