GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Question 2"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/09/04 at 20:27
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I had a dream I was waiting on my train in Central Station in Glasgow. Anyway, this guy chased after me shouting that he was going to kill me. He caught up with me and started slashing me with his knife. So I fought back or something and in the end killed him.

The dream ended with me getting sent to prison. What does the law actually say about self-defence. Surely, if you are completely innocent and it's a you or them situation it would be pretty unfair to send someone to jail for a few years under manslaughter just because they didn't want to die.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:45
Regular
"SOUP!"
That wasnt a dream, it was on The Bill a few days ago.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:28
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Of course I wouldn't be guilt ridden for my life but it's not as if you'd feel proud you won. Well, some people might. I wouldn't.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:18
Regular
The law states that you can beat someone to death with a sack of kittens should they look at you in a funny way.

If someone attacked me with the clear intention of ending my life or at the least causing me critical injury, I can't see any reason why I would feel sorry for them if I was somehow able to off them instead.

They hold your life cheap, why not return the favour?
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:15
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Out of everything, I'd feel crap about killing in self-defence too.
> It's harder to convince myself that 'it was either me or them', than
> 'this person deserves to die'.

But surely you could decide that the person deserves to die if they're going round attacking people.

If someone tried to rob you in the street and then physically attacked you when you refused to give them what they wanted and you were forced to fight back, wouldn't you feel that the world probably is better off without them?
After all, it would ensure they never did the same to anyone else.

I'd feel more comfortable killing in self defence than actually planning to kill some unsuspecting person.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:11
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:
> I don't know if I would.
> It would really depend on the situation.
>
> If someone lunged towards me with a knife and I did something in
> retaliation that ended up killing them, I doubt I'd feel much
> compassion for them.

Likewise, but I'd still feel pretty crap.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:10
Regular
Out of everything, I'd feel crap about killing in self-defence too. It's harder to convince myself that 'it was either me or them', than 'this person deserves to die'.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:01
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I don't know if I would.
It would really depend on the situation.

If someone lunged towards me with a knife and I did something in retaliation that ended up killing them, I doubt I'd feel much compassion for them.
Sat 18/09/04 at 20:56
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'd feel pretty crap if I killed someone even in self defence.
Sat 18/09/04 at 20:55
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I was reading about this the other day, and I'm pretty sure what Grix and fifi have said about 'reasonable force' is correct.

You just have to satisfy the police/court (if it comes to that) that you didn't go overboard in defending yourself.

I think.
Sat 18/09/04 at 20:42
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yeah, it's all about the interpretation of reasonable force. I think.

Using something to beat off someone attempting to hack you up with your own bread knife = reasonable

Throwing said breadknife in to the back of someone fleeing the scene = not reasonable, though fairly skillful.

Think the problems arise when it's something like, the potential victim hasn't yet been attacked, but feels threatened, and makes the first move in a pre-emptive strike. Then I guess it's up to the jury to decide whether the measures were justified given the threat posed by the weapons of mass de..sorry, breadknife.

I'm no law student, just what I've heard.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.