GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ahh, Help!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/10/04 at 06:35
Regular
"Bicycle"
Ok. This hapopened on monday.

PC crashed.

Not a big deal.

Then I pulled out the power cable, and reconnected it. Pressed the power button.

Nothing.

Fans whir, a few clicks, but a completly blank screen.

I know it's not the monitor, because as soon as I pulled out the monitor cable from my graphics card, it came up with a "No Signal Input" display...

Specs:

Gigabyte Motherboard (two months old)
1GB Ram (2 months)
Connect 3D ATi Radeon 9600XT (2 months)
Pentium 4 3.2GHz CPU (1 month)
120 GB HDD
2x DVD Drive

What's happened? Has the CPU fried? Is my Mobo AWOL???

Help!!!
Wed 20/10/04 at 22:32
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Coin wrote:
> So what's a high rating? 20? 40? 100?

High 20's at least.
Tue 19/10/04 at 23:16
Regular
"Bicycle"
So what's a high rating? 20? 40? 100?
Tue 19/10/04 at 22:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would agree with the others on PSU, spend a decent amount £40+ as problems can occur because of the PSU.

Look for the rails not the overall rating. The rails are 3.3v, 5v and 12v. Each component uses a certain voltage and needs power. If one of the rails is too low, then a power spike can cause system problems. A decent PSU usually has high ratings on all 3 rails.

On my old computer I noticed that the power readings on the monitoring software use to be going up and down all the time, and at times the computer crashed while these voltages were fluctuating. The new PC with a Enermax 460w PSU stays solid all the time. Actually this PSU is so good that if there is a brief power cut i.e 0.5 second outage the PC actually stays on.

My friend got a Jeantech 500w from PC World for £40 and looking at the rails it seems a great buy, better rails and more power than a more expensive 430w Antec PSU. Another friend has the same PSU and is running 3 or so hard disks, 2 DVD drives, high end graphics card and has no problems.
Tue 19/10/04 at 20:37
Regular
"Bicycle"
Rar.

Magna.

/ Ebuyer.
Tue 19/10/04 at 15:01
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Coin wrote:
> Overkill is good?
>
Well I doubt in the lifetime of the board thatb you're ever going to fully utilise that kind of bandwidth :-)

>
> Also decided on a £20 500W PSU. Read reviews, good enough for a
> few months.
>
> Also has a little on / off switch.
>

*Groan*

All it takes is a little spike on the second day of usage to fry your motherboard and CPU etc... what make is it?

We went through this with Alastair :P
Tue 19/10/04 at 10:41
Regular
"Bicycle"
Overkill is good?

Mmm... Final Fantasy references... Mmm...

Also decided on a £20 500W PSU. Read reviews, good enough for a few months.

Also has a little on / off switch.

Yay.
Tue 19/10/04 at 00:03
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Coin wrote:
> Meh, can't wait.
>
> Abit IC7-G, here I come!

Thats the spirit!!

Answering your question; Gigabit LAN is 10 times faster than standard ethernet :P hence the overkill comment!
Mon 18/10/04 at 22:22
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh, can't wait.

Abit IC7-G, here I come!
Mon 18/10/04 at 21:14
Regular
"Bicycle"
Wait up.

What exactly is Gigabit LAN? I need something cheaper...
Mon 18/10/04 at 21:00
Regular
"Bicycle"
Thanks, off to buy one now...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.