GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Opinions on my site design please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/04 at 16:41
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Well I've been designing my site bloodbanx.com but the hosting isn't worked out yet, so could you please look at [URL]http://www.geocities.com/bloodbanxanimation/aboutbloodbanx[/URL] and give constructive feedback.

Oh and if anybody knows how to make the head bar and head text in the news windows and things work properly could you tell me.

Thanks Bessant
Tue 28/09/04 at 15:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Fix your link, and yes, it looks nicer.
Tue 28/09/04 at 15:57
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Thanks Garwin and everybody else,

Just so that I can get some idea of where some of you are coming from.

could you take a little peak at [URL]http://www.newgrounds.com[/URL]

and tell me if you like the site desgin on that better, I choose that site although it's alot more advanced etc, but the design is slightly diffrent to mine.

Oh and I have no plans to become any kind of web designer or anything to do with computers serouisly, I want to be an electrical engineer. This site and my animation is just a hobby.
Tue 28/09/04 at 08:42
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Mon 27/09/04 at 22:15
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> The thing is that I want to seperate all my pages so that people
> don't use up too much bandwidth trying to get what they want, and i
> can't make a text list of all the links as it will look shabby and
> will take up too much room. other than that I don't really understand
> the hate for flash, nearly everybody has it and it's only 50k to load
> on the first page then it's easy going.
>

Yes, lots of sites have flash. The trick to using it is to make it appear seamless with the rest of your site. You have improved that aspect since you first posted the link, but the flash still looks a little mismatched with the rest of the site. For instance the section you've got the logo and navigation in is a different width to the rest of the site, the scroller overlaps onto the side bars too. Just little things that make the site look a lot worse than it really is. I'll admit I'm not a fan of your design anyway, but as long as its to your taste, who cares. :)

> WHY dammit? dreamweaver does the job, why should I spend ages using
> code?
>

When you first posted that link, your site had loads of errors in it, text not lined up with images and so on. The problem was, the code was a total mess, full of things that didnt need to be there or done in a quite strange manner. Theres nothing wrong with using dreamweaver of course especially if you've no great ambitions about web design other than to get your site online. But if you're going to keep continue to do it, trying to get to grips with the code yourself instead of relying on dreamweaver will in the long run save you time.

>
> I don't know exactly what you mean by some of the comments, I will
> probaly get rid of the flash logo, but the flash nav bar and rotation
> are almost essential for space saving.
>

Hm, looking at your flash nav bar, you have maybe 10 links? Unless you have plans for even more links, fairly certain you could fit those in comfortably on the page without the need for a flash navigation.
Mon 27/09/04 at 21:29
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
SUMMER AND SETH JUST HAD SEX... ooook.

Thanks for all the help, but I'm torn bettween what to do.

"Well, it has Flash. And I hate Flash appearing unless I click on a link that mentions it."
"I like the flash menu although it does seem a bit too in your face."
"I guess you don't care what I think, but don't go mad with Flash."
"I agree - too much flash... it looks rubbish in my opinion"

The thing is that I want to seperate all my pages so that people don't use up too much bandwidth trying to get what they want, and i can't make a text list of all the links as it will look shabby and will take up too much room. other than that I don't really understand the hate for flash, nearly everybody has it and it's only 50k to load on the first page then it's easy going.

and as for Coin -"Meh, what prog are you using?
Stop using it. Use notepad and write your own damn code."

WHY dammit? dreamweaver does the job, why should I spend ages using code?

I don't know exactly what you mean by some of the comments, I will probaly get rid of the flash logo, but the flash nav bar and rotation are almost essential for space saving.

if you could show me an example of what you think would look good I would be grateful.

If you could please tell me what is soo wrong with flash though.

as you may have already guessed I am new to the webdesign.

thanks for the help.
Mon 27/09/04 at 21:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Thanks for the spoiler dude.

Die.
Mon 27/09/04 at 21:10
Regular
"Bicycle"
SUMMER AND SETH JUST HAD SEX...

The OC ro>
(Sorry, was reading, sh*t happend, later...)

Sorry.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Indeed.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:56
Regular
Ahahahahahahaha.

Tyla rocks.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:44
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Opens link...

Closes browser quickly then goes to wash eye's out with acid...

I feel dirty!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.