GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mini-Gamecube being prepared"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/01/05 at 21:55
Regular
Rumours surrounding a mini-Gamecube, or "Gameboy Evolution" has been cited for some time. Recently Matt from IGN was asked this question:

The Next Game Boy

matt you seem down on the ds but what about the next game boy do you think that could compete with PSP?

Matt responds: Don't let my rants fool you. I'm not down on the DS. I'm just waiting to see its true potential realized. As for the next Game Boy, which I'll call Game Boy Evolution since this seems to be the popular title for it, I'm extremely optimistic.
Actually, based on things I've heard, the paths of the DS and GBE have intersected already. Sources claim that the idea for the next Game Boy took flight right about the same time GameCube launched. The device was merely supposed to be a portable GameCube. Nintendo was hoping to create a synergy between the two platforms. However, for whatever reason -- probably an inability to miniaturize the GameCube at a consumer-friendly price -- the Game Boy successor was abandoned. Instead, Nintendo opted to use an old piece of tech: a hardware dubbed Nitro that was originally developed to be an update to the Game Boy line during the PS1 era. At former NCL president Hiroshi Yamauchi's suggestion, the tech was enhanced with a second screen and later a touch-sensitive interface. Thus, the DS was born.

What's interesting is that work on Game Boy Evolution is allegedly further along than most of us would probably guess. And more intriguing still, sources claim that Nintendo is once again trying to make the machine a portable GameCube.

If that comes to fruition, I will likely be singing the praises of Game Boy Evolution from the very start. It would be an amazing accomplishment. The machine would have a potential library of 500 games from launch. Imagine being able to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race, and Pikmin on the go. It's a Nintendo fan's dream come true.

That... would be... great. And it would mean the Gamecube would continue to have software developed for it.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:15
"period drama"
And it'd need memory-card type thing if the GC discs would be used (and they would be - can't see anyone buying all their games again)

And most of the games wouldn't work on a small screen.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:15
Regular
Wink wrote:
> Yes, I just fear for Ninty and they're public image.

The Gameboy is right up their in terms of sales with the PS2.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:13
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
Yes, I just fear for Ninty and they're public image.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:12
Regular
No they wouldn't that's just it. (to winks post)

For starters EVERY Gamecube owner, well most, would see a point in getting it because they already own a load of games.

Second of all it's a "Gameboy" it might even be backwards compatible with the original Gameboy systems.

A mini-Gamecube, at an affordable price would sell like hotcakes to the Gameboy fans. And more to the point we won't see the shoddy ports because the games are readily avalible! They'll just get re-released in smaller boxes and Nintendo already know what games sell and what don't so they can judge the allocations.

Nintendo could slowly release 500 games over a couple of years, spliced with brand new games....

Oh it is pure genius.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:11
Regular
"bit of a brain"
it would be a rubbish idea if it used separate media, but being able to play all your GC games on it would be a brilliant move.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:07
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
I just cant see it working, yes I will jism at the sight of it but the majority will just think "oh its another GC screw that" this is the thing about ninty they're the best gaming company out there but they dont apeal the most of the market. Why were we overun with idiots?
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:04
Regular
Sounds.... erm amazing.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Sounds delicious, although with the GC discs, it would require mountains of battery life. Just play any GC game and listen to how much the disc is acessed. All the bloody time is the answer.
Fri 21/01/05 at 22:02
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
Sounds....errrm yes.
Fri 21/01/05 at 21:55
Regular
Rumours surrounding a mini-Gamecube, or "Gameboy Evolution" has been cited for some time. Recently Matt from IGN was asked this question:

The Next Game Boy

matt you seem down on the ds but what about the next game boy do you think that could compete with PSP?

Matt responds: Don't let my rants fool you. I'm not down on the DS. I'm just waiting to see its true potential realized. As for the next Game Boy, which I'll call Game Boy Evolution since this seems to be the popular title for it, I'm extremely optimistic.
Actually, based on things I've heard, the paths of the DS and GBE have intersected already. Sources claim that the idea for the next Game Boy took flight right about the same time GameCube launched. The device was merely supposed to be a portable GameCube. Nintendo was hoping to create a synergy between the two platforms. However, for whatever reason -- probably an inability to miniaturize the GameCube at a consumer-friendly price -- the Game Boy successor was abandoned. Instead, Nintendo opted to use an old piece of tech: a hardware dubbed Nitro that was originally developed to be an update to the Game Boy line during the PS1 era. At former NCL president Hiroshi Yamauchi's suggestion, the tech was enhanced with a second screen and later a touch-sensitive interface. Thus, the DS was born.

What's interesting is that work on Game Boy Evolution is allegedly further along than most of us would probably guess. And more intriguing still, sources claim that Nintendo is once again trying to make the machine a portable GameCube.

If that comes to fruition, I will likely be singing the praises of Game Boy Evolution from the very start. It would be an amazing accomplishment. The machine would have a potential library of 500 games from launch. Imagine being able to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race, and Pikmin on the go. It's a Nintendo fan's dream come true.

That... would be... great. And it would mean the Gamecube would continue to have software developed for it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.