GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ahh, Help!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/10/04 at 06:35
Regular
"Bicycle"
Ok. This hapopened on monday.

PC crashed.

Not a big deal.

Then I pulled out the power cable, and reconnected it. Pressed the power button.

Nothing.

Fans whir, a few clicks, but a completly blank screen.

I know it's not the monitor, because as soon as I pulled out the monitor cable from my graphics card, it came up with a "No Signal Input" display...

Specs:

Gigabyte Motherboard (two months old)
1GB Ram (2 months)
Connect 3D ATi Radeon 9600XT (2 months)
Pentium 4 3.2GHz CPU (1 month)
120 GB HDD
2x DVD Drive

What's happened? Has the CPU fried? Is my Mobo AWOL???

Help!!!
Mon 18/10/04 at 09:45
"I love yo... lamp."
tigamilla wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> King of Socket 478 boards is the Abit IC7 Max 3. Although it does
> cost
> a fair amount - if you can get one. Also look at the standard IC7,
> or
> possibly even the slightly lower end IS7. All from Abit.
>
> *Cough* *cough*
>
> Also the almighty Ai7 ... (souped up IS7) with the PAT features of
> the IC7 series but without the Gigabit Ethernet. The cost is just
> right too...
> Quite rare though.

That was the other one I was thinking of, I just forgot what it was called. Rare? Well it is currently in stock with overclockers and only £70. Not too shady.
Mon 18/10/04 at 01:47
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Coin wrote:
>
> Just a quick question on Mobos. Are there any alternative
> motherboards, minus the onboard sound and graphics / does it make any
> price difference?
>
The best way to find a motherboard is to google and read comments on tech forums or ABIT/ASUS/Gigabyte support forums, and see what that motherboard has to offer or how it compares to others etc..

Most motherborads now ship with at least 5.1 onboard sound, but it would be pointless getting a motherboard with on board graphics seeing as your 9600XT is faster than any onboard graphics decelerator :P

So you'll be paying for something than you will never use.

Have I understood your question correctly here?
Mon 18/10/04 at 01:40
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> King of Socket 478 boards is the Abit IC7 Max 3. Although it does cost
> a fair amount - if you can get one. Also look at the standard IC7, or
> possibly even the slightly lower end IS7. All from Abit.

*Cough* *cough*

Also the almighty Ai7 ... (souped up IS7) with the PAT features of the IC7 series but without the Gigabit Ethernet. The cost is just right too...
Quite rare though.
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:59
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hehe, it was probably the constant PSU cable yanking, probably not the best idea...

Thanks guys... I'll be getting rid of the old 250W [!!] and replacing it with a nice 500W.

Just a quick question on Mobos. Are there any alternative motherboards, minus the onboard sound and graphics / does it make any price difference?

Currently got a ATi Radeon 9600XT and a Creative Blaster Live! card anyway, so I shouldn't have a problem. (BTW, only 2 speakers.)
Sun 17/10/04 at 17:15
Regular
"the burning sky"
Maybe... but it isnt really worth replacing...
Sun 17/10/04 at 17:14
Regular
Tomoose wrote:
>
> I hard reset about 3 times a week on average, this Computer has been
> dodgy for a while, and for some reason randomly resets, (methinks due
> to a large load of processes or something) and tells me no mouse or
> keyboard are plugged in, so i have to pull the power cable out to
> sort it...

Could be your Power Supply.
Sun 17/10/04 at 17:13
Regular
"the burning sky"
Turbonutter wrote:
> FYI you shouldn't hard-reset a computer with the power lead EVER,
> always hold down the power button for 5 seconds or hit reset.
> Removing the power lead creates a voltage differential between the
> cable and the pins - it sparks, there's a voltage surge and any
> number of things could happen, especially with cheap PSUs.

I hard reset about 3 times a week on average, this Computer has been dodgy for a while, and for some reason randomly resets, (methinks due to a large load of processes or something) and tells me no mouse or keyboard are plugged in, so i have to pull the power cable out to sort it...
Sun 17/10/04 at 14:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sounds liek you've popped a transistor on the motherboard or scrambled the BIOS. I think your only solution is to use the BIOS reset jumper (change its position, try to turn the computer on, then turn the computer off and put the jumper back to its original position). If that doesn't work, RMA the board.

FYI you shouldn't hard-reset a computer with the power lead EVER, always hold down the power button for 5 seconds or hit reset. Removing the power lead creates a voltage differential between the cable and the pins - it sparks, there's a voltage surge and any number of things could happen, especially with cheap PSUs.
Sun 17/10/04 at 13:47
"I love yo... lamp."
King of Socket 478 boards is the Abit IC7 Max 3. Although it does cost a fair amount - if you can get one. Also look at the standard IC7, or possibly even the slightly lower end IS7. All from Abit.

The Asus P4C800 is the best Asus board and also very good. Again however it is pricey, so also consider the Asus P4P800.

They are the ones that spring to mind to me anyway.

However, if memory serves me correctly, your motherboard has dual BIOSes on it, so I think that rules out the BIOS.
Sun 17/10/04 at 13:34
Regular
"Bicycle"
Pop...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.