GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"16:9 Halo 2 / Pro Evo 4 problem?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Tue 04/01/05 at 09:49
Regular
"PS 2 Fool"
Hey folks,

Probably an easy one for someone to answer, this!

Having been lucky enough to receive an Xbox for Christmas, I was looking forward to many hours of widescreen Halo 2 enjoyment.

However - my Halo 2 only seems to play in 4:3?

I've managed to play NFSU2, Star Wars Battlefront and Madden 2005 in 16:9 without a problem, but both Halo 2 and Pro Evo revert to 4:3 as soon as the game loads.

Any ideas? Is this just the way it is, are these two games not playable in 16:9?

Obviously I could switch the TV from 4:3 to 16:9, but this would lead to distortion and I don't want that . . .
Mon 17/01/05 at 11:03
Regular
As I said, it's Panorama.
Sat 15/01/05 at 19:14
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Might be on other TV's, for mine it is Panorama.

Panorama is that dodgy program on BBC 1!

It's panoramic, unless your TV is dyslexic.
Sat 15/01/05 at 19:14
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
u smell.
Sat 15/01/05 at 14:28
Regular
"8==="
Turn the red down! Look at how much the red shows up on the manager's face...

Oh no it's Ferguson. :P
Sat 15/01/05 at 13:56
"High polygon count"
Of course, let's not forget that if you play as Manchester United, Rooney looks wide in whatever aspect you use...

;-p
Tue 11/01/05 at 15:29
Regular
Check what you have set as your display within the PS2 menu system. Some games on my TV load in 16:9 however they are clearly meant to be displayed in panorama. I really don't think Pro Evolution is 16:9 as from the Winning Eleven games (US and JAP), none of the ones I have played on my TV support it.
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:02
Regular
"PS 2 Fool"
> I've been through every menu on Pro Evo 4 and there is
> NO option for Widescreen - just like all previous
> versions. So I am quite satisfied that the PS2 version does
> not support 16:9 - at least not in any sensible or realistic
> way.

Interesting. Well, there's something odd here then folks. I plugged my PS2 into my TV last night, turned it on, loaded Pro Evo 2 - and it just came up in 16:9, I didn't NEED to use a menu or anything? It just played in 16:9, with no player distortion or anything . . ..
Mon 10/01/05 at 23:02
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> The closest you can get to on the PS2 or Xbox is the Wide camera.

Indeed - same as all other Pro Evo games.

Even so, if you put your TV into 16:9 mode, you get 'fat' players.

On my Sony Wega, you have the options of 4:3, Smart, 14:9, Zoom or Wide. Smart and Wide give you fat players, 4:3 is a waste of a 28-inch screen, and Zoom means that the score and game clock disappear off the top of the screen - you can move it down, but then you miss info from the bottom.

So I always play Pro Evo on 14:9, as it's the best compromise.

I've been through every menu on Pro Evo 4 and there is NO option for Widescreen - just like all previous versions. So I am quite satisfied that the PS2 version does not support 16:9 - at least not in any sensible or realistic way.
Mon 10/01/05 at 19:06
Regular
The closest you can get to on the PS2 or Xbox is the Wide camera.
Mon 10/01/05 at 15:38
Regular
"Touched!"
Pro Evo 4 on the Xbox at least doesn't support 16:9, if it did it would state it on the back of the box and I know it doesn't because it slightly chops off some of the text even when I've tried numerous settings on my TV.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.