GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So Dringo? What sort of handheld action turns you on?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/01/05 at 22:38
Regular
The DS is naff?
Now, Dringo saying something from Nintendo is "naff" is a rarity intself but, the DS?

There's one argument I can think of against handheld games.
That after playing home console standard, it's hard to step down, especially when the prices aren't quite the same step down.

But when you say "Roll on GBA2.", it sort of shows that handhelds aren't the issue...

So what's the problem with the DS?
I notice it has no analogue stick, but everyone keeps saying that the touch screen simulation more or less works as well, so you'd barely notice, including you.

Heck, you want the revolution controller to be a touchscreen!

So is it the DS?
What's wrong with it?
What doesn't it have that the GBA2 will?

Or maybe it's not the DS.
Maybe the games aren't really getting you excited.
The launch games do generally seem a bit basic, being either a remake or a short game, but that was the case with the Gamecube for AGES, and I never heard one complaint then?

So if it's the games bugging you, what's wrong with them, and what're you expecting on the GBA2 that's going to be so much better?

I think a certain someone has gotten into a certain mood and has decided to become Mr Contraversial! You're just winding people up, aren't you! ;-P
Wed 19/01/05 at 22:38
Regular
The DS is naff?
Now, Dringo saying something from Nintendo is "naff" is a rarity intself but, the DS?

There's one argument I can think of against handheld games.
That after playing home console standard, it's hard to step down, especially when the prices aren't quite the same step down.

But when you say "Roll on GBA2.", it sort of shows that handhelds aren't the issue...

So what's the problem with the DS?
I notice it has no analogue stick, but everyone keeps saying that the touch screen simulation more or less works as well, so you'd barely notice, including you.

Heck, you want the revolution controller to be a touchscreen!

So is it the DS?
What's wrong with it?
What doesn't it have that the GBA2 will?

Or maybe it's not the DS.
Maybe the games aren't really getting you excited.
The launch games do generally seem a bit basic, being either a remake or a short game, but that was the case with the Gamecube for AGES, and I never heard one complaint then?

So if it's the games bugging you, what's wrong with them, and what're you expecting on the GBA2 that's going to be so much better?

I think a certain someone has gotten into a certain mood and has decided to become Mr Contraversial! You're just winding people up, aren't you! ;-P
Thu 20/01/05 at 10:32
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Strafio wrote:
> What doesn't it have that the GBA2 will?

Project a clear screen out the top with lazers!

> Or maybe it's not the DS.
> Maybe the games aren't really getting you excited.

Hitting the nail on the head now.

They have a DS and a PSP in a cabinet in a game shop here running. On the one side you have the PSP with a BIG screen showing a beautiful demo of Ridge Racer (even though it may only be the CGI intro), and on the other hand, you have some not so clear DS running all sorts.

Seen Ridge Racer on DS? Looks worse than the N64 one! Well not that I've actually seen it in action, only in mags. But the fact that the PSP one looks SO much nicer isn't good.

The one thing I like about the DS games though, is the stylus type ones. Like the Dogz one, or that surgical one. Ones that make use of the new controls in new and interesting ways. But for people that want racing games and the like, I don't see much of an improvement really.

But that's the price to pay to have the console now, and with a good battery life.

I've hardly bought any games for my GBA because they all seemed to just be remakes of games I've already got on the SNES. I think with the DS this might have to change finally due to the way it works, though Nintendo did release Mario 64 as a launch title... lol. Well, at least they tried this time to alter it slightly.

:)
Thu 20/01/05 at 10:36
Regular
"Two year break!"
This for me was part of the problem with the PSP. It's a wonderful looking thing and the games look superb.

But a little TOO superb. To the point where you think, why bother when it's almost like playing on the PS2? If it's just handheld gaming but nothing new then for me, there's not much point in it.

The DS at least offers something different. Something that isn't just carting around the same games from home.

As long as they can get some decent games coming through then the PSP is going to get some serious competition - despite the fact that the DS isn't as powerful or sexy as the PSP.

And I can assure you that the screenshots just don't do the DS any justice at all. Mario 64 screens looked the best of all I'd seen but it's even better in motion.
Thu 20/01/05 at 10:39
Regular
A: The Gamecube got Pikmin a month after launch, Smash Brothers 2 weeks after launch and Mario Sunshine 3 months after launch.

B: Believe it or not the DS' control system is a bit, well, dodgy. My previous comments had been made based on what I heard from the system and now I've played it. Trying to play Hunters for longer than 15 minutes is a right chore.

