GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War, Glorious War!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/12/04 at 19:11
Regular
We live in a depressing time, I tell you all. Everytime you turn on/recieve/buy/steal the TV/Radio/Internet/Newspaper there will always be some sort of announcment about some conflict in somefar-away country, and it seems that games developers are now getting a buzz out of creating games that involve you playing in the cold, depressing, ramdon wars this world has had/may have.

Everywhere you look there's a game with bloody war in it. Medal of Honor, Ghost Recon 2, Call of Duty, Conflict, Full Spectrum are just a minority of the titles on offer. It's quite scary to think that games developers feel the need to swamp the market with depressing, harsh crap only our grandads understand.

Don't get me wrong, some of these games are good. I enjoyed Full Spectrum and Call of Duty, but is there really a need to highlight what a brutal past this world has had?

If developers do want to create a game about shooting and death, I feel they should lay of the history and follow the likes of Halo 2 and it's Covenant, which 'hopefully' will never happern. And developers should also start creating games that challenge the mind and not the finger.

There really isn't a need for all these harsh and brutal reminders of the cold past that haunts this world, and I would really like to see a decrease in the amount of war-related games that are created for our own and our childrens' sake.
Fri 31/12/04 at 12:13
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
pretty much all my games are First person shooters and war related. SOF1+2, Call Of Duty, Ghost recons, Rainbow 6's across Pc, Xbox and PS2.

I'm sick you see, I love FPS's. But, if it's a FPS say with just aliens, I don't like it as much. I like to be able to kill humans. Ragdoll physics for me are the ultimate.

half Life2 for example, pure absolute genious. I can replay a bit on that game at least 20 times and not get bored. For example, A guy on a ledge way up high and you shoot him off and he falls bouncing off rocks as he goes. Something like that is excellent to me just to watch how their body reacts to hitting things on the way down. It's hard to explain but i'm just wierd.

Soldier of Fortune2, not ragdoll physics but just to run in a room with the AK blazing killing 5 enemies and then going back and looking at the bodies just to see what all the random firing did.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:27
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
*Highly Excitable* wrote:
> 'Tis a good point, Crumble.
>
> It's strange though, they all sell well. It concerns me that people
> find war so much fun.

War on a game is very enjoyable, overwise these games wouldn't be on the market. No-ones a monster for enjoying simulated war even if it is based on a true story, if anything its healthy.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:23
Regular
Bye bye:
Age of Empires
Red Alert
Civilization
Caesar III

:)

Video games highlight the terror of war - generally for all the right reasons.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:23
Regular
I will care about the children when they are mine. Let me stress, the African child that cleans my feet does NOT watch Sexcetra - Army styleee.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:21
Regular
This isn't a stupid topic, I find it interesting.
But war is war, if it is used as a method of 'virtual' entertainment then so be it.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:19
Regular
If you're gonna take that stance shouldn't we ban any game that has violence in it?

Infact let's take all the history books off the shelves because they're full of violence and reminders of our past.

Christ this is the stupidest topic I've seen in a long time.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:15
Regular
But creating a game that highlights the idea of an actual war that could happern occuring is outrageous.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:14
Regular
Crumble wrote:
> Mode wrote:
> Crumble wrote:
> Now, a small thing such as a video game shouldn't cause that much
> trouble.
>
> Isn't that Korea's fault and not the developer.
>
> What?
>
> It's Ubisoft/America's fault for making the god damn game!

Korea over react, and its government is paranoid. Its a game, a form of entertainment.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:11
Regular
Mode wrote:
> Crumble wrote:
> Now, a small thing such as a video game shouldn't cause that much
> trouble.
>
> Isn't that Korea's fault and not the developer.

What?

It's Ubisoft/America's fault for making the god damn game!
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:09
Regular
THINK OF DA CHILDREN!1111!1!11!1

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.