GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mini-Gamecube being prepared"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/01/05 at 21:55
Regular
Rumours surrounding a mini-Gamecube, or "Gameboy Evolution" has been cited for some time. Recently Matt from IGN was asked this question:

The Next Game Boy

matt you seem down on the ds but what about the next game boy do you think that could compete with PSP?

Matt responds: Don't let my rants fool you. I'm not down on the DS. I'm just waiting to see its true potential realized. As for the next Game Boy, which I'll call Game Boy Evolution since this seems to be the popular title for it, I'm extremely optimistic.
Actually, based on things I've heard, the paths of the DS and GBE have intersected already. Sources claim that the idea for the next Game Boy took flight right about the same time GameCube launched. The device was merely supposed to be a portable GameCube. Nintendo was hoping to create a synergy between the two platforms. However, for whatever reason -- probably an inability to miniaturize the GameCube at a consumer-friendly price -- the Game Boy successor was abandoned. Instead, Nintendo opted to use an old piece of tech: a hardware dubbed Nitro that was originally developed to be an update to the Game Boy line during the PS1 era. At former NCL president Hiroshi Yamauchi's suggestion, the tech was enhanced with a second screen and later a touch-sensitive interface. Thus, the DS was born.

What's interesting is that work on Game Boy Evolution is allegedly further along than most of us would probably guess. And more intriguing still, sources claim that Nintendo is once again trying to make the machine a portable GameCube.

If that comes to fruition, I will likely be singing the praises of Game Boy Evolution from the very start. It would be an amazing accomplishment. The machine would have a potential library of 500 games from launch. Imagine being able to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Wave Race, and Pikmin on the go. It's a Nintendo fan's dream come true.

That... would be... great. And it would mean the Gamecube would continue to have software developed for it.
Mon 24/01/05 at 22:39
Regular
"bit of a brain"
bricked
Mon 24/01/05 at 22:29
Regular
"thursdayton!"
*wash*
Mon 24/01/05 at 22:16
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> *woosh*
Mon 24/01/05 at 22:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
*wooooosh*
Mon 24/01/05 at 18:57
Regular
"8==="
*woosh*
Mon 24/01/05 at 18:55
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> PSP has REAL good backwards compatiblity.

What is PSP supposed to be backwards compatible with? This is Sonys first proper handheld console.
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:21
Regular
"8==="
Rule 1: You don't EVER drop the backwards compatibilty ball.

Fin.
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:19
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

>
> Having a new Nintendo system based on a optical media system (disc)
> for new "native" games, and a 2nd drive for old style carts
> is unlikely. In order for the all new system to run the old games
> would require dual CPU technology or "in line emulation"
> whereby extra software & hardware converts the old code "on
> the fly" and feeds it into a single CPU. Too expensive, too
> complex.

The DS does it. Has a slot for the new DS cards and the GBA carts.

:P
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:15
Regular
"and PC user"
Hedfix wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
>
> It'll have a port for old carts + a converter.
>
> Top Score you don't just have to have one slot/drive on a handheld
> you fool.

Having a new Nintendo system based on a optical media system (disc) for new "native" games, and a 2nd drive for old style carts is unlikely. In order for the all new system to run the old games would require dual CPU technology or "in line emulation" whereby extra software & hardware converts the old code "on the fly" and feeds it into a single CPU. Too expensive, too complex.
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:07
Regular
"8==="
gerrid wrote:
> back
> of
> the
> net

This works on so many levels.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.