GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movie Cliches"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/09/04 at 23:05
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Films are loaded with 'em these days. "Ghost Ship" is one of the worst pieces of drivel, I've had to endure, and couldn't help but spot them everywhere. Let's hear some typical movie cliches that get on your nerves...
Wed 08/09/04 at 23:05
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Films are loaded with 'em these days. "Ghost Ship" is one of the worst pieces of drivel, I've had to endure, and couldn't help but spot them everywhere. Let's hear some typical movie cliches that get on your nerves...
Thu 09/09/04 at 16:47
Regular
"you've got a beard"
the down and out team that turn their fortunes around and win the big prize at the end.. usually with a soaring string score over the top.
Thu 09/09/04 at 16:55
Regular
the main character surviving 99% of the time. Against all the odds.
Thu 09/09/04 at 17:02
Regular
Two Americanisms that really peesch me off:

- Someone hangs up and the person on the other end says "Hello?" when there's obviously a dead dial tone.

- People never finish their food. A blatant example being Bruce Almighty - he just sits down for 30 seconds, takes one bite and leaves when he could've easily taken his time eating and done whatever he was doing later.

- People ring the doorbell and wait about 5-10 seconds before either ringing the doorbell again, banging or shouting. In this country, the normal people wait a good 30 seconds to a minute before ringing again.

- People taking their time to answer the door. E.g. Nip/Tuck (I realise it's not a film, but it's still relevant), where the guy's in the shower, and gets dressed in a full suit before answering the door. Most would either not answer it at all, or just answer in a robe or something. By the time they've had time to get dressed and have a 3-course meal as does happen [/sarc], the person knocking the door/ringing the doorbell would've left.

Grrrr, the second one annoys me so much.
Thu 09/09/04 at 17:47
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
An outpost, on the edge of space...

One man...

When your life is no longer your own...

When everything you know is wrong...

A robot cop, a robot renegade cop...

Anyone ever see the trailer for Comedian? Genius.
Thu 09/09/04 at 19:03
Regular
"lets go back"
The action hero easily defeats rooms full of trained bad guys, often fighting several at a time, yet at the end of the film struggles to beat some random tall bloke (who is usually bald, wearing a white vest and has a moustash) in a fight, just before fighting the main bad guy.
Thu 09/09/04 at 19:04
Regular
Sounds scarily like The Punisher :0x
Thu 09/09/04 at 19:44
"period drama"
When 50 highly trained super-assassin expert marksmen are shooting about 30 bullets each from machine guns towards the hero who's running away from them, in the exact middle of a perfectly straight corridor. Nothing touches him.

And when they always know that the enemy has seen them because a shot bounces off the wall / stair railing. Whereas in real life, you'd know the enemy had seen you because a shot bounces off your brain.
Fri 10/09/04 at 12:02
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The main protagonist of the piece being a burnt out cop with nothing to loose after his family was massacred. Lives in an apartment that’s been left in squalor with empty pizza box’s and beer cans left lying around. Probably also attempts to commit suicide on occasions as well, but eventually find a new love interest and decides against killing himself.

The same cop again, loud mouthed, erratic and probably tortures bad guys to get information. Though he destroys everything in sight and kills armies of criminals, he’s left to his own devices because he “Gets the job done”. There may even be a point where he’s taken off a case and/or chased down by the FBI after he’s framed.

The computer expert who can hack into any computer system around the world by entering a password where the clues have stupidly been left around the immediate area. Passwords usually being the name of a loved one. The same computer experts who can also hack into CIA databases and download virus software by typing in C:/ Download Virus.

The Beautiful girl who’s considered ugly by many because she wears glasses, has her hair tied up in a ponytail and wears baggy clothes. Everyone but the viewer is then amazed when she later takes off the glasses, puts her hair down and wears a stunning red dress to a prom, upstaging all others in the process.

Bad Guys going through the trouble of getting an insider, gathering disguises and arming themselves with all kinds of top of the range firepower and equipment to kidnap the president/steal lots of gold/steal a nuclear bomb, yet failed to take into account that there may be one, renegade cop somewhere offing each bad guy one by one, ruining their plans.
Fri 10/09/04 at 13:58
Regular
"cachoo"
Managing a 10 minute talk - "I love you!" and all that blah before someone dies.

Someone able to go on after being shot in the leg or stomach.. o_O Surely you would drop to the ground screaming in pain! Not exactly a good example of this, but Nicolas Cage does it best in Adaptation, "I've been shot! I've been shot! Haha! Oh, my God! Haha!".. Something like that.

Waking up not looking tired, no lines on the body, complete make-up, etc. Jeez, they should make them sleep for real at least. I think in the commentary on Final Destination, they filmed the first scene and Devon Sawa was really asleep.. but they should film them waking up! Must be hard to remember the lines, though.. :s

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.