GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Nintendo rumours"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/01/05 at 23:04
Regular
I thought I'd make a post about them because I like them.

Here are the rumours in brief:

Regarding Mario 128 and Zelda.

. Nintendo tried to re-invent the franchises with Sunshine and Wind Waker. Failing to do so has upset the company but they have given into public demand and created a more mainstream set of titles.

. Mario 128 will be more nostalgic, featuring areas and enemies consistant with the Mario series.

. Zelda will go for the dark adventure look it has always promised to be. Giving a nod towards Lord of the Rings on the way.

Regarding Revolution.

. Since Nintendo invested in Gyro technology it is assumed Gyro controllers will be used. These controllers allow for motion control gaming.

. These controllers won't be wireless initially, Nintendo are developing such an idea though.

. Broadband from the box with online a standard. DS will launch Nintendo's online service but Revolution will follow. Square-Enix are Nintendo's unlikely partner here.

. DS will not link to Revolution. The future Gameboy Evolution probably will.

. The system is backwards compatible with the Gamecube.

. The unit itself will have four controller ports, a hard drive, and support for high-resolution displays and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround sound

. The system will also use dual processors.

. There is more "revolutionary" features to come but not even the rumour-mill would give these up due to Sony and Microsoft copying.

. The Revolution will us HD-DVD. The cheaper competitor to Blu-Ray. It isn't as large as Blu Ray but it does use existing hardware allowing both the console and the games to be produced cheaper. It also means DVD playback is likely. It is still roughly 4 times larger than normal DVD.

. Mario game and Smash Brothers will launch the system. A Zelda game is already being worked on.

Sounds pretty good. Glad to see HD-DVD being used. If Microsoft use it too then it'll make the HD-DVD Vs. Blu Ray fight very interesting.

I think it is a shame Nintendo aren't so keen to experiment with existing franchises. But its nice to get a consistant set of sequels and this may encourage Nintendo to develop new franchises rather than fiddle with old ones.

Thoughts?

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Sat 05/02/05 at 11:42
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

> That will be the majority of gamers then

The majority of gamers are more intrested in "How many killings are there?"
Sat 05/02/05 at 11:24
Regular
[URL]http://www.mediaatlantic.com/section.php/1220/0/66c01e27e96735e14e24bae12bf9fd59[/URL]

There you go Mac.

You can easily play them in your standard DVD player.

They're just smaller.
Sat 05/02/05 at 01:09
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'm guessing that the Revolution will probably have a HD. They're cheap and small nowadays, and it does offer more scope for more integrated games.
Sat 05/02/05 at 00:41
Regular
"8==="
But it stops their machines from being able to play DVD's and CD's. Not exactly a big problem, but if someone wants a new DVD player and a console then they may choose to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Custom soundtracks don't hurt either. Although with a reasonable memorycard size the revolution could manage that.
Sat 05/02/05 at 00:16
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

> That will be the majority of gamers then

Really? Okay lets try it, I'll ask my brother, who is an X-box fan.

"Chris who cares about the size of the discs, I just play games"

Lets ask my other brother who is a Gamecube fan.

"I have no idea what you're chatting about".

Okay there's 2 gamers who don't give a toss.

Lets do a little survey here?

Who cares about the size of game discs? Considering that it doesn't really effect anyone at all?

If you think the majority of gamers care about the size of discs then you are so mistaken.

Nintendo using a specially designed format reduces and stops piracy whilst also reducing loading times. Sure it maybe smaller. But it really doesn't make a difference.
Fri 04/02/05 at 23:13
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Ah, so some of your famous "facts", Macintosh?

To clear up the whole Blu-Ray/HDDVD argument:
HDDVD is an industry approved format, using a blue laser system (manufactured by Toshiba) and higer capacity DVDs (15GB single side 30GB double layer/double side). Production of discs requires a "retooling" of existing DVD production equipment, but the discs cost the same as DVDs. It was designed originally as a ROM medium, although recordable discs and players have now been approved

Blu Ray is an unapproved format, backed by Sony and Dell for manufacture. It can hold a variety of storage (23.5, 25 or 27GB single sided and up to 50GB double layered/double sided). Disc production requires a new assembly line. It was designed primarily as a recordable medium, although also available in ROM format, although neither format is approved as of yet.

Players can be modified, although the laser that reads HDDVDs can also read regular DVDs, as they are in the same basic format. Blu Ray lasers cannot read normal DVDs, so would require a second laser, or modified hardware.

Ok I hope that clears up some stuff. Basically - Blu Ray is a replacement whereas HDDVD is an upgrade. For manufacturers to support Blu Ray, they need to build extra production plants, and basically spend a hell of a lot of money, something that will be communicated to the consumer in the price of the format in the first few years. It is my understanding that HDDVD plants can still produce regular DVDs, making the format much more manufacturer and consumer friendly, cost-wise. Whether the consumer really needs an upgrade or a replacement for DVD is another matter, although it is fare to say that most games nowadays don't even use half the space available on a single layered/sided DVD, so the need for upgrade is really quite questionable.

As for your quibbles about Nintendo not using DVD - the GC disc is a DVD disc, there are no two ways about it, it is just a smaller disc with less capacity. The capacity has never been much of a problem, although some GC FMV does turn out with worse quality that its PS2 and Xbox counterparts. The benefit of the medium is the shorter loading times due to less laser travel. To take an example, loading a game in Madden 2005 takes approximately 10 seconds on the GC, and closer to 25 seconds on the PS2 or Xbox. Nintendo will most likely use HD DVD in its next console, although they are loath to do this, because it means that publishers will not have to pay them to produce the discs, and so Nintendo will gain less money off each game.
Fri 04/02/05 at 14:35
"period drama"
Yeah, I have weekly meetings about the very real threat of games being on 2 discs. Won't somebody please think of the children!?

I can hardly sleep at night.

My God, you giant penis.
Fri 04/02/05 at 14:07
Regular
"and PC user"
Dringo wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> bloody moaning and find something important to complain about.
>
> The year is 2008, and the latest high def games running and a
> trillion gigaflops per second are shared over 2 discs.
> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
>
> Tell people who give a s**t.

That will be the majority of gamers then
Fri 04/02/05 at 13:01
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
bloody moaning and find something important to complain about.
>
> The year is 2008, and the latest high def games running and a
> trillion gigaflops per second are shared over 2 discs.
> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Tell people who give a s**t.
Fri 04/02/05 at 12:56
Regular
"Long live videogame"
It about the quality of the games not the capacity of the format surely.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.