GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I hate my PC - - I hate PC World."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/09/04 at 21:53
"Majestic"
I hate PC world – for one reason and one reason only. The PC’s they sell are only built to last a year – or maybe 2 if you’re lucky. My and my older cousin went into PC world today to look at graphics cards. Why? Well, if the graphics card wouldn’t work then I’d be able to take it back – where as if I bought a card off the net I’d be stuck with it. Anyway, bare this in mind.

The cards were quite expensive – but I was prepared to spend around 60 – 80 pound because I had my spending pants on. Firstly they wouldn’t let me look at the actual cars in the boxes because they were sealed. Looking in the box is almost compulsory these days as none of them put minimum specs on the box. “We can’t open the box – its against our policy” idiots.

So, I found a card that I might have bought – it was a FX 5700 for 80 pound, not the best card but you need to bare in mind that this is a disposable card to last me less than a year. It said on the Box minimum power supply 250w – well that’s what I’ve got in my PC world computer- 250 bleeding watts.

I doubt a card that wants 250 watt minimum would work on my machine that only has 250 watt that feed 2 CD drives and a HDD amongst other things. They always get the last laugh, it’s their fault anyway, giving me a PC that only has 250 watts in, what goods that. No good.

Of course, I have a bit more PC knowledge now, and I could build me own – but back in the day I had non, PC world seemed like my only option. So where can I go from here?

At least we walked away with a round under our belts as me and my cousin questioned thier money grabbing ways - and PC health checks which violates some act. You should have seen there faces.

I don’t think I have the balls to fit a new PSU because I might blow my mobo, and all cards need the PSU I have in my PC as a minimum – but I need something higher than a MX to play a certain game that requires shaders. I haven’t got much money, so please, if you have any serious answers then I’d like to hear them, but don’t say “save 1000 pound and buy a good machine” because I don’t have much to spend. Ideally 60 quid would be nice.

Anybody?
Thu 16/09/04 at 21:02
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
heh... had a medion too.... what a piece of crap. (It was my dad's). In the end I built my dad a new pc and completely overhauled the medion for my Aunt as a basic computer.
Wed 15/09/04 at 13:22
"Majestic"
Afternoon wrote:
> Yup a Medion PC, the case was rubbish so replaced it, found it glued
> so had a lovely time putting it into the new case.

Heh, i have a medion too...
Wed 15/09/04 at 12:15
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Very_Metal wrote:
> that sounds a little too specific to be random, have you had that
> happen to you?
Yup a Medion PC, the case was rubbish so replaced it, found it glued so had a lovely time putting it into the new case.
Wed 15/09/04 at 12:11
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> I hate PC world – for one reason and one reason only. The PC’s they
> sell are only built to last a year – or maybe 2 if you’re lucky. My
> and my older cousin went into PC world today to look at graphics
> cards. Why? Well, if the graphics card wouldn’t work then I’d be able
> to take it back – where as if I bought a card off the net I’d be
> stuck with it. Anyway, bare this in mind.

Ummm, no. If you buy a graphics card from an online retailer and it goes faulty you just contact the retailer for an RMA number and you send it back. After the first year you then send it back directly to the retailer.
Wed 15/09/04 at 11:47
Regular
"you've got a beard"
true :)

that sounds a little too specific to be random, have you had that happen to you?
Wed 15/09/04 at 11:39
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Unless the maker of the PC glues the PSU plugs to the motherboard.
Wed 15/09/04 at 10:56
Regular
Aye, possible the easiest thing to replace in a PC.
Wed 15/09/04 at 10:53
Regular
"you've got a beard"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> i didn’t really want to wire a new PSU if i could have helped it.

what??
replacing the PSU takes about 5 minutes, why exactly are you trying to avoid it?
Wed 15/09/04 at 10:48
Regular
"you've got a beard"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> Miserableman wrote:
> Also, why on earth did you want to look at the card itself?
>
> Because I wanted to see if it had a female power socket on it. If it
> did then that would be a card that requires more power - would it,
> would it not?
>
> Any help instead of abuse?
>
> If it just bang a card in the requires 250w power supply, what will
> happen? Will it work? Will it crash when you play games? Or might it
> be ok?

well i've got an FX 5700 and it just pops into the AGP slot, no extra power connectors needed or anything.
that said though, 250w is pretty low, get a 450 one or something if you have a few cd drives/zip drives, etc...
you can just put a new PSU in no worries, i've done this to my machine in the last week.
Wed 15/09/04 at 06:06
Regular
"Bicycle"
Miserableman wrote:
> I heard that DELL pull a nasty trick of reversing a couple of the
> pins on their PSUs/motherboard power connectors, so that buying a
> standard replacement PSU without a new motherboard (or vice-versa)
> caused a nasty burning smell and an ex-computer. This would lock you
> into buying replacement PSUs/motherboards from DELL, but you're
> saying an off-the-shelf PSU worked in your DELL?

Evidently not, used the same PSU from a DELL PC into my new one - with different case, mobo etc...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.