GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TONY- IDEAS FOR GAMEDAY/SR"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/05/01 at 17:39
Regular
Hey everyone. As some of you might have noticed, every day I try to put up a question for you all to chip into. After 4 days I ran out of questions.

Anyway, my idea is for competitions about games. And we're not talking the one u just had "Who makes the PS2". OMG! We're talking very technical questions... but questions that with research can be answered... first correst answer wins. For example, name all Miyamoto's games in order- ok, that would be a bit too long, but there's an idea.. A question like that which would need a couple of weeks to answer! Then as a reward, you could either give a game (although with GAD already this could be costly)- OR even better would be to reward it with a recommendation to upgrade statice from Regular to Notable, OR just add losts of posts onto your total count for that month :)

Finally, how about having a proper vote bit of the site. The vots that you would have would be 2 fold. Firstly, u could have SR votes, eg. Who should become a notable this month, rather than have HUGE topics! Secondly users on SR could post their own votes (eg, Zelda or Final Fantasy and other rubbish!) thus enhancing the site!

Sonic
Sun 06/05/01 at 17:39
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Hey everyone. As some of you might have noticed, every day I try to put up a question for you all to chip into. After 4 days I ran out of questions.

Anyway, my idea is for competitions about games. And we're not talking the one u just had "Who makes the PS2". OMG! We're talking very technical questions... but questions that with research can be answered... first correst answer wins. For example, name all Miyamoto's games in order- ok, that would be a bit too long, but there's an idea.. A question like that which would need a couple of weeks to answer! Then as a reward, you could either give a game (although with GAD already this could be costly)- OR even better would be to reward it with a recommendation to upgrade statice from Regular to Notable, OR just add losts of posts onto your total count for that month :)

Finally, how about having a proper vote bit of the site. The vots that you would have would be 2 fold. Firstly, u could have SR votes, eg. Who should become a notable this month, rather than have HUGE topics! Secondly users on SR could post their own votes (eg, Zelda or Final Fantasy and other rubbish!) thus enhancing the site!

Sonic
Sun 06/05/01 at 17:45
Regular
SonicRav wrote:

>add losts of posts onto your total count for that month :)

People are treating posts counts as a score now?
And there I was thinking that it was just another statistic...

I know that SonicRav was joking (always look for the smiley face :-)) but people are treating it like a score (eg Er-no :-D)

Apart from that I think that this is a great idea.
It'll stop the regulars moaning about how newbies always win things :-)
Sun 06/05/01 at 17:46
Regular
I think a voting system for the next notables will be a good idea, otherwise we are going to get people upset that some people didn't vote for them, so we can stay anonymous.
Sun 06/05/01 at 17:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Here's another one... how about, when u register, u can make some of your info public (if you chose to). Therefore u might let people see your msn address for example, or your age. Could make the site more interesting, and get people talking on msn etc.

Sonic
Sun 06/05/01 at 17:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
SonicRav wrote:
> Here's another one... how about, when u register, u can make some of
> your info public (if you chose to). Therefore u might let people see
> your msn address for example, or your age. Could make the site more
> interesting, and get people talking on msn etc.

Sonic

I've just thought that this could be done by listing the info under your tagline. Maybe have a textbox in the registration/details bit. Then u can enter anything u want in the box (perhaps given a few suggestions like msn address etc) This could then be displayed under the tagline

Sonic
Sun 06/05/01 at 17:51
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I think a voting system for the next notables will be a good idea,
> otherwise we are going to get people upset that some people didn't
> vote for them, so we can stay anonymous.

I think that should have been done for the first vote
Sun 06/05/01 at 17:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Good point about posts not being a score! Maybe we should have a "STAR POINTS" system. It's would be like the notable/regular/mewbie system, but with one difference. Every time you posted something people could click a button to try to add a star to your rating... if you get 100 points (or whatever) you get a star. (You make sure people only get a certain number of points o award or something). Anyway, this coul then be used as a score to allow people to make more informed opinions when votinf for notables.

This way you aren't just poting to win games, but also gain stars/respect.

Alternatively, only staff could add stars, making it all less biased... in the same way the award games, but with some days having more than one star being added, and some days having no stars added! Now that's incentive!

Sonic
Sun 06/05/01 at 18:20
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I doubt they would take up that idea. THe reason you win games and films is because you are promoting their site/helping their site to sell games and get visitors. Questions dont do the same as a review they help them nowt.
Sun 06/05/01 at 18:25
Regular
How about a brand new system called Grix points.

Basically, when you impress me, I give you a point. Then you could have several stages that you could go through, depending on the number of points you have.

Say, you start at "insignificant", work your way through "peasant" and "idiotboy", and eventually reach the grand title of "Master Slave".

A system with no flaws, as far as I'm concerned. :D
Sun 06/05/01 at 21:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Rakuga wrote:
> I doubt they would take up that idea. THe reason you win games and
> films is because you are promoting their site/helping their site to
> sell games and get visitors. Questions dont do the same as a review
> they help them nowt.

But remember that they HAVE questions already. Last week they had a competition for a PS2. The question was "who makes the PS2" with options, Sony, Microsoft or Sega (or something like that). Why not have really challenging questions for regulars/newbies who come on reguarly

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.