GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Student Loan Council"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/09/04 at 12:28
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Or something

My dad's salary has went up about 8% from last year as he got a raise. So, when filling in the form for University this year I put he had an increased wage, knowing they'd take a bit off it.

They've taken 65-70% of my loan off me... how they work this one out I have no idea. I don't take handouts from my parents anyway so basically I'm a lot of money down, not enough to afford transport and books.
Sun 12/09/04 at 21:43
Regular
A lot of students waste their loan money, my ex spent all of hers on a trip to Japan. Well her family are well off anyway, she gets given £50 a week to survive on at Uni by her parents.
Sun 12/09/04 at 21:21
Regular
"Excommunicated"
No way my town would have something like that. Oh, and my dad isn't rich whoever said that... that's why I'm complaining.

Costs me £6-7 a day travelling as well, boo hoo.

Everyone else gets it easier.
Sun 12/09/04 at 20:33
Regular
"Light of the world"
Sheepy I advise to REALLY phone around and ask around try your local areas for bursarys and grants.. so many people do not know about whats going on

i.e I attended a school in a well off area more well off than the neighbouring town i live in. The town had a trust - this town saves and gives a certain amount of money away each term to students / young people in which they deem worthy of it. So my head teacher of sixth form informed us every assembly about a possiblilty of free money to ease our loan and use for travel and debt we just had to live 6 miles from school

Uh.. NO ONE whether its because they felt cheap or couldnt ease their parents pain in tuition fees went for this grant except me and another guy who lives blatantly further than i do. He went for a med course so he got more obviously for his like 6 yr course

But I stilol recieving about 550 a YEAR from these nice chappies for travel and books.

Now in your situation you could explain that you may be travelling X amount and this is hard because you are travelling for work ect and it is hindering the whole reason you go to uni!

So, if you have a youth service or connexions team up there search around and ask advice for applying for a grant somewhere

Sheep - believe me this is gonna help me as i am in a similar situation , except yours seems worse
Sun 12/09/04 at 14:58
Regular
"SOUP!"
Sell your body, Sheepy.

I'll take a thigh
Sun 12/09/04 at 14:57
Regular
The tories plan is to scrap the tuition fees but increase the interest rate on your loan, so effectively the fees become part of your loan. So for people like me, who have to take out a huge loan, we are much worse off, however people who don't need to take much of a loan are in a far better situation. Complete bull from my point of view.
Sun 12/09/04 at 14:19
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
What's the bull about the Tories scrapping tuition fees? They expect us to believe that? Not that they will ever be in power again.

I graduated last year, and got a Career Development Loan for a postgrad course... repayments start this month, and I'm unemployed. Over £12,000 student debt and I wish I had got a job at 16... seriously.
Sun 12/09/04 at 13:49
Regular
I get a £4,095 loan + a £1,000 grant + all my fees paid for :), however I am doing a 4 year course so I'm gonna be in a stupid amount of debt when I leave :|.
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:40
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> I'm about a £1000 down now I think. I got about a grand and a
> half last year and now I'm at £530... which is the minimum you
> can get.
>
> So apparently of my dad's 8% rise he's to give me £1000 of it.
> Morons

Well, in theory, he could probably afford to, eg, if he made 25 grand a year, that would make for an increase of 2 grand. But it's still gay.
Tell them your dad is now reduntant and maybe they'll give you more.
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:33
Regular
"All about the Beats"
cookie monster wrote:
> DreamWarBird wrote:
> On my second year, i got less, even though mine and my parents
> income
> didnt change. Plus is had to pay more for course fee's too.
>
> Bummer, my parents income rose slightly, this will be my 3rd year and
> i still get £2,897 (same as last year).

Well my 3rd is Work Experience, so i get no help, and still have to pay course fee's!
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
DreamWarBird wrote:
> On my second year, i got less, even though mine and my parents income
> didnt change. Plus is had to pay more for course fee's too.

Bummer, my parents income rose slightly, this will be my 3rd year and i still get £2,897 (same as last year).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.