GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has anyone noticed ????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/01/05 at 14:27
Regular
"..."
Has anyone noticed that MGS1 was supposed to take place this year ? Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake took place in 1999, if you haven't played it you can read "Previous Missions", and in MGS1 after the Ninja Boss fight Snake said that he fought Gray Fox on a minefield in Zanzibar 6 years ago, which means that MGS1 took place this year !!!
Mon 17/01/05 at 18:16
Regular
"..."
10 years ? It will be out in less than 2 months, and it's already out in America. Besides, if you are looking for fun, then why don't you just Buy Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance ?
Mon 17/01/05 at 19:13
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Twin Snakes was released last year. What are you on?By your reckoning you should never buy any game because a better one will be released soon. What kind of thing to say is that? Are you claiming that MGS3 is an update of MGS1? Are they the same game?

You think that MGS was the best game ever and that Twin Snakes ruined it by diluting the formula. I don't think that is the case. I think Twin Snakes is more interesting and a more fun game to play than the original which was limited by the technology.

End of
Mon 17/01/05 at 19:14
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Also I won't buy MGS 2 because I thought it was balls. All story and no game. I don't want to pay £40 to watch a CGI film.
Tue 18/01/05 at 04:30
Regular
"8==="
homosh wrote:
> 10 years ? It will be out in less than 2 months, and it's already out
> in America. Besides, if you are looking for fun, then why don't you
> just Buy Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance ?

If I'm looking for fun I won't be buying an MGS game. They were suppassed when Thief hit the shelves many years ago. MGS is just a poor man's Stealth 'em up.
Tue 18/01/05 at 11:29
Regular
"..."
gerrid wrote:
> Twin Snakes was released last year. What are you on?By your reckoning
> you should never buy any game because a better one will be released
> soon. What kind of thing to say is that? Are you claiming that MGS3
> is an update of MGS1? Are they the same game?

That doesn't matter, all what matters is that this so called "improved gameplay" will not be a strong point anymore. And it's obvious that you are looking for fun for a limited time. MGS1 is a kind of game that lives in memory for a long time, that's what makes it special. Why then do you think they considered remaking it ?

> You think that MGS was the best game ever and that Twin Snakes ruined
> it by diluting the formula. I don't think that is the case.

This is EXACTLY the case.

>I think
> Twin Snakes is more interesting and a more fun game to play than the
> original which was limited by the technology.

Lack of technology doesn't matter. If a game is judged by it's technology, then simply all Xbox games would be better than all PS2 games, and PS2 would be completely worthless.

> End of

Don't you ever dare to tell me "End Of" . You can't win against me in an argument that has anything to do with Metal Gear. I know far much more about it than you do. You didn't even know about "Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake". I on the other hand, have played and finished every single game in history to carry the name "Metal Gear". And I know MGS1 like the back of my hand. Actually I know it even more than that. Sometimes I even forget how old is my brother, by I can never EVER forget a single digit that was mentioned in Metal Gear Solid 1.

gerrid wrote:
> Also I won't buy MGS 2 because I thought it was balls. All story and
> no game. I don't want to pay £40 to watch a CGI film.

That's just you. Obviously you have superficial taste about video games. MGS2 was great, it just wasn't as good as MGS1. If MGS2 on it's own is compared to other games , it would always be much greater.

Hedfix wrote:
> homosh wrote:
> 10 years ? It will be out in less than 2 months, and it's already
> out
> in America. Besides, if you are looking for fun, then why don't you
> just Buy Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance ?
>
> If I'm looking for fun I won't be buying an MGS game. They were
> suppassed when Thief hit the shelves many years ago. MGS is just a
> poor man's Stealth 'em up.

You may think that thief was stealthier, but that's just your opinion. All the major reviewers and the public opinion overall looked at MGS1 back then in 1998 as the game that shook the gaming industry due to it's revolutionary gameplay back then. Besides at this day and age there are many games that surpass MGS1 in terms of gameplay. Now there is the Hitman series, the Splinter Cell series, and every now and then we keep hearing about a game that is trying to compete with Metal Gear Solid games. But yet MGS1 remains the best, do you know why ? It's because of the brilliant story and direction. There is absolutely no other stealth game that can touch the srory of MGS1, not even MGS2 ! And certainly not The Twin Snakes.
Tue 18/01/05 at 11:40
Loads of something to babble on about there, mainly you being stuck up, but never mind.

homosh wrote:

> There is absolutely no other stealth game that can touch the srory of
> MGS1, not even MGS2 ! And certainly not The Twin Snakes.

I hate to break it to you, but Twin Snakes shared the same story as MGS1.
Tue 18/01/05 at 15:08
Regular
"8==="
Thief had a better story too.
Tue 18/01/05 at 17:49
Regular
"..."
Hedfix wrote:
> Thief had a better story too.

No.

lcarus wrote:
> Loads of something to babble on about there, mainly you being stuck
> up, but never mind.
>
> homosh wrote:
>
> There is absolutely no other stealth game that can touch the srory
> of
> MGS1, not even MGS2 ! And certainly not The Twin Snakes.
>
> I hate to break it to you, but Twin Snakes shared the same story as
> MGS1.

