GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game designer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/01/05 at 23:56
Regular
This is around about the time where we all get our college sorted out. At first I looked at the obvious ones - IT.

But now I've come to realise - I don't want to be a programmer.

My ambition is to become a games designer - the one who sits down, thinks about the shape that a game will take the form of, draws out ideas and makes the game itself as good as possible before the coders even touch it.

If all else fails, I'll probably find myself in a PC-building and maintenance job. I'm trying to find information on the net that will point me in the right direction to my primary ambition.

I have spent a third of my PC life messing around with the behind-the-scenes of various games in the form of models, mods and maps. That should stand me in good stead.

Anybody on here to give personal insight?

Though I do doubt it.
Fri 21/01/05 at 23:56
Regular
This is around about the time where we all get our college sorted out. At first I looked at the obvious ones - IT.

But now I've come to realise - I don't want to be a programmer.

My ambition is to become a games designer - the one who sits down, thinks about the shape that a game will take the form of, draws out ideas and makes the game itself as good as possible before the coders even touch it.

If all else fails, I'll probably find myself in a PC-building and maintenance job. I'm trying to find information on the net that will point me in the right direction to my primary ambition.

I have spent a third of my PC life messing around with the behind-the-scenes of various games in the form of models, mods and maps. That should stand me in good stead.

Anybody on here to give personal insight?

Though I do doubt it.
Sat 22/01/05 at 00:12
Regular
You have about a 1/10000 chance in succeeding.

xxx
Sat 22/01/05 at 03:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
My house mate did the games course at lincoln university, they now do the games design course at the hull campus which is what you sound like your aiming for. My house mate has been called by 2 companies today about jobs, one as a trainee for a small devloping company and the other is part of a larger company where he would be working on level design for console games.

But your right i used to be on the games course but i still talk to all of the people on it and only 2 of the 79 original people are having any luck in the industry most just settled for IT jobs.

Also most companies arn't looking at people with anything lower than a 2.1
Sat 22/01/05 at 05:17
Great, another one!
Sat 22/01/05 at 08:37
UrkiE-UK wrote:

>
> My ambition is to become a games designer - the one who sits down,
> thinks about the shape that a game will take the form of, draws out
> ideas and makes the game itself as good as possible before the coders
> even touch it.
>

No-one has that power right away, and you can't reach there by simply studying it. Design works closely with script writing, programming and cinematics, and the producer woill probably chip in with their contribution. Another words, you can't just think up a game without taking into consideration other factors. Hence you'll never be able to shape any game "your" way, unless of course you own the comapny yourself.

Game designers nowadays usually work on levels nowadays; world building using the given tools, following a strict checklist given by the people above. A few years and games later and you might get a shot of actually having a position to significantly influence the game, but more probably you'll get laid off before finding another job.

As chippxero said, most people eventually settle for IT jobs after their "honeymoon" with games are over and they remember they need real money to live.
Sat 22/01/05 at 09:19
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Jesus. Good luck. That area is even harder to get into than programming.
Sat 22/01/05 at 11:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
"Design
Ah, game designer. Quite possibly the industry's most desired and most misunderstood role. Being a designer is not about sitting around thinking up cool ideas and getting paid. But just what is it about, then? As game genres expand and diversify, the designer's role is becoming ever more specialized. From level architecture to fiction writing, we’ll fill you in on the basic elements."

The truth, compliments from IGDA.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:45
Regular
I've changed my mind. I now want to be a Carnie.
Mon 24/01/05 at 15:50
Regular
Deep down everyone wants to be a carnie.
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:37
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If you're looking for a route into the games industry, QA is the best and most trodden there is. Testing games is a chore, but if you're good enough you may get noticed. After eight months as a games tester I landed a position as a level scripter, although I was probably more fortunate than most.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.