C: The games are REALLY shallow. Feel the Magic, although granted is fun and definitly a handheld title, won't stand out as a stunning game for my future. In fact the only game that is alright for longer than 5 minute blasts is Mario 64 DS, and that's just well... not as good as the first one. And after playing Sunshine going back to 64 is a step down, but going another step back. Just not right.

D: I don't re-call saying roll on GBA2. More roll on Nintendo with some NEW announcements. Wario Ware is yet another one of those good handheld games that Nintendo are great at making that'll show the systems capacities in a similar way to feel the magic. But there are games that hold promise, Crystal Chronicles (online anyone?), Animal Crossing, Zelda: Four Swords, Pokemon Diamond... even Mario Kart. Mainly because they could really make that touch screen worth it. Particulary with Animal Crossing. It is a GREAT idea.

E: The DS is not that special, well not at the moment anyway, going to buck my trend a bit though. I played on it again and I had a much longer blast on Mario 64 DS and it isn't nearly as troublesome as I had first found. But meh.

F: Still won't be getting one come launch. Only after May's E3 puts my skepticism to rest.
Thu 20/01/05 at 10:44
Regular
"Two year break!"
I had to mess around with all 5 of the control options in Metroid before finding one I liked.

Think it's a left-handed one I went for in the end (despite being right-handed). Reminds me of the controls in Goldeneye on the N64, having to use the yellow arrow buttons to move around.

Anyway, I think the demo is a promising indication of a decent game.

I'm eager to see Mario Kart and the new Sonic game come through too.
Thu 20/01/05 at 11:11
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
MR.COATES wrote:
> Think it's a left-handed one I went for in the end (despite being
> right-handed). Reminds me of the controls in Goldeneye on the N64,
> having to use the yellow arrow buttons to move around.

But the controls on Goldeneye were spot on! Being able to use the yellow arrow buttons to walk sideways while moving forward is brilliant!
Thu 20/01/05 at 11:18
Regular
"Two year break!"
Exactly - that's my point. When you get used to it, the controls are actually very well planned.

The control method in Metroid seems a little awkward at first but you have to remember that this is the first handheld to use touch-sensitive controls in this way.

Give it time, get used to it, it'll grow on you.
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:14
Regular
"thursdayton!"
I'm getting a sense of deja-vu with a few topics lately.
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:40
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> A: The Gamecube got Pikmin a month after launch, Smash Brothers 2
> weeks after launch and Mario Sunshine 3 months after launch.

Smash Brothers- Remake.
Pikmin - lovely game but incredibly short. Feel the Magic likewise?
Mario Sunshine - 4 months after launch, and it wasn't THAT good... I reckon the DS could have something equivilantly good in that time.

> B: Believe it or not the DS' control system is a bit, well, dodgy. My
> previous comments had been made based on what I heard from the system
> and now I've played it. Trying to play Hunters for longer than 15
> minutes is a right chore.

Told you! :-P
Although people who've sat down with it for more than an hour do claim that "you get used to it".

There wasn't much to argue with in C and D, but it still wasn't very Dringo-like! :-P

> E: The DS is not that special, well not at the moment anyway, going
> to buck my trend a bit though. I played on it again and I had a much
> longer blast on Mario 64 DS and it isn't nearly as troublesome as I
> had first found. But meh.

:-)
I guess you get periods of skeptism with everything sooner or later.
I can foresee you eating atleast half of your words! ;-)

> F: Still won't be getting one come launch. Only after May's E3 puts
> my skepticism to rest.

Well I wasn't even planning on getting one this year...
But hey, I'm not even considering ANYTHING at the moment, apart from perhaps a cheap second hand Playstation with Final Fantasy 7.

Anysway, I'm just teasing you.
Keep it up! :-)
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo wrote:
> A: The Gamecube got Pikmin a month after launch, Smash Brothers 2
> weeks after launch and Mario Sunshine 3 months after launch.

That's the worst list I ever saw. Pikmin was great but short (remind you of anything?) Smash Brothers was a sequel almost identical to the original and SMS was released 3 months after launch. 3 months. And the DS hasn't even been released and you're already saying the games are rubbsh. And why on earth wasn't Super Monkey Ball your list?

New systems don't seem to be released with their best games anymore, because developers need to get to grips with the hardware (Halo doesn't count because it was a Mac port). The first batch of games are never anything that you particularly remember a way into the future.

Touch screen control is not "dodgy", by the way, it's a great new way to play different types of games. Just wait till you play Wario Ware or Yoshi Touch & Go

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.