GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mini-Gamecube being prepared"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/01/05 at 21:55
Regular
Rumours surrounding a mini-Gamecube, or "Gameboy Evolution" has been cited for some time. Recently Matt from IGN was asked this question:

The Next Game Boy

matt you seem down on the ds but what about the next game boy do you think that could compete with PSP?

Matt responds: Don't let my rants fool you. I'm not down on the DS. I'm just waiting to see its true potential realized. As for the next Game Boy, which I'll call Game Boy Evolution since this seems to be the popular title for it, I'm extremely optimistic.
Actually, based on things I've heard, the paths of the DS and GBE have intersected already. Sources claim that the idea for the next Game Boy took flight right about the same time GameCube launched. The device was merely supposed to be a portable GameCube. Nintendo was hoping to create a synergy between the two platforms. However, for whatever reason -- probably an inability to miniaturize the GameCube at a consumer-friendly price -- the Game Boy successor was abandoned. Instead, Nintendo opted to use an old piece of tech: a hardware dubbed Nitro that was originally developed to be an update to the Game Boy line during the PS1 era. At former NCL president Hiroshi Yamauchi's suggestion, the tech was enhanced with a second screen and later a touch-sensitive interface. Thus, the DS was born.

What's interesting is that work on Game Boy Evolution is allegedly further along than most of us would probably guess. And more intriguing still, sources claim that Nintendo is once again trying to make the machine a portable GameCube.

If that comes to fruition, I will likely be singing the praises of Game Boy Evolution from the very start. It would be an amazing accomplishment. The machine would have a potential library of 500 games from launch. Imagine being able to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race, and Pikmin on the go. It's a Nintendo fan's dream come true.

That... would be... great. And it would mean the Gamecube would continue to have software developed for it.
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:51
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> ...
>
> I'm saying that a portable GC would be of no use. You gonna argue
> with that, homeboy?

No he's saying that if you don't wanna but a new GAmeboy then don't. Good old Nintendo are allowing you to play these Gameboy games on your Gamecube so if you don't want a portable Gamecube then don't get it. But you can still buy the games.

And Nintendo'll be happy because the GBE software is still selling to you. Sure the hardware isn't but the software (where the profits come from) is because you are playing it on the Gamecube.

For those that want a new Gameboy, those who want gaming on the go, those who can't be bothered to fish around for a pre-owned Gamecube... can buy the new Gameboy. And Nintendo have a massive back catalogue of games for them to play on from launch!
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:49
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dringo wrote:
> I maintain the reason why I don't play all my games to death is due to
> lack of time. I'm at Uni, or out and about all the time. I'm not home
> enough!

Well if you can sit around playing handheld games all the time when you're "out and about", whatever you're "out and about" for can't be very important.
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:49
Regular
mattributé wrote:

> -Revolution Release date :- Christmas 2006
> -Evolution Release date :- March 2008

That sounds about right.
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"

I'm saying that a portable GC would be of no use. You gonna argue with that, homeboy?
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:47
Regular
I maintain the reason why I don't play all my games to death is due to lack of time. I'm at Uni, or out and about all the time. I'm not home enough!

No problem with the mini-Gamecube.

Anyway if the system was released in 2007/2008 there won't be any Gamecube games on the shelf, they'd have to be re-released along with it so gamers who don't have Gamecube games can use them.

We wouldn't need it, we've got Gamecube games.

It'd just be the next Gameboy, we get a load of cool new Gameboy games and so forth with the ability to play them on our Gamecube's, if we wanna fish them out, or just play them on the go.

Whitestripes has it down to a tee.

Then GB Player on the Gamecube is like £30... but the £70 GBA SP is what sold more. In fact the GB player barely sold at all. Ask most Gamecube owners if they have a GBA, a good half of them'll say yes. Ask how many have a GB player. a few thousand perhaps?
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:46
Regular
gerrid wrote:
>Get over yourself.

Perhaps when you realise all your arguing about is

"OMG Nintendo are allowing me to play next-gen Gameboy games on a big screen at home without having to buy an adaptor for the Revolution!!111111!"

CRIMINAL! I WANT TO BE CHARGED FOR THIS!
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo wrote:
> Exactly. That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying this'll be released
> in the Gamecube's life time.

If the games were to be rereleased (repackaged like SNES games were), then it would be too soon to do it in the Revolutions lifetime. The GC would be too fresh in your memory to want to play the games again, you'd remember them too well.

I still maintain that if you don't want to play a game you don't want to play a game, whether its portable or not. It's the same game, "on the go" or not - you've already played it enough that you're not still playing it.
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:39
Regular
"tokyo police club"
So, Dring, let's put a timeline down here

-Revolution Release date
-Evolution Release date

Yes?
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Now ffs stop arguing about something we know nothing about.

We're talking about possibilities. I'm saying that a straigt GC gameboy would be rubbish and not worth us buying, Dringo is saying it would. It doesn't matter about facts, it's all hypothetical. Get over yourself.
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:38
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:

> Time span makes a difference too, if the next Gameboy isn't released
> until 2007/8 than it wouldn't matter, even if it did use GC discs.
> Why? Because it would be the Gameboy, and developers love making
> games for it. You would get the normal slew of new Gameboy games,
> with the advantage of being able to dig out your old GC collection to
> play again if you wanted to., or play the new Gameboy games on your
> old GC. Either way it's win-win for the developers, can't you see
> that?

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying this'll be released in the Gamecube's life time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.