GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ahh, Help!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/10/04 at 06:35
Regular
"Bicycle"
Ok. This hapopened on monday.

PC crashed.

Not a big deal.

Then I pulled out the power cable, and reconnected it. Pressed the power button.

Nothing.

Fans whir, a few clicks, but a completly blank screen.

I know it's not the monitor, because as soon as I pulled out the monitor cable from my graphics card, it came up with a "No Signal Input" display...

Specs:

Gigabyte Motherboard (two months old)
1GB Ram (2 months)
Connect 3D ATi Radeon 9600XT (2 months)
Pentium 4 3.2GHz CPU (1 month)
120 GB HDD
2x DVD Drive

What's happened? Has the CPU fried? Is my Mobo AWOL???

Help!!!
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:45
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Coin wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> Whats the cheapest in the IC7 range with Gigabit LAN?

That would be the MAX2...
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> However, if memory serves me correctly, your motherboard has dual
> BIOSes on it, so I think that rules out the BIOS.

I thought that too, but it wasnt the case with my bro's.
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:33
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hmmm...

Whats the cheapest in the IC7 range with Gigabit LAN?
Mon 18/10/04 at 20:18
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
I would go with the IC7... I can (almost) guarantee total satisfaction...

It is a legendary board - whereas I cant really say that I have heard of the Gigabyte offering.

The IC7-G MAX series is more expensive because of the Gigabit network capability (Overkill) and the Max3 mainly because it features the external exhaust sytem for the PWM area.

Then again Iam a blatant ABIT fan after my previous underperforming Gigabyte Graphics card, and my quite frankly awful Asus Mobo...

I think the fact that Biggles recommended it backs the argument up in favour of the IC7 :-)
Mon 18/10/04 at 17:44
Regular
"Bicycle"
OK.

Need to order the mobo today.

Now, is there really that big a difference between the Abit IC7 Max3 ([URL] http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Abit2.html [/URL]) and the Gigabyte GA-8IK100 ([URL] http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Gigabyte.html [/URL])?

Should it be a £50 difference?
Mon 18/10/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Bicycle"
But £50 is way over my budget...

I may replace it in a few months, so ya know...
Mon 18/10/04 at 12:40
Regular
If you purchase a cheap power supply it will more than likely die quickly and can even take out most of your hardware with it, also a good power supply will help with system stability, Your system will probably not require anything as high as 500watts, Just a bit of advise.

Oh and i just read my post and instead of £350 i meant to put 350 watt (sorry), you can get a good power supply for about £50

colin
Mon 18/10/04 at 12:36
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh, I don't want to be spending anything over £20-25...

And I reckon I'll be needing aroudn 400-500W supply.
Mon 18/10/04 at 12:30
Regular
Most motherboards will take more than one differant speed of ddr, it just means that the memory bus will be running at the slowest memory speed, I have the Abit IC7 Max3 motherboard is my HTPC and it is pretty brilliant a motherboard but it has onboard sound, Also when buying a power supply don't just look at the max wattage as a 500Watt cheap power supply would be worse that a 350 watt expensive power supply, it's all about the individual power rails, I think it is worth spending that little extra for a good quality power supply as you will be thankfull in the long run.

Colin
Mon 18/10/04 at 11:42
Regular
"Bicycle"
Ah, I meant I don't need them.

So preferably a board w/o onboard graphics and sound...

Hmm, like the sound of the Ai7...

You don't know if it, like the Gigabyte GAK1100, can support two different types of RAM at once?

My current setup is... 1x 256MB PC2700 DDR 1x 512MB PC2700 DDR 1x 256MB PC3200

And for some reason it works.

Don't know how, I ordered the last stick by mistake, wanted a PC2700. But if it works...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.