GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mini-Gamecube being prepared"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/01/05 at 21:55
Regular
Rumours surrounding a mini-Gamecube, or "Gameboy Evolution" has been cited for some time. Recently Matt from IGN was asked this question:

The Next Game Boy

matt you seem down on the ds but what about the next game boy do you think that could compete with PSP?

Matt responds: Don't let my rants fool you. I'm not down on the DS. I'm just waiting to see its true potential realized. As for the next Game Boy, which I'll call Game Boy Evolution since this seems to be the popular title for it, I'm extremely optimistic.
Actually, based on things I've heard, the paths of the DS and GBE have intersected already. Sources claim that the idea for the next Game Boy took flight right about the same time GameCube launched. The device was merely supposed to be a portable GameCube. Nintendo was hoping to create a synergy between the two platforms. However, for whatever reason -- probably an inability to miniaturize the GameCube at a consumer-friendly price -- the Game Boy successor was abandoned. Instead, Nintendo opted to use an old piece of tech: a hardware dubbed Nitro that was originally developed to be an update to the Game Boy line during the PS1 era. At former NCL president Hiroshi Yamauchi's suggestion, the tech was enhanced with a second screen and later a touch-sensitive interface. Thus, the DS was born.

What's interesting is that work on Game Boy Evolution is allegedly further along than most of us would probably guess. And more intriguing still, sources claim that Nintendo is once again trying to make the machine a portable GameCube.

If that comes to fruition, I will likely be singing the praises of Game Boy Evolution from the very start. It would be an amazing accomplishment. The machine would have a potential library of 500 games from launch. Imagine being able to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race, and Pikmin on the go. It's a Nintendo fan's dream come true.

That... would be... great. And it would mean the Gamecube would continue to have software developed for it.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:14
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> It would be good ONLY IF the games aren't just rehashes of Revolution
> games.

Well, knowing Nintendo, there'd be a lot of handheld type games like Mario Vs. Donkey Kong and Golden Sun and Wario Ware and so forth...

Otherwise I haven't a clue what new games nintendo will release on it.

Ring, ask them.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:12
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:

> Ahaha, can you imagine every GC game being released in a smaller box
> with a £30 price tag?

They'd need to be re-released though because by 2007/2008 they wouldn't be on the shelves anymore. Those that don't have them yet can buy them.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I think I can imagine it. After all, they did it with the GBA.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:11
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It would be good ONLY IF the games aren't just rehashes of Revolution games.
Regular
mermoid wrote:
And more to the point we won't see the
> shoddy ports because the games are readily avalible! They'll just get
> re-released in smaller boxes

Ahaha, can you imagine every GC game being released in a smaller box with a £30 price tag?
Regular
mermoid wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> mermoid wrote:
> AGAIN, I said it would be pointless if it was just a GC that was
> portable.
> If it was a new console, with the focus on new games, that's good.
> If it's a handheld GC, that plays GC games and the odd original
> game...that's completely pointless.
>
> But... I never said that?!?!?!?
>
> "A mini-Gamecube, at an affordable price would sell like
> hotcakes to the Gameboy fans. And more to the point we won't see the
> shoddy ports because the games are readily avalible! They'll just get
> re-released in smaller boxes and Nintendo already know what games
> sell and what don't so they can judge the allocations.
>
> Nintendo could slowly release 500 games over a couple of years,
> spliced with brand new games"

Spliced with brand new games means the odd original game does it?

Spliced = to join

In other words new games joining the old ones.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:09
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> The article says nintendo are working on a portable GC.
>
> this = not useful

Yes as in a Gamecube in the palm of your hands.

This mini-Gamecube can play Gamecube games.

Now I'm assuming, as it would be stupid to do otherwise, that more Gamecube/GBE games would be made, including Nintendo and third party titles. It won't just play Gamecube games. That's just stupid. It'll have its own catalogue of games. These games can also be played on the Gamecube due to the compatibility.

To those not wanting to waste money on a mini system to one they have already should be happy. Gamecube games will be made long into the future.

Those who haven't got a Gamecube and want a GAmeboy should be happy as there are tonnes of games already avalible for it.

Those who'd like the idea of playing Gamecube games on the go will also be happy.

Either way, everyone wins.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:08
Regular
"bit of a brain"
go team 'anti-Dringo robot'
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:08
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dringo wrote:
> mermoid wrote:
> AGAIN, I said it would be pointless if it was just a GC that was
> portable.
> If it was a new console, with the focus on new games, that's good.
> If it's a handheld GC, that plays GC games and the odd original
> game...that's completely pointless.
>
> But... I never said that?!?!?!?

"A mini-Gamecube, at an affordable price would sell like hotcakes to the Gameboy fans. And more to the point we won't see the shoddy ports because the games are readily avalible! They'll just get re-released in smaller boxes and Nintendo already know what games sell and what don't so they can judge the allocations.

Nintendo could slowly release 500 games over a couple of years, spliced with brand new games"
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:07
Regular
Group hug!

Except Dringo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.