GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web design standards."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/08/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, I've taken a bit of a ribbing lately because I went headlong into HTML years and years ago, learnt what I thought was everything, then moved onto more complicated scripting languages, forgetting some of the most basic HTML things, like putting the tag in the proper place. I know where it goes, but my mind puts it there because I've done it so often. Anyway, enough of my problems, this is the place to list all your web design standards that you think every site should comform to.

Take it away, Tyla...
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Colo RedBus coming soon :-)

Thing about ASP is, it takes SO MUCH EFFORT to do ANYTHING! Have you seen the code needed to connect to any database? Rediculous! And as for features, there are none whatsoever. Absolutely anything you can think of that isn't strictly string manipulation requires you to license external software! It costs, I reckon, over £1000 to get an site license for the stuff that PHP will do out-of-the-box!
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:46
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Cool.

I've just had a quick crash course in ASP / SQL but have already convinced them to use Linux / PHP if it suit the purpose better.

Trying also to get all of our *nix accounts held at DC. Current use a really cr@p Host who's Win2K3 only. IIS sucks! Soon get in a Linux Server, give it a week or two!;)
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tyla wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> For what it's worth, I started off as a freelance Internet
> developer,
> but as from Tuesday I'll be starting full time.
>
> Excellent, who you starting full time with?

Bronco Internet, they write ASP mainly, but I'll be hoping to help them bring in a PHP department. It's standard web design fare, but I'll probably be helping with some of their SEO applications.
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:14
Regular
So who are you working full time for then?
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> Yeah, thought you were still a ultra anti-social nerd still in school.

I'm not anti-social, I just hate everybody in the bloody place :-)
Sat 28/08/04 at 23:37
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Tyla wrote:
> One day I'll finish it, but unfortunatly Sony, 3Com, Cisco and HP
> have to come first

Don't suppose we can blame you for the mess that is the Sony site at the moment can we? Please, please, make someone get some sort of standard design together, trying to use it quickly at work is a nightmare :/
Sat 28/08/04 at 22:34
Regular
Yeah, thought you were still a ultra anti-social nerd still in school.
Sat 28/08/04 at 21:49
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> For what it's worth, I started off as a freelance Internet developer,
> but as from Tuesday I'll be starting full time.

Excellent, who you starting full time with?
Sat 28/08/04 at 20:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
For what it's worth, I started off as a freelance Internet developer, but as from Tuesday I'll be starting full time.
Sat 28/08/04 at 19:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> Tyla, you're a freelancer right? Did you start off like that, or
> become one after years of service to other companies?

I do both. I'm employed full time as a Website Designer/Graphic Designer as freelance as the same thing. Only been freelancing for 2 years but have been working in the industry for over 6.

There's nothing wrong with diving stright into freelance work, I hjave a few friends that went that way, but going through the "working" route as I have gives you a better idea on how companies percieve things.

Ironicly, the firm I just resigned from have invited me back as a freelancer for a project which will pay me more in 3 months that I would have earned in 6 months being employed by them!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.