GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buying A New Computer Is A Little Harder Than Expected..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/10/04 at 19:04
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Recently inspired by how easy and cheap it is to shop online from the States and an article in a PC mag, I've decided that it's too tempting just to get a new PC, with XP for my iTunes and A faster processor for my games. However, many queries arose after just a few minutes of investigation.

1) Win XP Pro

against

Win XP Home

What's the difference? I only skimmed over the specs of a couple of comps, but XP Pro seems to merit another 20 or so dollars. What makes it more pricey and would XP Home be perfectly good for my needs (see top of page)?

2) There's a manufacturer called Acer. Never heard of them myself, but do you guys know anything useful; reliability, etc. My current comp is an Evesham, although I would have prefered a Dell, and found out a treasure chest of problems. Like ME's inefficiency with system resources and how Eveshams over heat...

3) Anyone know the HMCE site better than me and can direct me to the import tax for computers or electricals in general.

Any help would be great!

:)
Sat 23/10/04 at 23:19
Regular
"Bicycle"
Gerrid - get some more RAM. It's the cheapest and most effective solution - other than buying a much better CPU, which is pricey to say the least.

A new graphics card might be an idea, but as you only have PCI slots I'd think not, as they are expensive too.

Go with RAM. ROME runs on full settings perfectly (until my Mobo died, different issue x.x) with my PC; 1GB RAM and a P4 3.2Ghz CPU. Not too shabby.

Then, as you (hopefully) won't have spent too much, you'll still have that beast of a laptop.

Tear.
Sat 23/10/04 at 23:37
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Coin wrote:
> Gerrid - get some more RAM. It's the cheapest and most effective
> solution - other than buying a much better CPU, which is pricey to
> say the least.

I think you missed the part where he said "RIMM". RAMBUS memory is inordinately expensive. Gerrid, if you can find a slightly faster CPU that works with your motherboard (nfi where Intel are concerned I'm afraid) go for that instead.

Although more RAM would help.
Sun 24/10/04 at 00:05
"I love yo... lamp."
Mav wrote:
> Urgh, AMD.
>
> Problem with building your own is that you'll get persuaded into
> building an AMD system instead of an Intel one.

I've explained to you before why AMD are better than Intel, yet you still hang onto your myths. Hallmark of a fanboy through and through.
Sun 24/10/04 at 01:35
Regular
"Bicycle"
RIMM?

Whoa, feeling n00bish.

Tear.
Sun 24/10/04 at 01:57
"I love yo... lamp."
RAMBUS Inline Memory Module.

RAMBUS was a type of high performance memory backed by Intel for the first P4s, just as DDR was coming along. RAMBUS lost out despite being the faster, simply because it was too expensive and had to be installed in pairs, a throwback to the days of SIMMs. If flopped. Then DDR got faster anyway.

I have a RAMBUS system though. It's my N64, complete with expansion pak.

As for Clazon, you won't need XP Pro. Home Edition is the same minus a few features you don't need like the networking features and remote desktop. Save the money and get more RAM or something. And yes, Acer are pretty decent in my experience. I wouldn't touch a Dell.
Sun 24/10/04 at 11:36
Regular
"Bicycle"
XP Home has networking and remote desktop...

Or at least my one does.
Sun 24/10/04 at 12:06
"I love yo... lamp."
The networking features I was referring to were the log-ons and access rights for files and things.

So you're saying that you can access your PC from another PC for your files and programs? Just through Windows?
Sun 24/10/04 at 12:14
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I've explained to you before why AMD are better than Intel, yet you
> still hang onto your myths. Hallmark of a fanboy through and through.

Not at all. Blimey - a CPU fanboy? What's the world coming to? :-)

I have my reasons. I can't be bothered to go into them again, but they're solid.
Sun 24/10/04 at 12:21
"I love yo... lamp."
No they aren't solid. I know quite a bit about CPU design - I taught the course. And yes, there are plenty of CPU fan boys around, any look at a technical forum would show you that.
Sun 24/10/04 at 13:31
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Coin wrote:
> I see no problem with AMD or Intel. Personally, I've only used Intels.
> Two months ago I bought an Intel 3.2GHz processor, for around
> £150. Well worth it, goes like a spaceship on speed.

This comes back to the building proble. I need a base from which to build from. Does this mean an exterior or a pretty sh!te PC?

> All those ones have 2.4-2.8 processors, which, admittedly, aren't
> bad, but 3.2 is much better, and at some point you'll need to upgrade
> to it (or something better).

Yeah I know, but I want maximum performance from minimal money.

> They have 256MB memory. Could only just about run Doom :P. I use to
> have 512, and could barely run SoF2. For Doom3 or HL2, you're gonna
> need 1GB at least. So don't skimp on RAM.

Ignore how much RAM they have cos I have loads of it. It's not a consideration on whatever I buy.

> (HDD's are teeny weeny too, you'll need 120+.)

This is one of the only concerns I had.

> What components do you have?

Loadsa RAM, flat screen if needed, crappy speakers, quality keyboard and mouse, Newish graphics card.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.