Yes, it had the same script, same scenario, the characters said the same words, but it still can't touch MGS1. You see, imagine that a phrase has to be said in a movie, let this phrase be, for example: "Oh God, please help us". Now let's suppose that the director of the movie wants to shoot a scene where there people in trouble, and they have to say this phrase. And then he came up with this scene: The people who are supposed to say this phrase are 3 unarmed persons being held at gun point by 100 soldiers armed with M4 rifles, hand grenades, and rocket launchers.

But then, the assistant of the director came up with this: The people who are supposed to say this phrase are 3 persons being held at gun point by 3 other persons, all 6 of them carry the same weapons, and are wearing body armours.

Now trying to tell me that The Twin Snakes was as good as MGS1 is the same as saying that assumptions of both the director and the assistant director can represent the phrase "Oh God, please help us".
And trying to tell me that The Twin Snakes was an improvement over MGS1 is the same as saying that the assumption of the assistant director gives the better description of the phrase "Oh God, Please Help us". You see, the assistant can make all kinds of improvements like adding better sound effects, visual effects, etc... But yet, the director's assumption gives the better image of the same phrase. Can you see the point now ? Before I bought The Twin Snakes, I thought like everybody else that it's going to be an improvement. And yes , there is better gameplay, and yes there are better graphics, but these have never been the things I loved about MGS1, or 2. Just try playing The Twin Snakes assuming that you don't know what's going to happen, and that you never played MGS1 before. You would find that nothing makes sense, and all the people who died weren't really supposed to die according to the way the scenes were being directed, and all the sacrifices that have been made were without a purpose. They feels as if they didn't make any difference. However, if you play MGS1 also assuming that you don't know anything, you'd find it much better.Try to think from Snake's prespective during every second in the game. When he get's caught, keep out of your mind the fact that he is going to escape eventually. When he feels sorry for Meryl, keep out of your mind the fact that you can save her by getting through the torture, even if you get passed it. And don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you to play tricks on your mind , I'm not telling you to just forget all about it and remove your previous memory about it, that's impossible, for anybody. What I'm trying to tell you is to try and feel what Snake feels in every unique instant in the game. When he feels sorry, happy, or in trouble try to understand what he feels at that instant, at that moment. Especially at the last seen. In the original MGS1 if you try to understand what Snake felt right after the 1st boss fight with REX, unlike The Twin Snakes, you'll feel that Snake is actually in trouble. He would be standing there as a helpless human being infront of the giant REX. And when he's about to be stepped on, try to imagine what it would be like when death is right there infront of, and just when it's about to happen, everything changes. The moment of defeat and desperation has turned into a moment of purity. What Fox did in the original MGS1 DID make a difference. In The Twin Snakes it had many other meanings except making a difference. In The Twin Snakes it felt that this scene, and many other scenes , where there only, and I mean ONLY because they were in MGS1, nothing more than that. Yes there is more action, and yes they are more adrenaline pack if you'd like something like that. But the factor that made MGS1 special in the first place wasn't there. Also take all that, and add it to the absence of the great music. Do you remember the music that was played after Sniper Wolf's death ? Do you remember how glourious the boss fights used to feel ? Do you remember how tense was it when the alarm went off ? When the soldiers ran after you through the comm tower ? When Snake and Naomi talked about their memories in the past ? What happened to all that ? Did you find it that easy to just forget all about that ? All this gloury ? Well fine, enjoy your Twin Snakes, but I'll hang to the original, the best, and my number one favourite Metal Gear Solid. Forever.
Tue 18/01/05 at 19:03
Regular
"Bicycle"
homosh wrote:
>Stuff.

Paragraphs please...
Tue 18/01/05 at 21:31
Regular
"bit of a brain"
homosh wrote:
> That doesn't matter, all what matters is that this so called
> "improved gameplay" will not be a strong point anymore.

Erm, no. You can't use this as an argument it doesn't make sense. Just because a game has been surpassed after it was released doesn't make the game any worse. By your reckoning "what is the point of Halo when Halo 2 was released?" is a perfetly valid statement, when it's obviously just ludicrous. Stop trying to say that MGS Twin Snakes was pointless because MGS3 was released. It doesn't make sense.

And
> it's obvious that you are looking for fun for a limited time. MGS1 is
> a kind of game that lives in memory for a long time, that's what
> makes it special. Why then do you think they considered remaking it
> ?

If it lives in memory for so long then why update it? Why not just leave it. I'm sure the reason that it wa updated was because they wanted to UPDATE IT. You see?

> End of
>
> Don't you ever dare to tell me "End Of" . You can't win
> against me in an argument that has anything to do with Metal Gear.

It's not about winning, you idiot. You have an opinion that MGS is the best game ever. I'm afraid I'm not going to agree with you. You can't prove that it was better than TS because it's a matter of taste. Just because you prefered the original doesn't mean that everyone else has to. Get over yourself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.