GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""The year of the handheld""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/01/05 at 12:21
Regular
Yes, I know, there is about 50 posts on this forum with "wich do u fink iz betta? DS or PENISP?" as their topic.

I just found this article on the BBC news website which looks at both machines and anticipates their arrival.

Pretty interesting reading if you are bored.

Afterall, 2005 will be the year of the handheld....

....and I cannot wait

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/4175141.stm[/URL]
Mon 17/01/05 at 14:01
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Stuff
>
> It'd be such a dissapointment if Nintendo released the next GB in a
> few years time though; and then maybe the successor to the DS a year
> on.

I doubt they'll be a successor to the DS, I imagine the DS to be a stand alone system.

And Strafio, you "assume" the GBA2 will be released if the DS wasn't a success.

You should know by now not to assume anything when Nintendo is concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a GBA2 Christmas 2005!

The GBA was released in 2001, the GBA SP was released in 2002 and the DS in 2004...
Mon 17/01/05 at 13:14
You can bet Nintendo will be happy with your money though.
Mon 17/01/05 at 12:54
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Stuff

It'd be such a dissapointment if Nintendo released the next GB in a few years time though; and then maybe the successor to the DS a year on.

It'd be such a money drainer owning both machines.
Mon 17/01/05 at 11:23
Regular
It was a third pillar incase all went wrong, but seeing as it does everything the GBA SP does AND more, it's like the PSOne to PS2.
I think that Nintendo were cautious of scaring their Gameboy market with too many new ideas, so they kept it low key, and kept the possibility of another Gameboy, just incase it DID scare their fanbase.

But there seems to be no problems at all so far.
Except for lack of analogue stick.
But when the next Nintendo handheld comes with the analogue stick/disc, I'd still like to see dual screen/touch screen and all that jazz too.

Just maybe with Gamecube graphics.

DS2 anyone? ;-)
Mon 17/01/05 at 10:39
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:

> Ideally, the next Gameboy should be the successor to the DS AND
> GBASP.

It won't be though. The DS is not the successor to the GBA SP and the next Gameboy is not the successor to the DS, it will be the successor to the GBA SP.

The DS exists on a different time line, it's like a home console, Nintendo see it as a third pillar.

Of course it'll infringe on the GBA SP but it won't replace it. It'll compete but won't replace. The GBA SP will be like the PS1 during the early years of the PS2. But then the next Gameboy'll be released. A simple, one screend handheld device with perhaps an analogue stick being the only major innovation.

A simple handheld device.

Whilst the DS will continue with its unique abilities along side it.

If the DS succeed's massivly, which I doubt, Nintendo maybe dubious releasing the GBA2 so early and will instead wait a while, build up a catalogue of launch games for it, give developers more time etc...

But they won't wait too long, and I have my doubts about the DS.
Mon 17/01/05 at 09:14
Regular
Well the DS is pretty much a successor to the SP.

Just like the PS2 is a successor to the Playstation.
I think there were still a few PS games coming out when the PS2 was released, and the PS2 could play them, but the PS2 format gradually took over.

Everything the SP can do, the DS does too, only better.
And that's including playing GBA games! :-)
Sun 16/01/05 at 18:42
Regular
"Pwned"
Agreed.
Sun 16/01/05 at 18:02
Regular
Well, Nintendo better wait a few years before bringing the next Gameboy then.

Ideally, the next Gameboy should be the successor to the DS AND GBASP.
Sun 16/01/05 at 17:45
Regular
"Pwned"
No, the DS isn't a 'gameboy,' it's just a portable console made by nintendo. (sounds strange, but true)
Sun 16/01/05 at 17:42
Regular
Maybe the DS is the next Gameboy? Maybe the Gameboy (name) is being pushed out to bring in new names such as DS?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.