GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"does any one like starfox adventures or f-zero"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'StarFox 64'.
Wed 05/01/05 at 23:33
Regular
"yo mah m8"
cmon people im interested in what you think of starfox and f-zero personally i like starfox .....
Sat 08/01/05 at 19:56
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I got F-Zero for Christmas.
> I was thinking "well, is that it?" after a short while.

To be fair to it, that's the feeling that the N64 version gave too. At first.
F-Zero X was a real grower, but even if GX is in the same class (which I don't think it's quite), I might be too aquainted with the N64 classic to ever get used to it.

In reply to Gerrid.
Odd people left Rare, and some major staff did.
But people were always coming and going, and Rare have ALWAYS been making great games (even as Ultimate Play The Game).
The odd shoddy title slipping through, but they only look bad when compared to other Rare games.

I think that sale did do a lot of "damage" to Rare.
I think that a lot of Gamecube projects were in early stages of devellopment, and a lot of the staff were pretty annoyed by the sale.
I even heard that a lot left as a result.
So there was a bit of a shake up.

However, even if Grabbed By The Goulies was a bit a of a mini-game, it did show that Rare had managed to get their hands around the Xbox hardware. Now, even I'm sceptical that they'll ever return to the heights of their glory days (but hey, I think that of Nintendo too) but I think they're ready for rebirth.

Kameo is looking good to me.
Whether they fudge up the adventure and it's another Starfox - could happen...

As to DS, Goldeneye wasn't a big chance down to liciensing and the game's so dated that it would only really appeal to the nostalgics who took the full force of it's original effect.
But Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Kazooie and Conker remakes would (and still COULD once this stupid Gizmondo suitably flops) be pretty good stuff on the little machine.

Especially with all this talk of wireless internet multiplayer...
Sat 08/01/05 at 19:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'm sure they wouldn't buy the license. I'm sure it would cost A LOT of money and EA would not be willing to give it up, lucrative as it is. Nintendo/Rare would also have little ue for it, other than republishing Goldeneye.
Sat 08/01/05 at 19:43
Regular
RARE or Nintendo can buy the license for the Goldeneye movie I'm sure.

And no, I don't like either Starfox adventures of F Zero GX. Although F Zero has had limited play time.
Sat 08/01/05 at 18:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well there wouldn't be an N64 Goldeneye DS.

Rare can't use the Bond license

EA can't use the Goldeneye engine

The two wouldn't come together mainly because they wouldn't make enough money off each sale, as the profits would have to be split 3 ways rather than just 1 or 2.

We could have had a perfect Dark with the Goldeneye engine, and we ARE getting the EA Goldeneye anyway.

Yes and with Nintendo's help Rare could have continued to make some great games, but not as great as the n64 days.
Sat 08/01/05 at 18:31
Regular
"thursdayton!"
gerrid wrote:
> There wouldn't be a Goldeneye DS

Why not?

> Without Nintendo they were
> understaffed and lacking direction, that much is obvious if you just
> look at what they've done since the buyout.

So with Nintendo who knows what they would have done?
Sat 08/01/05 at 18:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
There wouldn't be a Goldeneye DS and if thre was a Lylat Wars DS I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be made by Rare.

Rare was quite a small team when it was bought, and Microsoft were really buying the IP and the name 'Rare' rather than any sort of decent software producing company. Without Nintendo they were understaffed and lacking direction, that much is obvious if you just look at what they've done since the buyout.
Sat 08/01/05 at 17:45
Regular
"thursdayton!"
N64 Fan wrote:
> No I think that Nintendo knew what they were doing, saw the tosh that
> was in the works and got shot of them pretty quick! The defection of
> the best talents at Rare to other companies was the beginning of the
> end and Nintendo knew it.

No, I think what Gerrid said - that Nintendo could have coached them on like Retro.. if that had happend you could be looking at a different Rare right now. A Rare with some decent software launched. Remember they've had to take time to switch over to working with Xbox technology, and the critically derided Grabbed by Ghoulies was just a tester game if you will for them to get used to the Xbox platform.

Rare knew technically exactly what the Cube can do. StarFox Adventure's amazing graphics is a testament to that. With Kameo benefitting from better gameplay and the graphical wizardry that we know Rare can get the Cube, I think the Cube definately missed out with Rare leaving. And who wouldn't say no to a remake of Conker? Or Perfect Dark Zero to launch Revolution instead of Xenon?

There's the flipside of this of course. What Nintendo has done since the sale with the money they got from selling the 49% they owned, and what that has achieved. But none of us can accurately say for sure what that money was put to so I can only look and say it was a loss for Nintendo, and the Cube.

I say Nintendo as well because although Rare are still supporting GBA, as Microsoft are supporting the Gizmondo it seems Rare aren't supporting the DS. If Nintendo were still working with Rare on the Cube, you can bet your ass that we'd be seeing some Rare DS games. Lylat Wars DS. Conker DS. Perfect Dark DS. Banjo DS. And yes, that meccah that we all hope for.. Goldeneye DS.

Now tell me Nintendo were well to get shot of them.
Sat 08/01/05 at 15:54
Regular
"Shoot-em-up freak"
F-zero is the shizz, the action is so intese, frustracting and really satisfying when you actually finfsh a master grand prix or a story chapter u've been trying for ages. It makes 'wipeout' look like 'lego racers'

Haven't played starfox so i can't say much
Fri 07/01/05 at 23:39
Regular
"Random by default"
Starfox: At first i was loving it, although i have to admit it was one of the first games i got on GC so wasnt used to graphics/what it was capable of etc. Some parts i found a chore to play, but other times i felt it was just a "something to do" kinda game, no real hard parts or places where u felt you achieved something big. Plus i cant remember the ending...yet usually i can remember endings for games years back...so it must of been bad :-(

Not got F-zero as i dont do racers :-)

Rare wise they were a big part of my life on the 64! many hours, TOO many hours spent on goldeneye/perfect dark/banjo. In someways seeing how they would of been if they stayed on the GC (with those people leaving) would of been nice.
Seeing pics of conker on the xbox has brought back some memories. I'll deff find a way to get a play on it just to see how they are these days.

Edit: i remember near the time they left Nintendo, Nintendo threw out some figures of how many games/money Rare actually created....it wasnt that much. If anyone knows where they are be nice to read them again :-)
Fri 07/01/05 at 23:13
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
No I think that Nintendo knew what they were doing, saw the tosh that was in the works and got shot of them pretty quick! The defection of the best talents at Rare to other companies was the beginning of the end and Nintendo knew it.

As much as I loved the Rareware games on the N64, it was time for them to move one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.