GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Now it begins"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/01/05 at 08:57
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

News I've just heard tells me the Doom3 Expansion will have it's own gravity gun al la Half Life 2. Expect all FPS in the near future to have an inferior version of valves masterstroke.

True, there's a command to open the "Grabber" in Doom3 itself so technically it predates HL2, but to be honest it was naff.
Fri 21/01/05 at 16:10
Regular
"8==="
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> Doom's always been about loads of little confined spaces and massive
> antechambers.
>
> What I'm trying to get at is that in the original Doom (Just
> remembered that Doom had massive open spaces, so not all or
> iD's engines suck at it) the level architecture was sometimes
> restrictive, but at no point did you feel you were battling against
> it. Doom3 felt like an on rails shooter at points, as the level
> design basically forced you into a narrow tunnel.
>
> Just my opinion.

RTCW was like that on the Xbox. Much more freedom than MoH though.
Fri 21/01/05 at 16:09
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> Pandaemonium wrote:
> I've said before and I'll say it yet again. I want to see System
> Shock 3 using the Doom3 engine. The lighting technology is
> perfect for the title. Shame we'll never see it though.......
>
> Don' be so sure, I did hear there was a System Shock mod for Doom 3
> in the works but it had to be renamed when EA stepped in and
> threatened to sue them. Which could also, possibly indicate that
> perhaps EA are planning on a sequel.

Hmmm. Didn't know any of that. I hope Warren Spector is involved.

> Either way, they'll probably be inferior to Bioshock.

I dunno, I'm not sure about bioshock. I don't like the setting, and I'm not sure about the Tribes engine and the whole "Spiritual successor to System Shock" angle. Still, I'll reserve judgement until I can see a demo. Fingers crossed.
Fri 21/01/05 at 16:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> I've said before and I'll say it yet again. I want to see System
> Shock 3 using the Doom3 engine. The lighting technology is
> perfect for the title. Shame we'll never see it though.......

Don' be so sure, I did hear there was a System Shock mod for Doom 3 in the works but it had to be renamed when EA stepped in and threatened to sue them. Which could also, possibly indicate that perhaps EA are planning on a sequel.

Either way, they'll probably be inferior to Bioshock.
Fri 21/01/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Garin wrote:
> smv wrote:
> What happened to id and originality?

That's commonly associated with Wolfenstein, which in itself was a copy of another title but simply refined. :)

> I think
> they create something to demonstrate their latest engine and the game
> is a secondary concern.

Exactly, but the thing is, they're very good at doing exactly this. They must make a fortune in engine licencing. To be honest, I respect them for this. They provide the technology for third parties to create amazing titles that otherwise may not see the light of day.

Just look at the pile that is Diakatana (sp) for what happens when an ex iD employee tries to actually write a game. ;)

I've said before and I'll say it yet again. I want to see System Shock 3 using the Doom3 engine. The lighting technology is perfect for the title. Shame we'll never see it though.......
Fri 21/01/05 at 13:04
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
smv wrote:
> What happened to id and originality?

Hm, difficult to associate id with originality sometimes, they've usually been at the forefront technology wise but gameplay?
Since about Quake 2 I've always found it incredibly difficult to believe that id have much interest in making games anyway. I think they create something to demonstrate their latest engine and the game is a secondary concern.
Fri 21/01/05 at 09:52
Regular
"serenity now!"
Aren't they also including a "bullet-time/slo-mo" feature as well, a la Max Payne (and now F.E.A.R. and probably quite a few others too)?

What happened to id and originality?
Fri 21/01/05 at 09:11
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hedfix wrote:
> Doom's always been about loads of little confined spaces and massive
> antechambers.

What I'm trying to get at is that in the original Doom (Just remembered that Doom had massive open spaces, so not all or iD's engines suck at it) the level architecture was sometimes restrictive, but at no point did you feel you were battling against it. Doom3 felt like an on rails shooter at points, as the level design basically forced you into a narrow tunnel.

Just my opinion.
Thu 20/01/05 at 20:52
Regular
"8==="
Doom's always been about loads of little confined spaces and massive antechambers.
Thu 20/01/05 at 20:16
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
I don’t think any engine on the market at the moment will live up to the physics Source gave us. Doom3 "Watch my punch this burger box and see it fly towards me". I can’t imagine a gravity gun on any game apart from Half-Life 2 or any game on Source. Another funny thing I found is how will the consoles handle a gravity gun on time splitters 3.
Thu 20/01/05 at 13:10
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Never mind the Gravity gun, the physics felt waaaaay too heavy in Doom
> 3 to pull of what Half-Life 2 did with the Gravity gun.
>
> They need to scrap the level design altogether for me to be
> interested. Doom 3 was far too 'old skool' to prove an interesting
> play.

Must admit that was one of the problems for me. In HL2, each section is visually unique, with a different feel. Doom3? Claustrophibic dark tunnels. Hell? Claustrophibic slightly lighter tunnels. It got really, really boring very quickly. The outside parts were ok but suffered from the same problem as all of iD's engines. They can't handle open spaces well.

I don't mind old skool gaming, but I do mind being restricted in movement while fighting an enemy. Half the time in D3 you were battling the envoinment and not the enemy. Dodge the fireball coming towards you? Quick, to the left. Whups, hit the wall, and take the fireball full in the face.........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.