GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Nintendo rumours"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/01/05 at 23:04
Regular
I thought I'd make a post about them because I like them.

Here are the rumours in brief:

Regarding Mario 128 and Zelda.

. Nintendo tried to re-invent the franchises with Sunshine and Wind Waker. Failing to do so has upset the company but they have given into public demand and created a more mainstream set of titles.

. Mario 128 will be more nostalgic, featuring areas and enemies consistant with the Mario series.

. Zelda will go for the dark adventure look it has always promised to be. Giving a nod towards Lord of the Rings on the way.

Regarding Revolution.

. Since Nintendo invested in Gyro technology it is assumed Gyro controllers will be used. These controllers allow for motion control gaming.

. These controllers won't be wireless initially, Nintendo are developing such an idea though.

. Broadband from the box with online a standard. DS will launch Nintendo's online service but Revolution will follow. Square-Enix are Nintendo's unlikely partner here.

. DS will not link to Revolution. The future Gameboy Evolution probably will.

. The system is backwards compatible with the Gamecube.

. The unit itself will have four controller ports, a hard drive, and support for high-resolution displays and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround sound

. The system will also use dual processors.

. There is more "revolutionary" features to come but not even the rumour-mill would give these up due to Sony and Microsoft copying.

. The Revolution will us HD-DVD. The cheaper competitor to Blu-Ray. It isn't as large as Blu Ray but it does use existing hardware allowing both the console and the games to be produced cheaper. It also means DVD playback is likely. It is still roughly 4 times larger than normal DVD.

. Mario game and Smash Brothers will launch the system. A Zelda game is already being worked on.

Sounds pretty good. Glad to see HD-DVD being used. If Microsoft use it too then it'll make the HD-DVD Vs. Blu Ray fight very interesting.

I think it is a shame Nintendo aren't so keen to experiment with existing franchises. But its nice to get a consistant set of sequels and this may encourage Nintendo to develop new franchises rather than fiddle with old ones.

Thoughts?

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Mon 24/01/05 at 23:04
Regular
I thought I'd make a post about them because I like them.

Here are the rumours in brief:

Regarding Mario 128 and Zelda.

. Nintendo tried to re-invent the franchises with Sunshine and Wind Waker. Failing to do so has upset the company but they have given into public demand and created a more mainstream set of titles.

. Mario 128 will be more nostalgic, featuring areas and enemies consistant with the Mario series.

. Zelda will go for the dark adventure look it has always promised to be. Giving a nod towards Lord of the Rings on the way.

Regarding Revolution.

. Since Nintendo invested in Gyro technology it is assumed Gyro controllers will be used. These controllers allow for motion control gaming.

. These controllers won't be wireless initially, Nintendo are developing such an idea though.

. Broadband from the box with online a standard. DS will launch Nintendo's online service but Revolution will follow. Square-Enix are Nintendo's unlikely partner here.

. DS will not link to Revolution. The future Gameboy Evolution probably will.

. The system is backwards compatible with the Gamecube.

. The unit itself will have four controller ports, a hard drive, and support for high-resolution displays and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround sound

. The system will also use dual processors.

. There is more "revolutionary" features to come but not even the rumour-mill would give these up due to Sony and Microsoft copying.

. The Revolution will us HD-DVD. The cheaper competitor to Blu-Ray. It isn't as large as Blu Ray but it does use existing hardware allowing both the console and the games to be produced cheaper. It also means DVD playback is likely. It is still roughly 4 times larger than normal DVD.

. Mario game and Smash Brothers will launch the system. A Zelda game is already being worked on.

Sounds pretty good. Glad to see HD-DVD being used. If Microsoft use it too then it'll make the HD-DVD Vs. Blu Ray fight very interesting.

I think it is a shame Nintendo aren't so keen to experiment with existing franchises. But its nice to get a consistant set of sequels and this may encourage Nintendo to develop new franchises rather than fiddle with old ones.

Thoughts?

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Mon 24/01/05 at 23:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Some of them sound good. Only rumours, though, so meh, I'm not bothered yet.
Mon 24/01/05 at 23:08
Regular
Hardly sounds 'revolutionary', but still promising (assuming any of this is actually true).

Gimmicky controllers sound a little crap. Why bother changing control over games when there's no need? They tried it with the DS and it just seems to be quite annoying, bar a few games that use properly.
Mon 24/01/05 at 23:16
Regular
But Gyro controllers could be fantastic if implemented right. It could be the future of gaming.

Motion sensor controllers don't sound gimmicky to me.

And this part of the rumour is highly likely.
Tue 25/01/05 at 03:35
Regular
I'll tell you why Nintendo failed to re-invent Mario and Zelda.
They tried to re-invent for the sake of re-invention.
Do something quirky just for the sake of it.

They HAD to do something new (which was good) but for some reason they thought they had to do it with old franchises.
Mario Sunshine just about fitted, and the only real complaint was the lack of game. Zelda seemed really out of place in the Windwaker Universe.

I don't think that existing franchises should be messed too much with.
I mean, not that they should stick rigidly with them, but it's out of place to wildly experiment with something that people have such expectations with.

Also, Nintendo should have no fear in introducing new franchises.
Mario, Starfox, Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon... they all started somewhere.
Pikmin was genius and would've done a lot better if they'd made more of a game than a demo. I'll definately pick up the sequel someday.

And assuming that these rumours are true, only the Gyro thingamy is the only thing remotely "revolutionary".
The rest was pretty standard stuff.
I'm sceptical to the bone, but atleast that means that Nintendo can only pleasantly surprise me, it means I won't be impatiently waiting for it, fustrated while the Japs and Yanks get first play, and I won't feel the need to blow a fortune getting it on release before the "full potential" games are released.

Therefore there won't be so much riding on it when I play on it, and I'll be more able to enjoy it for what it is. I'm going to enjoy the revolution so much more than you Dringo, so up yours! ;-P
Tue 25/01/05 at 11:52
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> . There is more "revolutionary" features to come but not
> even the rumour-mill would give these up due to Sony and Microsoft
> copying.
Tue 25/01/05 at 13:22
"period drama"
Dringo wrote:
> Motion sensor controllers don't sound gimmicky to me.

Ahaha.
Then you, sir, are a fool.
Tue 25/01/05 at 14:03
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Motion sensor controllers don't sound gimmicky to me.
>
> Ahaha.
> Then you, sir, are a fool.

Well it won't be a gimmick if every game uses them, which by the sounds of it they have too.
Tue 25/01/05 at 14:07
"period drama"
But it'll still be a lot more irritating to use than a normal controller, no matter how many games use it, and they'll be missing out on a lot of 3rd party support by nor using a system easily adapted between consoles.
Tue 25/01/05 at 15:22
Regular
Every third party has to deal with changing controller configuartion. I dunno how the controllers work to know exactly.

How do you know it'll be fiddly? Sure you won't take to it instantly. But then Nintendo want that, they want gamers to come to games a fresh. As if they're starting again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.