GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shark Tale (Dreamworks new CGI Movie) Possibly a big flop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/10/04 at 23:51
Regular
Fancy 3D graphics and lots of big well paid stars doesn't gurantee Dreamworks a winner. Their latest CGI movie is Shark Tale, yes another under water film. I know people say not to compare it with Finding Nemo (like the whole Antz/A Bug's Life thing) but it's hard not to. Starring Will Smith, Robert De Niro, Renée Zellweger, Jack Black, Angelina Jolie and Martin Scorsese to name a few, Dreamworks were probably pinning their hopes for yet another big winner like Shrek and Shrek 2, unfortunately not this time.

You can see trailers for it here [URL]http://www.sharktale.com/[/URL]

It currently has 4.8/10 on the Internet Moview Database, making it the worst 3D movie ever made by Pixar and Dreamworks (the lowest of which I think is Antz at 7.0/10) Okay there's only 100 odd votes but still :)

Rotten Tomatoes has Shark Tales at 33/100% with 88 critic reviews from newspapers/sites/etc with a current rating of 5.1/10 which I suppose isn't too bad, about average. You can read a lot of the reviews on the site [URL]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shark_tale/[/URL]

Speaking for myself, I haven't seen the movie yet, I wasn't impressed by the trailers. I'll give the movie a try, won't see it at the cinema and I'm not sure many will. Dreamworks have a lot to learn. The Pixar philosophy as mentioned by John Lasseter is that "THE STORY IS KING" and it seems the lack of a decent one has cost Dreamworks a winner.

I was hoping to find a good review I saw that pretty much said everything about the movie. I'm still looking for it now, I'll post it later.
Mon 04/10/04 at 00:01
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Has anyone seen the trailer for that other CGI film? Jumbah And The Shumps...or something like that. What the hell is it? It looks like a copy of Shrek and even has the Smash Mouth song from Shrek on the trailer. It's also written my the guys behind Bug's Life and Hurcules. That'll be a winner then.
Sun 03/10/04 at 23:42
Regular
Results are in Shark Tale is in #1 spot with $49,100,000 in a whopping 4016, last week Shaun of the Dead for is first week in America was only in 607 while it's other rivals were in 2000-3000 cinemas more. Focus who are releasing Shaun of the Dead in America were kind enough to put it in another 38 cinemas ¬_¬ If that's the best they can do then that's terrible and all that advertising (tv/web/etc) wasnt worth it.

Back to Shark Tale $50 million is quite good, we'll have to see how well they do next week.

[URL]http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html[/URL]
Sun 03/10/04 at 02:11
Regular
Mystique wrote:
> kittworld wrote:
>
> It currently has 4.8/10 on the Internet Moview Database, making it
> the worst 3D movie ever made by Pixar and Dreamworks (the lowest of
> which I think is Antz at 7.0/10) Okay there's only 100 odd votes but
> still :)
> >
> ********
> Pixar didn't make Shark Tale, Dreamworks did which are a rival to
> Pixar.

Being an animator for 5 years now, I'd be pretty stupid not to know that. I suppose I wasn't clear enough, I was referring only to 3D movies made by Pixar and Dreamworks as there are other 3D movies made by other studios that have been rated worse. It just sounded better if I only included those two studios for now.

That and the title for the thread did say "Dreamwork's new CGI movie" :) oh and this bit too made it more clear regarding the rivalry between the two studios "The Pixar philosophy as mentioned by John Lasseter is that "THE STORY IS KING" and it seems the lack of a decent one has cost Dreamworks a winner [i.e Shark Tale]."

You're a big animation fan Myst, or Disney, you seem to get all their titles. I'll be keen to see their first non-Pixar 3D movie. I still think it was a mistake for them to stop doing 2D animated features. If this Shark Tale is a flop (which it probably wont do but will likely not do as well as many of the others) then perhaps it might make them (Disney & Dreamworks who also gave up 2D) think twice about what really makes a great movie.

I think after The Incredibles they have one more movie left with Disney. Cars, a world of talking cars no doubt :) As for Dreamworks I read over some of their next films. Can't seem to verify what they are on their website as it's not working properly, but if I remember correctly they were all, once again, talking animal movies. One I think might have been in a forest the other in a zoo. I have nothing against talking animal feature films I just think we've had more than enough for the time being. Shrek and The Incredible were/look interesting. Though I think it's a mistake for Dreamworks to do so many sequels and prequel with their one winning franchise. Well if you've got a good thing might as well make the most of it. Like how Disney made sequels to how many of their films? *coughs* Too many if you ask me, though I do love the Aladdin trilogy, one of my favourite feature films and the video game was ground breaking too.
Sun 03/10/04 at 01:56
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Mystique wrote:
> Pixar didn't make Shark Tale, Dreamworks did which are a rival to
> Pixar.

Ah Pixar, they're brilliant. I'm 20 and I don't mind admiting that the Toy Story films are still amongst my favourite movies, simply because they are works of art.
Sat 02/10/04 at 23:45
Regular
kittworld wrote:

> It currently has 4.8/10 on the Internet Moview Database, making it
> the worst 3D movie ever made by Pixar and Dreamworks (the lowest of
> which I think is Antz at 7.0/10) Okay there's only 100 odd votes but
> still :)
>
Pixar didn't make Shark Tale, Dreamworks did which are a rival to Pixar.
Sat 02/10/04 at 22:49
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
Aoe wrote:
> darkcrystal wrote:
> Finding Nemo looked pants, so this is even worse.
>
> But you havn't seen finding nemo have you?
>
> FN was class :-D
>

I don't have to see it to know I wouldn't like it.
Sat 02/10/04 at 22:34
Regular
The Will Smith fish looks like him.
Sat 02/10/04 at 22:33
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Never seen Finding Nemo, but I've always assumed it was balls.
Sat 02/10/04 at 22:29
"period drama"
Finding Nemo was completely unhilarious. I never understood the excitement there.
Sat 02/10/04 at 22:23
Regular
"gsybe you!"
A) It looks like a poor rip off of Finding Nemo
B) Finding Nemo was the most unfunny 'comedy' ever made.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.