GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game designer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/01/05 at 23:56
Regular
This is around about the time where we all get our college sorted out. At first I looked at the obvious ones - IT.

But now I've come to realise - I don't want to be a programmer.

My ambition is to become a games designer - the one who sits down, thinks about the shape that a game will take the form of, draws out ideas and makes the game itself as good as possible before the coders even touch it.

If all else fails, I'll probably find myself in a PC-building and maintenance job. I'm trying to find information on the net that will point me in the right direction to my primary ambition.

I have spent a third of my PC life messing around with the behind-the-scenes of various games in the form of models, mods and maps. That should stand me in good stead.

Anybody on here to give personal insight?

Though I do doubt it.
Tue 25/01/05 at 21:28
Regular
It's practically impossible to just become a games designer.

That's for the simple reason that games aren't designed by companies as such.

Most developers work on contracts given to them by publishers. Only 1 game pitch in 100 put from an external source to a publisher ever sees the light of day.

Now, ther is only one proper publisher left in the UK, Eidos. It's screwed and will be bought over soon, or go bankrupt, but it has a lot of valuable IP, and Ubisoft are front runners to take them over.

So, being a games designer means two very important things.

1) Unless you go and work abroad for a publisher, you'll never reach game designer status.

2) Unless you become a programmer, set up your own company and be so successful that no publisher would ever turn you down, you'll never be able to work on, design or fund your own game. (i.e. Peter Molineux and Dave jones are the only two in the UK. Molineux did Bullfrog, Theme Park, Syndicate, Black and White, Fable, Jones did Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto).

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the console manufacturers decide with the publishers what they want to make, then they find developers to make it. Games designing is business these days, not innovation anymore, with the exception of a grand few. Kojima, Miyamoto et al don't even get to make their own games anymore, unless they continue to work on the already successful franchises to fund their other projects. That's why Nintendo claim Miyamoto is spread to thinly over too many projects, he wants to innovate, the investors want a ne wMario and Zelda all the time to make money.

Games are big business now, don't make a decision now which will ruin your life and education for a while.
Tue 25/01/05 at 17:14
Regular
"Bicycle"
A gypsy.

Agaagaahahhahahaaha...

*/ Plays fiddle. */
Tue 25/01/05 at 16:01
Regular
"AFC 4EVA"
Lipe wrote:
> What the hell is a carnie?

The people who work at the carnivals. You know traveling versions of small amusment parks.
Mon 24/01/05 at 18:32
Quality assurance, i.e. testing.

Codies have several opening openings right now.
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:38
Regular
What the hell is a carnie?

And what does QA stand for?
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:37
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If you're looking for a route into the games industry, QA is the best and most trodden there is. Testing games is a chore, but if you're good enough you may get noticed. After eight months as a games tester I landed a position as a level scripter, although I was probably more fortunate than most.
Mon 24/01/05 at 15:50
Regular
Deep down everyone wants to be a carnie.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:45
Regular
I've changed my mind. I now want to be a Carnie.
Sat 22/01/05 at 11:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
"Design
Ah, game designer. Quite possibly the industry's most desired and most misunderstood role. Being a designer is not about sitting around thinking up cool ideas and getting paid. But just what is it about, then? As game genres expand and diversify, the designer's role is becoming ever more specialized. From level architecture to fiction writing, we’ll fill you in on the basic elements."

The truth, compliments from IGDA.
Sat 22/01/05 at 09:19
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Jesus. Good luck. That area is even harder to get into than programming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.